Days Gone By

Days Gone By

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

At the time I was most a man I wished I were still a boy

"




Gentle the breeze that floats the air

across the years it moves my soul

Words so sweet, so gentle, and clear

melodies of love took their toll

 

A face from my past gazed at me

I had met these eyes once before

I recognized this sweet beauty

from far off to the distant door

 

Dropping by when I am weakest

lighting mysteries upon my breast

Playing melodies of love's heart

feeding the memories of my chest

 

I remember those laughing eyes

that had once stared back at me

No less the beauty decades since

in her face that child I could see

 

Aloof and careless with herself

walking high upon nature’s wine

She poured her beauty on my soul

no woman was ever so fine.

 

But oh the times of yesteryear

how they tasted divine like bliss

My mind a-wash in thoughts of her

longed for that first touch and kiss

 

Time seemed to have passed but moments

yet many years had seen much joy

At the time I felt most a man

I wished that I were still a boy


© 2021 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
Written to commemorate the day I ran into my childhood sweetheart at a party Some 15 years later than I had last seen her as a child.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

THANK YOU.

I wish to thank you, from the depths of feeling hammocked in reverie of sweetness.
This poem was first read silently without Etta James's At Last in the background-
The first time I read it, I felt the most peace I have felt in a long time- just for coming across a stranger's poem but feeling enraptured by some certain unknown uncertain nostalgia of what it's like to be a child and see the world through a child's eyes, precious, a little girl is always dreaming of holding in her tiny palm the hand of a special boy who at that first rose blushing, only thinks upon his face as hers, at last, somewhere hovering above in Heaven's distant, and now close- dream.
This poem is surreal.
These lines brought tears to my eyes:

No less the beauty decades since
In her face the child I could see

...and then of course, rereading it a second time with the first of melody-
brought life to me.

THANK YOU.

Posted 14 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very very well written! This is such a light and flowy poem (if that makes sense) it is sweet and has a gentle nature to it! I found it very refreshing!! Great write!

Oh, and I love the picture in the beginning! Very cute!

Would you mind reviewing some of my work?

Posted 14 Years Ago


Very beautiful, haunting and a bit wistful. Remembering what once was with such loving memories. Very nicely done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
k. the photo made me giggle for the sweetness, the words made me sigh for the longing .......... of such tenderness and a place in his heart. what woman does not secretly wish to be so lovingly remembered and achingly revisited. your last lines are killer -- seems to be a habit with you ..... as someone once said to me ~ "like a jab to the gut with an air knife, soft but potent." beautiful.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is an amazing piece as always. I've fallen in love with your writing. I do not think I have ever praise anyone as I praise you for your work.
"Aloof and careless with herself
Walking high upon nature’s wine.
She poured her beauty on my soul
No woman was ever so fine."
This stanza has to be the most beautiful and the most vivid. I can actually picture it. Well done Tate. As always.

Krys

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hm, very beautiful, it's happy, but at the same time has a slightly... Hm, I can't find the right adjective... sad, perhaps? Maybe? I'm not quite sure if that's the word I'm looking for.

You're words are magnificent, they come to life in my mind, creating a beautiful picture. It's overflows with bitter-sweetness, I felt so touched by the emotions it made me feel. Marvelous, at the very least.
You don't need to worry about whether or not this poem is good, because I assure you, it's perfect. I always thought that a poem needed only one thing for it to be considered a good poem, and that was emotion. But yours gave so much more, it was so natural, the words flowed, it had such incredible imagery, I felt as though I could paint what I saw in my mind, there was not one awkward pause, not one moment that made me want to stop reading.

You, to say the very least, are an incredible poet. I commend you for a job, very well done. Thank you for sharing such an amazing piece. I loved it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


so haunting . . .

I saw a face from my past as I read your words . . .

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow this is beautiful poetry. A very unique love story unlike many typical "cheesy" writes you see far too often. The words you choose add such an easy fluency, great imagery, your poetry never ceases to amaze.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

You can write a beautiful story. Photo made the words alive. Life would be better if we could hope and dream like a boy. Every touch and emotion important. Every line added up to a excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


Ah, to go back to those days of innocence to the first love..
But alas we can not, hence memories will thrive in our soul. Beautiful, Tate..

Posted 14 Years Ago


I love the picture. It is adorable. This was wistful and tender. Beautifully expressed...

Posted 14 Years Ago



11
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

9484 Views
111 Reviews
Shelved in 9 Libraries
Added on January 9, 2010
Last Updated on October 27, 2021
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death, fantasy, fiction, heart, love

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..