Friendship

Friendship

A Story by annalysiar

Amy stood at her locker with her head down, a habit from the shame of being in school. Her hair was so curly it almost looked poofy her sister, Rose, always said it was beautiful. Especially when their mother would style it in perfect doll like curls that she loved. Honey brown eyes looked into her locket, at her books, and she reached for the ones she would be using this morning:
History
English
Math
All advanced classes from years of studying and learning with Rose and her best friend, Brian. Amy was petite, pixie like with big wonder filled eyes that only tended to see the good in everything. Maybe that's how she got herself into this fix...as if on cue, three beautiful girls who wore makeup and gel in their hair slammed her locker shut with a loud clang, as the metal door collided with its frame. The sound made Amy flinch and clutch her book to her chest.
She ducked her head into her books as the three popular girls surrounded her.
"I don't know why she's so quiet." One girl, Anabel, with curly black hair that always seamed to be styled perfectly, sneered.
"Yeah; thinks she's better than us or something." the second girl, Justine, scoffed with a flip of her long blonde hair. These girls were those girls who could pose for magazines and whose makeup was always perfect. Little Amy closed her eyes to her anxiety and her pounding heart. It wasn't like anyone was going to stop this. Her sister was busy with sports and gymnastics. And Brian was an honor roll student, class president, student council president. He was also an athlete. He barely had time for her sister... let alone her. Teachers didn't help. Her mother would flip, should she find out, and Rose would more than likely be expelled for beating these three girls.
"Hey! Cotton ball, we're talking to you over here." The third girl, Susan, the twin sister to Justine, snapped her manicured fingers in Amy's face. Amy blinked away her tears. Her mother loved her hair, and Brian's mother loved her caramel skin...she was beautiful right? She wasn't stupid or anything these girls were saying....right?
"She's just stupid. Its why she's not responding."
Anabel said again. Amy sighed as she bit her lip to keep from crying.
"Perhaps she needs to have an actual intelligent conversation." A cool voice snapped. "Maybe you should try to be nice to her." He sneered as he stepped between the girls and Amy before Justine could shove Amy's books to the hallway floor. Amy ducked her head further. The last thing she needed was a boy to make fun of her too...
"Its unbecoming to pick on little girls. Or are girls your age too smart for you three to pick on?" The boy sneered again as he folded his arms across his broad chest as he glated at the girls. Amy looked up wide eyed to see Brian, her sisters best friend protecting her. He stood tall, neck length black hair against light brown skin that his mother was very protective of; something about perfect brown skin. His eyes were a light chocolate brown that made her jealous. He was wearing dark blue jeans and a white t-shirt with a red button up over it. Amy blinked as the three girls stumbled over themselves to be on his good graces, but he continued to glare at them, unrelenting to their charm.
Brian was about to speak again, when Rose stumbled over, having just came from practice. Amy smiled forgetting about her tears. Rose, her dedicated, hard headed older sister who was a barrel of laughs in the right atmosphere; and a total firecracker when angered. Her protective older sister who never let anyone touch her..Amy had lost count of how many times Rose had been sent home for fighting...because people insisted on bothering her. She stood tall and proud like her mother with straight dark brown hair that looked black. Her peach colored skin was tanned from practicing outside. She walked, or tried to under the weight of her bag, in skinny jeans and a red see through shirt with a black tank underneath.
"Brian, Amy what's- why are you crying?" Rose asked as she watched Amy's hand when she wiped away her tears. Amy's heart started to pound again as Rose shoved past the girls and Brian and inspected her sister, then she surveyed the scene, and lastly looked at the girls who caught her eye. Amy could feel the flaming anger radiate from Rose as her warm brown eyes turned almost black. A low growl escaped her throat and Amy grabbed her sisters arm. While Brian watched Rose closely. He knew that there was no talking to Rose right now and he wasn't interested in a needless fight.
"Rose, I'm okay. Really..." Amy murmured, but her plea fell on deaf ears as Rose started to fume. The athletic girl turned on the three girls in her new found protective anger. The girls took a hesitant step back.
Brian ran his hand through hair and he cursed under his breath. This was about to be really bad...
"You have a problem with my little sister?" Rose asked lowly.
"Rose, don't." Brian muttered, knowing exactly where this was heading: all three of them getting suspended and maybe two of these girls would end up in the hospital.
"You three think you can make her cry and nothing will happen?!" Rose snapped. "You seriously thought i wouldnt find out?" Brian smacked his head as Rose took another step to the three girls who were trembling. "That's it lets go!" Rose snapped. She threw her bags to the floor. Brian closed his eyes in agitation at the amount of people gathering to watch the scene, while Amy watched amazed. Her sister and her friend came to her rescue. They did care..
"No one messes with my little sister!" Rose growled, ready to beat these girls for even thinking about messing with Amy, but before she could land a blow on one of the cowering girls, Brian picked her up by her waist and gestured Amy to follow. Amy blushed at the scene her sister had made for her: Rose screamed threats down the hallway, she was thrashing and waving her fists as Brian walked as fast as he could...

