Answers

Answers

A Story by Angela Hunter

My mind clears as fast as the smoke from my pipe. I do not want to dream tonight. The dreams are getting more and more vivid and I refuse to look on her face for one more night.
I can't remember how this started; all I remember is sitting on the porch with him, sharing the excitement in the novelty of our indulgence. I remember that excitement dissolving like the snow he held to his face to thwart the foreign sickness. It's not dangerous, he had said, yet I stood there, holding my breath as he stumbled over the necessity to breathe.
Days later, my head lay in his lap as I stumbled over the same problem. My heart beat out of my chest, out of this universe, as I fell deeper and deeper into him; closer and closer to the most raw, most pure form of pain. But, though I felt it at the time, I did not understand the gravity that tugged on me that night and all the nights since.
Winter melted into spring, and summer brought forth a vitality that I never knew before and have not known since.
Night after night, the smoke settled, a carpet swirling around our ankles as we formed a ceiling of laughter. I would lean against him and a kiss would fall on my face, but it was not mine to keep. Still, I found his smile in my lips and my breath in his words.
Somewhere along the lines, fall was lost and winter's heavy snow has brought with it a stronger gravity. My scene is up and it's time to move aside for the star of the show. But watching this performance is what gives me nightmares. I wake before dawn and she is the image fading in my eyes. Who is she, that she has access to my most private existence? I ponder her role and my insides reject her mention. I look to him for answers, but he turns his face from me. When did the floor become so magnetic that even my knees cannot resist it? I grant it my hands, too, and soon it takes even the water from my afflicted eyes. I hear a whisper, so I push against gravity enough to raise my head. Before me booms a Great Voice, offering a hand against the gravity. I am grateful, but my spirit remains on the floor. The Great Voice comforts me and offers me a single word: love. But those four tiny, insignificant letters hold all the peace and all the answers I needed.
I love him.

© 2014 Angela Hunter


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

angela this is absolutely brilliant! you're so good with words. I like the introspection and the analysis.
super write.
one question, though. shouldn't you seperate his thoughts and her thoughts? different paragraphs.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Angela Hunter

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the review! :)
The "her" that is being referred to is a different girl. Thanks f.. read more
Woody

9 Years Ago

ok gotcha. they kind of merged but if you meant it that way, that's fine. and you're welcome :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
1 Review
Added on November 19, 2014
Last Updated on November 29, 2014
Tags: answers, love, snow, winter, spring, summer, fall, year, boy, excitement, God