Helena

Helena

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

They lay down their arms to worship the night. Then shun the light of day.

"

 



Looking at you,

one man might say

Is like seeing Homer

within the light of day

For yours was the face

that launched a thousand ships

Your Honor would lead their way

By your heart they would all be judged

Your likeness shown in the evening light

Love of you beckoned them come what may

They followed your stars and never lost sight

Men laid down their arms to worship the night

Then shunned the light of day

 

$12.50

To see my books click on the pictures to take you to them



$12.50




$12.50


© 2018 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
The stories that come from long ago have a kernel of truth to them. That is why they have survived

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is really a beautiful poem about Helen, the princess whose beauty started that ancient war. I love the way the rhythm sort of changed (or shall I say the one's heartbeat) as the poem progresses. The poem starts out slowly, one expecting it to be a typical love poem for a lady called "Helena". But then "Homer" is metioned and I start to wonder where this is going. Then we read that famous old quote about the face that "launched a thousand ships" and my heart starts to beat at a different rate as I'm visually taken back to Troy at a time of war.

I could almost hear hear the beat of drums and the cry for war. I see those thousand ships at sea, men armed and ready for war, "come what may". All for the love of a woman. Then it gets quiet - "Men laid down their arms to worship the night". One is sort of relieved at this image and the drumbeat stops. But then, SUDDENLY, the drums beat faster then before, and the battle begins "at light of day". Well, that's what I saw :-)

I loved your ending, because even after the last line is read, the reader is still left with a lot of thought. I'm pretty sure that they could use this as an introduction, read by a narrater, to a movie or play about the "Trojan Wars". It sets a nice mood. "Then shunned the light of day...", and as those words end, the next act is played out... the start of the Trojan War...

There is also a line in the middle "...by your heart they all would be judged...", which makes one think. Was the death of thousands of men worth it? Can love be so strong, can beauty be so enticing, that a king would risk his army for it?

Well, these are only my interpretations and thoughts.

Great poem with some beautiful lines and visual imagery that takes us back to ancient greece (or to greek mythology as some would prefer). As a lover of history and mythology I give it 10/10!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This piece is great! It speaks wonderful emotions. I think it might be enhanced by some more details, but that could ruin the entire feel of the poem. "Followed your star and never lost sight". This line is wonderful and was a great comparison! Keep this up

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hmm, I seem to recall this (birthday) poem.. beautiful as ever. Your poems are just dreamy!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


6
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3958 Views
52 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 3, 2009
Last Updated on June 13, 2018
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death, fantasy, fiction, heart, love

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..