"Amy why wouldn't-" Rose started, but Brian stepped in between Amy and her angry older sister.
"Go and cool off Rose." Brian snapped. Rose glared at him and he glared right back. It was a battle of wills that Amy watched intently because if Brian backed down then she was at Roses mercy. Brian was a known gentleman. Always giving pretty girls what they wanted and letting them walk over him. So when he didn't back down it honestly surprised Amy. It amazed her even more that Rose stomped off.
Brian took a deep breath and he sat beside Amy, completely ignorant of all of the gawking eyes on him. Amy watched him, wary. Wondering: would he yell at her? Laugh? Question her? The thought made her heart throb with new anxiety. Of all people to talk to about this...why did it have to be him?
"Why didn't you tell us anything?" Brian murmured in such a soothing tone. It caught the small girl off guard. "I -I thought it would pass. You two are busy and...i don't know..." Amy stammered over her excuse, having never really thought of why she didn't tell Brian and Rose about the bullies.
Brian scoffed to himself. And he took Amy's hand in his; brown eyes misting over.
"We should have included you more. I'm sorry Amy. And we will try harder for you. To be there for you. I always forget. Not because of you size or your age. I just assumed and that was my fault. But your sister and I can always make time for you, you know that right?" Brian murmured, making Amy grip his hand.
Amy nodded with tear filled eyes. Brian hugged her. "And your sister loves you. You two fought all the time. Still do. She's just upset that she didn't know about this." Brian mumbled as he released Amy from his embrace. The small girl nodded with another sigh. "Its hard when you're not genetically perfect." She whispered on another sigh.
Brian laughed. "Oh but you are, Amy. Your hair is beautiful as is your skin. Flawless. Girls who make fun of you are jealous. Just like boys who pick on kids who are different. Its complete bull if you ask me." The boy said lightly, "Everyone is perfect and flawed in their own way. And you, Amy need to be comfortable with that. Build on that. Like my best friend."
Amy tilted her head. "You mean that one kid, Dwain?" Brian nodded with a fond smile. "I saved him from some popular kids much like you. Some saw Dwain is autistic, OCD, ADD, what ever. Others say he's a retard. I say he's Dwain and a freaking awesome kid. I trust him with my life. He's honest and funny and smart and very very nice." Amy's eyes were wide at Brian's words, she looked at him and winked at her.
"We all are our own person. But choose who you want to be Amy. Don't let labels define you. I'm an athlete. But I'm kind. Honorable. A gentleman. My parents son. Who, Amy do you want to be?" Amy looked at Brian and she looked at her sister who was approaching them worried. "I want to be me." Amy said in a thick voice. Brian smiled, "Atta girl, and anyone who doesn't like you for you." Brian poked Amy's cheek, "Isn't someone you need in your life." Brian said with a smile as he folded Amy under his arm.

© 2016 annalysiar


Author's Note

annalysiar
Okay I edited this and I hope its better now 😃

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The scene where rose comes in and… does stuff, is incredibly confusing. Not really sure what exactly happened, if Rose is a friend or enemy, or why Brian grabbed her and pulled her somewhere. If he did, of course. I think it just gets to the point where there are too many unfamiliar characters on the scene.
Also, indent whenever you start a new paragraph. It’s not just grammatically correct, it guides the eyes from one paragraph to the next, making it easier to read.
Sometimes you have a quotation, and then put the speaker in the next paragraph. The two should be back to back, unless it’s super-obvious who the speaker is.
The last sentence should be a power line. Put it in a separate paragraph.
Overall, this is great. Love how you presented the bullies in the beginning, makes you hate them right away. Keep writing, it can only get better!

Posted 8 Years Ago


annalysiar

8 Years Ago

Yea I need to fix this and I will is a first draft thanks for pointing the mistakes 😃😃😄 fre.. read more
annalysiar

8 Years Ago

Okay I fixed it I hope its better

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
1 Review
Added on November 21, 2015
Last Updated on November 22, 2016

Author

annalysiar
annalysiar

san antonio, TX



About
I'm a simple person normally the quiet person in the room. My thing is honesty... Trust and we're great. Where I'm from trust is all you have. I love to write and I love to read. I have horrible gr.. more..

Writing
Undo Undo

A Poem by annalysiar