Winter Streets

Winter Streets

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

My house shakes from the wind tonight; the Nor-Easter sweeps to and fro.

"

 Bernie Sanders




My house shakes from the wind tonight

the Nor-Easter sweeps to and fro

A-whistling down out of the North

from icicled lands bound in snow

 

The poor I see go back and forth

across the roads of my hometown

As winter storms engulf their souls

like bowling pins to be knocked down

 

Inside my home the weather's warm

outside a wicked gale does blow

I can't help thinking to myself

of those who have no where to go

 

I find it hard to rest myself

while brothers walk the lamp lit cold

As bad it must be for the young

it is a nightmare to the old

 

Tonight I'll brave the surly streets

who can say they know what their role

Perhaps we're here for fortunes sake

to share the warmth with one lost soul

 














No claim to copyright fair use assumed 

 






© 2017 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
On a cold wintry Vermont morning a de-shoveled man and Bernie Sanders walked into a shoe store on Church St in Burlington Vermont. Bernie had made his acquaintance while walking down the street. The man didn't have proper footwear for the cold. Bernie tells the clerk to fit him him with the best winter boots he has. Bernie pays the shop keeper shakes the mans hand and leaves. No media,no story,just Bernie!
Story accurately portrayed as it was rendered by eye witness Jeffery Weigand

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well let me say first of all one thing. You are one of the best talents on this site by my way of thinking. Now that being said, I will go on to say that you have a knack in bringing forth writes that not only touch ones heart, but also are able to make them weep from the feel of your words. And in my opinion if one is not able to feel your words, then they just aren't reading it as they should. And that is with an open mind, heart, and soul!

This was perfection.. Don't care if someone feels the rhyming is forced, for it's not. The words man, the words! Look within the words, that's what it's all about.. Sorry if there may be any mispelling here. Then agian I'm not the one being rated am I! (Smile)


Maggie xx

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Beautiful work! I live in North Central Indiana and, although our homeless population is not as visible as in other places around the nation, the poor have been hit hard over the past year and the homeless population has grown. My thoughts and prayers were with them last night as well. Love to you

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Tate,

You have managed to put into words so beautifully
about the poor unfortunates who have no home
to call their own. It was compassionate and shows
what a caring man you are. Well done!

You also have a knack of matching wonderful
photos to your writes.

Helena

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This is a very powerful poem. Such a bleek picture you paint with your words. For a moment as I read I thought back to a scene from Blind Side... when Michael is walking is a storm in a T-shirt and shorts. It is heart wrenching knowing that so many have so little to ward off the cold.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very nice! We're getting frigid and extremely windy weather here too. I didn't even want to stick my head out of the door to grab the mail earlier today. No doubt something we should all keep in mind- that while we're complaining about high heating bills and about having to go out in this weather, there are those out and living on the streets with no heat at all, and they need our help. A great write.

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 4 people found this review constructive.

This one made its way very quickly to my heart, Tate. No one should ever, ever be cold and homeless, and I find it difficult to accept that this World can be bleak for many. I feel the wind tonight as well as I have been outdoors much of today. I agree with what you say...if each of us could help just one person.... only if...

Powerful and thrusting image... intense metaphor... Heartfelt and biting theme...

Exceptional work, and wanted you to know.



Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great work.. and I'm getting that same wind where I am at this very minute.. it's bringing down signs and branches something fierce! Brilliant portrayal and clearly one brought forward from one's setting.. the wind's are whistling and brisk.. and I didn't even need to step outside (though I did earlier) to feel those harsh winds. Such a fine soul you have to create a piece.. thinking of those without somewhere warm to go.. so often I feel and think the same thing.. sad. I loved the rhythm, rhyme and flow. Bravo.. very well done!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


8
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5871 Views
76 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 10, 2009
Last Updated on September 8, 2017
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death, fantasy, fiction, heart, love

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Goodbye Goodbye

A Poem by OT