The Martyrs

The Martyrs

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

Where does the love of God go,when the days turn minutes to hours?

"

walk for life by Steve Rhodes.

DSC_0195.JPG by Steve Rhodes.

 

So where does the love of God go

when the days turn minutes to hours

Just whose house has God been visiting

when followers hurl rocks not flowers

 

What do we teach our children so well

precious lessons of Christ, we all follow

Condemning the young that chose abortion

so God's teachings will ring out but hollow

 

Where are the mighty gifts of forgiveness

shoulders to cry on, for families that fail

Instead they cast stones of the malcontent

on the lord's children that they assail

 

Perhaps it would serve us all better

if we could call a spade a spade

Then point the finger of hypocrisy

at the army of heretics they’ve made

 

Take a walk to the washing basin

look to the mirrored reflection of pain

Soap will never wash away the ignorance

or the ugly hatred and stench that remain

 

Shame be on us for these things

as we shall reap what we do sow

You can't teach love and tolerance

with every gun and with every blow


Tate



 













Available Now





Available Now




© 2014 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
I'm sorry but if I am to believe the Martyrs I would have to concede that Almighty God needed lowly me to punish the unclean. As he was unable to do it himself. Well where is the God of Noah that with a wave of his hand flooded the world? If he was that ineffectual I think I would go looking for enlightenment somewhere else.

The quintessential question remains by what right do any of us claim divine guidance? There comes a point where judgment is beyond us and we have to leave these things to the individuals involved. Our personal beliefs have no right being imposed on others rights or beliefs. I only wish Twain were still alive as I am sure his witticisms and opinions would be most welcome by the truly enlightened. Protecting the rights of other peoples unwanted children and paying to raise the majority of them through the state will never alleviate the conscience that we offend by our insensibility .!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm afraid that this is one of those poems (along with the pictures and author's comments) whose moral lesson overwhelms the written word. The only thing I don't like about it is the ambiguity (of course, that might be the whole point of the poem) - I mean, it's hard to tell which side of the equation the author is on, not that it matters for technical purposes. There are a few of those 'strained' lines created to force a rhyme, that I don't much like, and an irregularity in the way the 'God' words are capitalized that is distracting, and a few apostrophes that are missing. The first stanza is the strongest followed at a bit of distance by the third and fourth. Good effort and a bit of morality on the side. :-)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Tate,

You, have chosen, as have I on occasion, to speak about the unspeakable, to breach a controversial topic, and while bridging the gap, you serve well to remind all those who lay claim to being Christians (Xtians?)that they, all too often, fail to exhibit compassion and forgiveness for others, making themselves judges over others with attitudes and behavior that flies in the face of any alleged Christ who said, "Judge not, lest ye be Judged," and "if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ...

as for the topic of alleged World Overpopulation? Globalist Bullshit with a twisting of truth into an ugly lie: China is overpopulated, India is overpopulated, and this problem is their alone as a people to solve for themselves and is no any other nation's problem, or responsibility. America's birthrate is in dangerous decline, the lowest in the history of our nation. Great Britain's population is also in decline compared to decades past. Russisa? Russia, a nation where women still outnumber men, is still attempting to overcome the decimation of its male population that took place during World War II ... Thus, in my humble opinion: It is not the World that is Overpopulated, but rather individual sovereign nations who are responsible and must manage and tend to their own affairs ... No sir! ... I am not a Globalist, but Nationalist as per my Marvin Thomas Cox-Flynn de Graham Mission Statement ... Back to the topic of abortion:

I often find myself residing within that middle ground that seeks to avoid being relegated to any corner of extremes ... I strive to be a Moderate in a Rightist/Leftist Extremist world ... Thus, I also consider myself a Pro-Life Women's Rights Advocate ... What does this statement mean? Simply this: I would hope that a woman chooses life for her unborn child, in raising her child, or allowing her child to be adopted ... That is my, personal hope in a world of matters, many of which, are none of my affair, none of my business, and I am not, have no wish to be, on a need to know a woman's private business matters basis ... The way I see it: When Men learn to master the art of popping ready ripe watermelons out their bungholes, then, and only then, will men have any right of whatsoever to speak of that which a woman should or should not do with her own body, and the fetus that may reside within her womb ... We are entitled to our thoughts of opinion, but that is exactly where it must always end ... And, opinions are like a******s: Everybody's body has one ... Excellently poignant Poetry, here, Tate ...

Marvin Thomas Cox-Flynn de Graham

Posted 11 Months Ago


Tate Morgan

11 Months Ago

Thank you.I exercise my right to have an opinion Devicive as that maybe judge not lest thee be judge.. read more
Marvin Thomas Cox-Flynn de Graham

11 Months Ago

I do agree Tate, I do, I do, I do ... We are on the same side of the very same team, though it often.. read more
Take a walk to the washing basin look to the mirrored reflection of pain Soap will never wash away the ignorance or the ugly hatred and stench that remain

Tate I think that verse hit me the most. And by the way do not say that you are sorry for your words, your beliefs, your thoughts, without the poet or the writer, what would we do if there were no words to be sung by the singer, and no tales for the gypsies to speak when their wagons are circled and they sit round the fire.

