unrelated prose

unrelated prose

A Story by anamezic



In Santa Barbara, summer doesn't come on the first of June. Instead, it shatters across the seasons, tiny filaments glinting even in the darkest months, and casts a facade from their prisms.  People are hungry for it. In June, tourists spew out of taxies, cruise ships, trains and planes like a tidal wave of vomit. Couples hold each other and their shopping bags  pretending for the day that they too are part of this coy escape from the rest of the country. Surely someplace so akin to heaven is exempt from the corruption of consumerism and politics. People come here to forget. I've seen them, with their laughter. Families strolling down State Street dressed up, sun drunk, flushed cheeks pushed back by their smiles. I always thought it strange how all animals bare their teeth at each other for one reason or another.



Kepler-62e.
A planet with the potential to host life was discovered in the constellation Lyra, which I think is quaint and somewhat poetic, but the potentials won't know it, and when we tell them, they wont care and, most likely, laugh, however they do. Kepler-62e circles its star in 122.4 earth days. It can take much less than that to die from cancer and much more to realize someone stopped loving you long ago. In Greek Mythology, Orpheus, a musician poet prophet, was killed at the hands of those who could not hear his music. His head and lyre, still playing, floated down the to the Mediterranean shore where winds and waves brought them to the Lesbos islands before his lyre was carried to the skies by muses to spend eternity (or, the road to complete entropy) as a constellation. Sometimes I wish American politics was being strangled by mythology rather than monotheism. At least the Greeks didn't pretend any god made in the image of man was exempt from his flaws. 

© 2013 anamezic


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is amazing prose, anamezic. I love the images you displayed in the first prose section. "like a tidal wave of vomit" really caught my attention. Tourists do seem to have that affect. I love how you stretched the second prose section from the constellation Lyra to it's counterpoint of Orpheus and his lyre. Such beautiful weavings you have here. I enjoyed reading them both so much.

Posted 10 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

837 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 20, 2013
Last Updated on May 20, 2013

Author

anamezic
anamezic

CA



About
19 year old from California moving to Brookyln for an education. work inspired by digitization/ philosophy/ degenerate mental health and unfaltering romanticism more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..