Enie, Meanie, Minie, Moe

Enie, Meanie, Minie, Moe

A Poem by Annette Jay Sweeney
"

"Round and round it goes, where it stops, nobody knows...."

"

The bottle rotates, swinging around like
someone about to hurl in the Olympics.
A silent ding! goes off,

the Coke Classic slows, suction
loosening and evening out.
Who it will lands on I

do not know. My eyes scan their features
searching for spots of cancer on an X-ray.
I see so little of his crimes

reflected in their posture, they are just
too kind to harm me in the same ways.
Relief takes over, a bath of paint

that curls its way over me, a bit of sap
on a tree catching on a bird's feather.
But wait, that must not

be right. I am suddenly sticky, yearning
to breathe through my skin.
Your brightness, a heating

pad that untwists my back, hips, and
ankles begins to swelter, dew dips on my neck.

Dew dips onto the bottle, it slips,
and is rocked from its careful path,
dodging your profiles and diving away
the table. It catches, its face pressed
into pink children's carpet, and stands

there, declaring unknown messages.
Its eyes sway away from mine,
it does not really want me to see.

© 2010 Annette Jay Sweeney


Author's Note

Annette Jay Sweeney
I wrote this in an attempt to try out new writing styles. It's pretty vague, but let me know what you think it is really about so I can see if I got through to everyone.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ooo... I love poems that have a vague meaning and an allegorical theme to it. I kind of thought it was pointing to being able to choose a man, but I had to read through it a few times and thnk about it before I even gt that part. This is awesome work. Keep writing, please.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Alright, Miss Sweeney, this is a tough one. Right away, I am reminded of the game “spin the bottle.” I picture a girl who’s just gone through a painful breakup…or, perhaps is recovering from an abusive relationship. She trusts the people she’s with. In her heart she knows that the game is just for fun, and trusts that nobody there would hurt her the way she’s been hurt by the person she’s thinking of. For a moment she’s lost in the lighthearted play going on around her. Then, unbidden, the memory of this individual that has caused her pain pulls her from the welcome distraction. That recollection is like a sticky sap that she finds herself unable to scrub away, even in the company of friends. There is one person in the group that has caught the girl’s eye. As the bottle spins on the table, she holds her breath, hoping the final position of the coke container might direct her to plant a kiss on the lips of the one she desires (or direct the desired to smooch her, depending on whose turn it is, lol). This person is soothing to her…she feels a warmth and brightness emanating from him/her. Nervous, she begins to sweat, and a bead of her perspiration falls , making contact with the bottle. It throws the container into a wild spin that causes it to tip and stand upright on its base. She’s disappointed as the pointing end turns upward, shying away from every face in the circle. The turn ends, and there is no verdict issued as to who kisses whom. The girl feels rejected by fate, and a depressing sense of being invisible washes over her.
Probably way off the mark…but I will read it a few more times, and comment again if anything else jumps out at me. You could send me a hint 
Great poem. The words are so thought provoking, and the emotions so tender. It brought many images to mind, and put me into a very contemplative mood. Thanks for sharing. As always, it’s a pleasure reading your stuff.


Posted 13 Years Ago


I wouldn't call it vague... I would say more existential in meaning... it can represent so many things and that is great poetry... I look at is as someone wrestling with past decisions that seemed right then but now are being questioned. I really like this, you are a great poetess.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This part, made me laugh out loud:

Who it will lands on I

do not know. My eyes scan their features
searching for spots of cancer on an X-ray.
I see so little of his crimes

reflected in their posture, they are just
too kind to harm me in the same ways.
Relief takes over, a bath of paint

Thank you for that!

I guess the bottle was telling you, that sometimes you have to choose for reasons other then chance?

I loved this. Glad I got to read it.
Antonio


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There is such a rich imagery, a longing that is somehow left unfulfilled. Somehow the future is clouded.. the choice undecided. Beautifully profound words...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ooo... I love poems that have a vague meaning and an allegorical theme to it. I kind of thought it was pointing to being able to choose a man, but I had to read through it a few times and thnk about it before I even gt that part. This is awesome work. Keep writing, please.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pretty close. I'm supposed to be the one that spun it, but it refuses to choose for me, so I never get selected. The main focus is supposed to be on my inability to choose someone based on previous relationships.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like the fact that you have twisted "Spin-the-Bottle." It's unfortunate that you never got selected. I hope I'm on the right track with this one. It's a good write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

305 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 30, 2010
Last Updated on April 30, 2010

Author

Annette Jay Sweeney
Annette Jay Sweeney

ID



About
Reading and writing have always provided a loving escape for me, but both are now taking on a more serious level. I thrive on reading others' work and helping them to improve, while also depicting my .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Mommy Mommy

A Poem by Mary