IN BLACK AND WHITE!

IN BLACK AND WHITE!

A Story by angelina neves
"

Albert's Poetry Cafe ~ "The Writers Nook" ~ Essay Topic "Knowledge"~

"

 

IN BLACK AND WHITE!
 
When we are young we try to simplify things. We try to “be sure” about them. Everything is so new and instable all around that we have to hold to some convictions to feel stable in some way! So we need to see things in “black or white”: or it is bad or it is good; or it is an angel or it is the devil;or it is courageous or is a coward; or it is beautiful or it is ugly;or it is intelligent or it is an a*s;or it is love or it is hate; or it is true or it is a lie…
 
It is so much simpler to have everything in black and white!
 
But if we look attentively and closer, life and all that surrounds us have so many colors, so many tonalities, and so much diversity, that the most difficult thing we can do is to find out the “black and white”! As there are so many ways to look at the same thing or situation that is not easy to see the simplicity of “yes or no”! And each one of us can admire or criticize the same thing or situation in a total different way, sometimes only depending on the disposition of the day, the way we raise from bed that morning!
 
Is it because of our laziness and commodity that we hold to the “black and white”? Is it because we just want so much to be “children protected by some god or leader” and as so let them decided for us what is “good and bad”? Is it because it is so easy to choose just a one way street, a given attitude, “following the leader” as any child? The simplicity of a childish life!
 
Byt the simplicity of “right or wrong” leads us to the conviction that “the others” are always wrong, and that we must “honor” our fathers and gods and leaders and those "given" principles! Then, as we think we when “adults” decide to defend, at all costs, those little miserable corners where we hide from the unbalanced world, so our “security” will not be threatened.
 
Forgetting we have the all Universe of colors, feelings, ideas, that we have in our hands this beautiful place, so diverse, malleable, full with all the tonalities of the rainbow colors, where nothing is ever equal to what has been in the moment that passed!
 
And here we are sailing in our sea of ignorance. Not giving our selves and others the opportunity of question convictions, rules, values, preconceived ideas and ideals. And then we fight and die for them!
 
Seeing the world as a rigid place full of rules to follow, believing this is black and white world, a dog’s world where ones must eat others to survive, is just a way for us not to assume our responsibilities of “grown ups”, adults that we should be.
 
Will we ever grow up to be real adults?! When are we going to learn to look at things in their different angles and lights?! When are we going to try to see that we can only jump forward by putting “doubts” in what we had “certainties” before?
 
In a way I believe that real knowledge must be to know, inside ourselves, there is no “black or white” in this world!
 

© 2009 angelina neves


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Congratulations for winning the essay-on-knowledge contest!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Very wise observations.....loved the concept and thought this
was a truly outstanding write. Thanks Angie for submitting this
to my contest. L&L ~ Helena

Posted 14 Years Ago


There is a lot to this writing to take to heart. I like the comparison to colors and tonalities. Very good points are raised. Well done Angelina.

Posted 14 Years Ago


What a fantastic piece of writing! Brilliant observations!

Posted 14 Years Ago


You're right Angie. There is no black and white. Black is the abscence of light and white is the abscence of color. Think of the rainbow. It has every color of the color spectrum, although any differences are so subtle they can't be seen, because they blend together. That's why the sky is blue.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 11, 2009


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..