Words live on and on. There is much truth in what you have written, sad, but truth all the same. I would give much if it were not so. I just spent hours watching the World at War on the history channel, so much death and destruction and I am forced to ask myself FOR WHAT. Look at us now, what did we learn? From all that is going on in our world we obviously look back and convince ourselves those horrible things didn't really happen it's only fiction it couldn't have happened that way, surely if it had our world would not now be filled with such violence.

Well I didn't mean to rant, but as always your words touched me and this time I had to respond.

Thank you Tate for this not so subtle reminder. Keep writing....

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

Thank you as i doubt anyone ever prayed for the devil the worst sinner of us all. In a moment the lo.. read more
Cree Nations

9 Years Ago

and thus it is and will be
Amen......with that said...

The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter, they are an entire banquet.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

peace......ice

btw, excellent choice of music...:-)

Posted 13 Years Ago


You are right in many ways, but understanding that the God of Noah, Abraham, Isaac, etc. allowed things to happen in order to teach lessons can be equated with tough love in many ways, but it is hard to teach those values, and understand. Excellent work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I try not to get into it about politics or religion,I have very strong opinions about both and most people don't care for mine.
too many people wanting to be forgiven for a sin they will never give up,or taking the glory from those who Really Earned it,only to forget the backs they walked upon,in their own climb up the ladder of success...LonelySoul

Posted 13 Years Ago


"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -Ghandi

I agree in the sense that many so called "christians" have totally misrepresented Christ. Just please know... that he has nothing to do with these people, if someone claiming to be christian isn't following his rules of "love god with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself", then... they're not representing God. They're not Christians, they're hypocrites.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Congrats to you Tate. I loved the poem and the song you chose.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Well said! I appreciated this very much!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, I have to say I am impressed with your courage to share this. I would have to say that you will most certainly receive mixed reviews on this one, because it is difficult for some to accept any form of expression that carries a thread of political indifference, or subjects to anything feeding controversy - therefore difficult for some to remain objective about the piece itself. I for one, think you should never stop writing about that even if your message seems to cause some controversy and/or prove to receive any kind of negative feedback because the truth is, it is too hard to know for sure if anyone's comments are based on biases - which ironically has a lot to do with the reason people write about such things in the world. You for sure will have to anticipate that reaction however, most specifically if you write your own personal opinions and beliefs, then your writing carries your own biases in it as well. I commend you for this though because I think it is courageous, and something we writers should do, which is use our form of expression to send a message, because it is our voice, and our way to be heard which impacts as many who will listen. Writers going back for centuries have been noted for their impact in such areas of society, even the smallest impression can sometimes make a great difference, we have to at least try to hold onto that.

I will try to remain objective here then, because as a piece of writing, I thought it was very good - I thought the word usage and sentence form was constructed well - I did not find it forced at all, nor did I have a problem reading it, or understanding the point you were making, and again think you created another wonderfully lyrical poem. It is to me quite pointed in it's intent - your message clear and while not a negative one, a strong one as far as your view.

I do not think people should take this piece as an expression of a lack of faith, or a hit on God, or abortion, or any such topics that revolve around such conflict. I believe this poem is about the contradictions we live with, the hypocrisy we cultivate, and the empty, and conflicting message it sends to our children - to each other. It is about responsibility, and more about faith in your convictions in my opinion than anything else - You only attribute those controversial subjects as valuable examples of the product of that - and not because you are trying to change anyone's mind about how they should make those choices, or what they should believe in. It isn't about reflecting a message about which side of the fence you are on - it is a message that says, why would we be empowered enough to say our integrity lies here - and then do something that proves to negate the good in that decision all together - what amount of integrity could possibly exist in that? Many examples happen to pertain to God - and are in the bible, and it just is for example the impression it's made on you and many others - not a reflection of your faith or religion.

This is what I see this poem as about - I hope that readers give it the chance to see that, this is not an example of preaching to others about decisions that belong to them, and how they should feel - this is only about our behavior as a society, our lack of integrity, and our sense of honesty, and the skewed message we send with the behavior we let support its opposition to the good humanity we claim to exist of. Very, Very Good write! If I could put 200, that would be your score from me.

Posted 13 Years Ago


well,they are blind then...it is a precious lesson and its not you but they[using religion assoft pillow]who should go to hell.

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2480 Views
62 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 18, 2010
Last Updated on December 14, 2014
Tags: Poetry, Phylosophy, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death, fantasy, fiction, heart, love

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Goodbye Goodbye

A Poem by OT


Death Death

A Poem by HorrorMaster


Love And Lust Love And Lust

A Poem by Manda