Dysphoria

Dysphoria

A Poem by Anna

I sand smooth
     the rough
          edges of my words,
     over and
          over again.

Running fingers
     over them, only to
          find flesh still snags.
     I push harder
          down upon them,
     until blood
          has coated ink.

Turning red
     the ebony lines
          of dissatisfaction.

Still...
     they are not refined,
          not smooth
     to the minds
          touch.

A finer grade
     of sandpaper
          is needed,

but...
     will do nothing.

© 2009 Anna


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well, as the Greek word says, dusphoros - hard to bear ... dissatisfaction is a state of consciousness, so to be aware is the most important thing. I always feel dominated by my dysphoria, like I had it the last weeks, ill and paralyzed by illness, but it's over, and I am home again.
This poem deals with writer's block, very poetic and pretty.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wonderful piece.

Speaks to me of the fine art of perfectionism, of never quite getting it smooth enough, never getting the wording just right (write). You portray wonderfully the obsessiveness, the constant striving, and the awareness that no matter what we may change, we may not be satisfied, still.

I thank you for it. I enjoyed the read.


Posted 8 Years Ago


Less writer’s block and more the everyday behaviour of a writer I would say. Isn’t this what we all do? Obsess, labour and agonise over every word?

This poem speaks to me of the blood, sweat and tears we put into our work and the fear that it is never good enough. It eloquently hits the nail on the head of the editorial process. It made me cry "YES, that's it!!! that's exactly how it feels!" especially that "not smooth to the mind's touch" line.





Posted 9 Years Ago


This is both intense and evocative. You have also achieved
Brevity without losing depth.
Nice!

Posted 10 Years Ago


I can't rate poetry 1-100 so no rating. You are saying something important, I like the piece, and if it didn't tell me you wanted more from it I would still know. I can feel the heart of a writer struggling to say something about the meeting point of words and ? (what ever you call it). I suggest a possible last stanza that confirms what you do know.Because I know you do. :)
Alex

Posted 10 Years Ago


Very awesome! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JRB
not bad great thought

Posted 12 Years Ago


http://poeticvoice.ning.com/

We are an online writing community that provides writers with the feedback, motivation, and advice needed to achieve their writing goals.The Poetic Voice Community is fast and easy to join, and you will not get lost in it's easy maneuvering features. We here at Poetic Voice also hope to grow as a community of friends. Our intention, and wish is to learn and share with others. Basically we believe an open mind, and heart can promote growth. We hope to gain an understanding that can stretch and reach around the world.

Posted 13 Years Ago


...

Posted 14 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1497 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 15, 2008
Last Updated on April 18, 2009

Author

Anna
Anna

NJ



About
Anna is the author of 4 books of poetry and has been featured in many literary journals and magazines in Europe and in the U.S. more..

Writing
Forgotten Forgotten

A Poem by Anna


fallaciousness fallaciousness

A Poem by Anna


Cultivation Cultivation

A Poem by Anna



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Last Waltz The Last Waltz

A Poem by Muse