The Error of My Ways

The Error of My Ways

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

I walked the earth so emboldened in my brazen younger days That I missed chances so golden for the poor error of my ways

"

My rendition of my inner self.Graphite on canvas.



 



Every sweet life flowers golden

mixing old colors in with the new

Creating a wonderful child each time

of a mixed ever changing hue

 

My life has been both heartache

along by spirits of love in rain

Tossed up around and foundered

with the dreams I cannot attain

 

As I recall the lost soft beauty

of aching spirits in still delight

I looked to God's sweet Heaven

with thoughts that stir the night

 

For life's time waits on none of us

it masters fate with earnest callous

Caring for none in favored mercy

helping not whom it shows malice

 

But I shall have known wisdom

with his brother mighty pain

As my friends they so haunt me

with joys I'll never know again

 

I walked the earth so emboldened

in my brazen younger days

That I missed chances so golden

for the poor error of my ways

 

 







© 2018 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
I'm sure given the same circumstances and life. I would do the same things again. Such is the truth of humanity. We do not think much on the truths of life until we are made to. If only we could live life backwards. I think I would like to be Benjamin Button.
Tate

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a very tender verse....and again BRAVO on song choice:) Time waits for no one is so very true, when you added "it masters fate with earnest callous" you set the tone of this write beautifully. All the times we hurt, hurt another or tumble and fall on our path I think is what makes the rest of our journey a wonderful ride and pleasant to the soles of our feet. I would love go back in time and right some wrongs, but then again if I did not have those experiences I would not be the wise woman I am today. Wonderful write!

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

"But I shall have known wisdom
with his brother mighty pain
As my friends they so haunt me
joys I may never know again"

My favorite of yours. I would change my life if I could. I would. I'd live it harder, love deeper, hold friends closer, and forgive my trespassers as they trespassed against me. And I'd floss more. A lot more:)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Life is a series of choices, there are always alternatives to the paths we choose. As an exercise I once wrote a list of the choices I'd made, compared them to the alternatives, and showed how each choice took me along the path to the following set of choices, and so on. It was quite remarkable how many of those preferred choices took me along a path to disaster in one form or another. Examining the alternatives, however, gave no certainty of better outcomes, only different ones. As a result, I don't think I'd change a thing. The grass is always greener they say, but so is the grass covering the swamp. Once in, you never get out!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I think the living of life is one way. I've pondered many times the "if I could do it over again" etc. Even knowing what I know now included, but after many pauses of pondering this age old thought, I think no matter the new perspective on the circumstances and choices, the results would wind up the same. I think there is an inherent core to our spirits, that our conscious mortal frame can't perceive. We are who we are from conception, regardless of the nature/nurture argument. Regardless of errors of choice or judgement. I think we spend more time supposing who we are, instead of just letting us BE who we are. Convention, society, gives us models, flawed models we spend many years comparing ourselves to. I think most of us are slow learners on this subject, and that too may be part of the awakening process. I spent a lifetime doing all the things I wasn't good at... I don't think I would have done that if I had "known" any different, but now, after having done those things, I can see I was meant to do them. Whether I was "good or bad" at them doesn't really matter.
And so, this poem, this revelation, this realization is created with all that you were to begin with Tate, and it's taken you all this while to write it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
absolutely stunning wording as you capture the frailties of our existence..beautiful

Posted 12 Years Ago


It takes a wise, brave man/woman to admit our faults and mistakes. None of us are innocent of these things, whether intended or unintended. Yet unless we make mistakes lessons may not be learned.
Mistakes are part of the dues one pays for a full life.
Given the same circumstances in life, one may make the same mistakes...unless they knew before hand the effect of the outcome.
Alas...we all walk on feet of clay to our own individual weaknesses and vulnerabilities

Posted 12 Years Ago


There are times when things writen can be over shadowed by things unintended. I believe that is what has happened here with the choice of your song. This is a wonderful pome that should stand alone in its verture. The music is wonderful but I found myself listing to the music and not paying attention to the writen work. I am sorry ( I am 61 years old and have little attention left) but when I shut off the music I found a very wonderful pome that flows with steady images and contrasting verbs. This pome is really well done. I would rather have heard the pome read to me than the music. Great job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


You sir, are amazing. God bless you and the ground you walk on.

Posted 12 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was beautiful.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh so true Tate. I loved the movie you mentioned in your note. So often I say oh to be 19 again but only if I can know what I know now. Excellent piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

EileenMarie

11 Years Ago

Amazing write :).... Beautiful :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

4610 Views
97 Reviews
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on May 20, 2010
Last Updated on October 28, 2018
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death, fantasy, fiction, heart, love

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Trouble Trouble

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Sleepwalk Sleepwalk

A Poem by Robin


My Dream My Dream

A Story by Tate Morgan


Mercy Mercy

A Story by Coyote Poetry