The Coffee Cup

The Coffee Cup

A Story by amz
"

You know when you are so lost in your head in denial that the world seems secondary and less real than your thoughts?

"

“Please try to understand,” you plead.

I can feel your hesitation as you attempt to look into my eyes, but my gaze has not left the smooth handle of the coffee cup resting on the edge of the circular glass table that separates us. I can hear your words blowing passively in the wind, feel them tenderly stroke my cheek as they gradually make their way up to my ears, and form a home inside my head. My eyes move slowly from my cup, delicately caressing the table towards you, stopping abruptly at your mouth. My heart swells in my chest at the sight of your perfectly sculpted lips. I remember the way they pressed firmly against mine for the first time years ago, catching me off guard. My mind wanders as I recall how you tentatively took my hand in yours, wrapped your other arm around my waist like a vine snaking around a lightpost, and pulled me in close. You leaned to the right a bit so your mouth was centimeters from my left ear and parted your lips, your breath warm against my skin. My ear tickled as you spoke those three words. Was it really so long ago?

Lost in memories, I realize your lips have been dancing, trying to tell me something, but I do not hear a sound. I attempt to make out your words, but they sail from your mouth and hit the tiled floor beneath us. I think I can hear the collision as they fall, but I am not certain. Is it raining? I glance out the window crafted in the wall behind you, consumed with thoughts of the weather and wonder if I am losing my mind. The clouds have taken over the horizon line, but there is not a water droplet in sight. I close my eyes, engulfed in doubt and confusion, and try to collect my thoughts.

My eyes flash open as your fist smacks hard against the table. What are you doing? Your lips are moving rapidly now. I shake my head and try to refocus my eyes on your mouth, and strain to hear your muffled words, so lost to reality. You abruptly reach out and grab my chin, forcing my eyes to meet yours. A wave of distress crashes over me, as I notice an intensity and anger that I have never seen before in your usually peaceful, ocean-blue eyes. I can feel the saline start to stream down my face, and shamefully move my eyes to the ground. There they stay, as your words finally hit my chest.

“I don’t love you anymore.”

Your fingers loosen their grip on my chin and softly graze my cheek. I open my lips to protest the words I never expected to hear, but before I can get a sound out, you’re gone, and I am left here disillusioned, with nothing but a coffee cup to console me.

© 2014 amz


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

beautiful amzz

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sheer poetry and powerful. The title was misleading, though appropriate - I wouldn't change it, or any part of it...except as I was reading it I heard the word :
delicately crossing the table to you,
instead of crossing...caressing the table toward you.

Just a thought. I love your writing though, so detailed without being over the top.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mmm...rude character yet prissy thoughts.

Oftentimes, we mistakenly believe that lust can be considered as love. But these two are wholly different.





Posted 11 Years Ago


Some sad moments will never leave us. I like the thoughts and story. I like the use of coffee in the poem. Coffee and conversation does walk hand in hand. Thank you for the excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh wow, I was absorbed from the very first word, that ending was like a punch in the chest. Nothing detracted from your line of fire, it's all perfect. And sad.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautiful. Just beautiful!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is where you shine...this is beautiful work that needs absolutely nothing added nor taken away...as close to perfection as writing gets...I love this piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

KAOlmsted

11 Years Ago

You're #2 on the popular writing list...good on ya. And yeah, isn't that how the Beatles felt after.. read more
amz

11 Years Ago

what! i am? :) that's amazing, thanks for letting me know!

coincidentally just got done.. read more
KAOlmsted

11 Years Ago

Yes ma'am...
Nice poetic flair with high emotion. Great Job amz

Posted 11 Years Ago


amz

11 Years Ago

:) Yay thanks!
A story that has some poetic elements. I like this. I like the flow that you are lost in your mixed emotions. A relationship on its end is, indeed, confusing, and you really, really captured that well. Good job, girl!

Posted 11 Years Ago


amz

11 Years Ago

Thank you! I really tried to capture the confusion and denial/absence from reality that comes with a.. read more
Wow... this is wonderful. I mean, sad as hell and it made me cringe when 'he' said those words but you wrote it beautifully. My god, keep writing like this! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


amz

11 Years Ago

Ahh, why thank you. This one really meant a lot to me. It was months worth of feelings pouring out o.. read more
That_Girl

11 Years Ago

It did feel very personal. Bravo my dear! :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

615 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 26, 2012
Last Updated on January 9, 2014
Tags: disillusion, love, lost, confused, heartbreak, coffee, cup, date, boyfriend, loss, sad, thoughts, memories, break up

Author

amz
amz

Toledo, OH



About
I'm Ann-Marie. I'm 30 years old. I'm happy and confused and content and dissatisfied and lost and found all at once, and I'm still trying to figure out how that can be. I used to write on and off .. more..

Writing
Voicemail, 4 am Voicemail, 4 am

A Poem by amz


Voicemail, 3 am Voicemail, 3 am

A Poem by amz


Voicemail, 2 am Voicemail, 2 am

A Poem by amz



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fast Track Fast Track

A Poem by Frieda P