Birth Rights

Birth Rights

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

A look at our certain future!

"

Payton

Granddaughter Payton


Wheat fields wave across the meadow

bright yellow 'neath a sky of blue

Beautiful swaths of sun bleached straw

cut down long before their due



So like the children of our city

colored yellow, red, brown and gold

Living out their lives in dog years

struck down long before they're old



This sickness flows through our land

leaving the helpless and despaired

Where all are made to be thrown out

none are saved or even repaired



When the silent spring finally comes

and all the birds are in a museum

We'll sell our birthright for a song

so children can pay to see them



Then all the beauty will be gone

as our grandchildren run out to play

Not under blue or 'cross the green

but in the trash from yesterday




Written August 13, 2009

All rights reserved







© 2023 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
At the rate we are going we are sadly destined as a race for a dry, dusty, polluted, future. Devoid of beauty, music, children or hope!.


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

you are by far, one of the most talented writers I have had the pleasure to meet.. I absolutely love this.. I love the picture, the font, color, the message, the flow, the rhythm, the imagery, each carefully selected word.. It feels light and hopeful and yet at the same time like a harsh wake up call.. nice job as always..

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

I am glad I could make you smile.. Your poetry always makes me FEEL.. I love the depth of emotion in.. read more
Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

Thank you my friend.
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

anytime.. I love reading your work... It is my pleasure..



Reviews

Man Tate what a mix! brough me back to a lesson once had when I was attempting to learn how to play guitar and the teacher un-tuned the guitar look down tuned to his own thing and then he said play!
I just read your writing and maybe is just me but you managed to interweave the innoncense and beauty, nature dependent and very much connected of the child years with decay, decomposition, pollution, determinism and a hint of apocalypse. And back to my original metaphor you just picked the guitar and played. And the old saying you can't add apples with pears it does not hold here as there is a unity albeit an opposing one as both intentions cannot coexsist. At least in my mind maybe because I suffer from hopeless idealism syndrome I kept the essence of the infant anyday.

What an intriguing reading.

Thankyou so much

Posted 9 Years Ago


Holy, I wasn't expecting that ending Tate, you're getting down with your gritty self. I think this is my favorite of yours. Excellent message within your outstanding verse! Bravo on you for taking a stand. Love the music too....

Posted 9 Years Ago


Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Somehow I think every generation has made that statement Tate, although it is really out of control,.. read more
Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

I wish we have too many people for the world to support
Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Nothing can be done about that, it's after the fact, we need to find a new planet quick, earth-like .. read more
A harvest of grapes ... even when put to the feet ... yields wine. There's a silver lining in every cloud. A timely reminder ...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

I can always count on you to see the silver lining of life i wish I could I really do ,. Thanks sri
our hope is that your poem is not prophetic .. we can listen to its warning and do what we can .. in the small worlds around us .. your poems "trash" also makes me think of the cesspool of debt we are so irresponsibly "..kicking down the road" ... not only pulling the rug but cutting the legs off our children and their children ... aiyiyi seems overwhelming ..your poem has impacted me Tate .. i live in a small town, six blocks from everywhere .. giving up the car to make trips to the lumber yard, small engine repair shop, post office and bank .. (all 2 blocks away) .. i should make that 6 blocks and walk to the gym, dollar store and the gas station that carries my favorite beer .. :)
love ya bro!
E.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

great day to ya brother! impressive video as well .. i don't remember it in your initial posting ..v.. read more
Tate Morgan

7 Years Ago

thank you Gene I am a leftist democrat who wants to see the parties push to their respective sides n.. read more
Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

i would agree ..get the muck out of it ..clean lines ... more confident decisions from voters .. eas.. read more
I completely agree with your views Tate. We are destroying every gift of nature, losing all our senses and that too in the name of development.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

One day we will tell our children of wild animals and clean air and they will look at us in disbelie.. read more
Thanks for spreading awareness and reminding the world their one simple responsibility, if we can fix the man in the mirror I think we have done our part. I honestly feel sorry for the new generation they have nothing exciting...even music they are stuck with Justin Beiber, no icon to follow, all on their mind you find is material things. Nature is a free God gift and the true beauty of the world, Well done my friend!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

Amos thank you I was a child of the 60s and remember well the introduction of earth day the consciou.. read more
Tate--It is a sad commentary on the state of our society that we still should need to be reminded of things like this--even though you've done it in such a lovely way. It's been 52 years since Rachel Carson first published 'Silent Spring' (she would probably smile at your reference) and still we don't get it. Always baby steps... never that giant leap for mankind! (Sorry, got carried away...) You have done your part splendidly... laying it all on the line, painting a map a child could follow if only we would let them... Excellent piece... thanks for re-posting this!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

thank you I remember that book well. And as a young boy of the 60s I remember black birds in a corn .. read more
To say that you have a way with words is a vast understatement Tate...this is a devastating commentary, delivered in a way that only a true wordsmith can deliver it. Forget all the scientific studies and academic essays, this is what should be taught in school. The imagery is just so graphic and subtle at once. I'm still in the process of getting acquainted with your work, but I already look up to your penchant for rhyme and rhythm and flow, devices I always try to incorporate into my work, even though much of it is free verse. But these things come across so naturally and effortlessly in your work that they become secondary against the backdrop of your message, which I say in a complimentary way. Yes, you do have a way with words my friend.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

Thank you Kahn I cant never believe the length of some of your reviews they are well executed well d.. read more
This is a really interesting take on legacy, what it means, how it comes to mean something only with the passing of time. It's an interesting paradox, we're defined not by what we are currently doing, but by what we did. A dark paradox; your poem encapsulates that well. Good write.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

Thank you ian It is not only what we did but what we do to this day we fish the seas dry level mount.. read more
Reality check...
It's our responsibility to teach our children about respecting our earth and all that we share it with.
Or we'll lose it...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Matching Socks

9 Years Ago

I think it's I'm important to lay the foundation when they're young. So that they can decipher thes.. read more
Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

I hope our attempts to educate our own dont fall short of that. However the majority of the world ar.. read more
Matching Socks

9 Years Ago

Yes, I worry about all that too, we try to make a difference in our own community first, through get.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5655 Views
82 Reviews
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on July 22, 2014
Last Updated on November 24, 2023
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death, fantasy, fiction, heart, love

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aris Aris

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Time Time

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Bear Bear

A Poem by Tate Morgan