Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
The Night The World Stood Still

The Night The World Stood Still

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

I was a boy then nine years old the Moon seemed exciting and cool As each of the rockets took off we would get to watch them in school

"

Earthrise



We received the news late one night

there was to be a special show

A broadcast from the Moon to the Earth

of what we had no way to know

 

I was a boy then nine years old

the Moon seemed exciting and cool

As each of the rockets took off

we would get to watch them in school

 

This time something was different

it was on Christmas eve that year

The pictures sent back from the moon

made it seem as if it were near

 

The commander then addressed us

showing pictures he called Earthrise

He began reading from Genesis

my mother wiped tears from her eyes

 

The viewers numbered in billions

for the first time we were all free

To hope and dream of a future

and the wonders of what may be

 

The whole of the Earth held their breath

for that moment in history

When we learned how it felt to say

every soul on Earth was like me

 

That was man's greatest achievement

not the landing upon the Moon

Planting the seeds of brotherhood

in fertile soil where they might bloom

 

That night the heavens echoed out

a cry that felt more like a plea

That shook the core of modern man

all the way to Antiquity


© 2017 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
I remember that night as if it were yesterday. It was Christmas eve 1968. The missions to the Moon which originally were an attempt to beat the Russians. Turned out to be more than the sum of their parts. It was a great time to be an American. But on that night there were no nationalities. As we looked back upon that little blue marble in the vastness of space. I realized everyone who ever lived came from there. from Adam to Da vinci. The largest crowd in history watched in awe that night as Apollo 8 rounded the Moon. Then without a script the crew decided that they would read from Genesis. "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day. Then from the mission commander came " From the crew of Apollo 8. We wish you all a Merry Christmas all of you on the good Earth." I had never seen an adult cry as my mother did. And on TV the members of Mission command were all in tears as well. As each and every one realized the enormity of what they were doing. Martin Luther King, Bobbie Kennedy and John F Kennedy had all been assassinated in that decade. The world seemed poised to tear itself apart. But for that brief moment something grander in the human spirit shook the world. It brought us back from the brink. It is hard to imagine now but they did all this with little more than a slide rule. I remember my great great grandmother who had been born in 1878 and was then 90 yrs old watching in absolute astonishment. As a boy at the time I remember we all studied math and science. We knew that was essential to passing the grade as an astronaut. To us the old idea of wanting to be a fireman or policeman was now for slackers. We wanted to be hero's. We watched fearless men who knew they were atop the worlds largest Roman Candle. Any one of which could in an instant become the tragic Titanic of the age. Most astronauts seemed not to fear anything or anyone. To a boy of nine they were the personification of the pioneering men who won the west. They lit the fuses of those candles and rose into the heavens. Taking the hopes and dreams of this little boy, all of his friends and the rest of humanity along with them for the ride. I have to admit the Americans know how to put on a show. Who else would take a four wheel drive golf cart to the moon to play golf?
This was mans finest hour! I was watching the history channel the other day. A World War two veteran and holder of the Congressional Medal of Honor was speaking about his latest talk to a high school. He said he was introduced by a high-school senior as being a veteran of World War Eleven. If this is the case we will never walk on the moon again in our lifetimes.
.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My mother used to tell me stories growing up of all the wild achievements we made while she was growing up because I had such interest in the moon and the universe. Her words of this day in particular was "the world stood still when we finally made it to the moon, everyone around the world stopped what they were doing to watch a television." Amazing how one moment in time finally brought the world together for one momentous occasion even if it was just one night. Awesome poem. Nicely done, Tate!

~Anna Rose

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love this. I adore the innocent feeling it brings due to the fact that it is written through the eyes of a nine year old. It also held a great story. good job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is so educational for me Tate.... I knew this from schooldays from the general knowledge books, but what i didn't realize was the magnitude of the ripples that it might have caused until now. Now that I read this poem, it occurs to me what it might have felt like to witness that era.. an era where there were no cell phones, no IPods, no fancy cars rolling out of every garage..in those tumultuous years of Cold War, how that enormous scientific achievement blurred the boundaries across the world, even for a brief moment in time and the earth stood as one.... The way you have used this poem, merely not just to highlight that success in American history, but in the history of the world and derive a message of unity across the human race is something truly commendable... Thank you for such a great read.... :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


For me, someone who only ever read about the event in history books, this poem really put a personal perspective on perhaps one of the single most important events in the last century of human history. It was interesting too how your ryhme scheme came together. Great write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
i remember this prodigious event as clearly as the other historical incidents you mentioned. i particularly enjoy your notion that, for one moment in time, humanity held its collective breath and we were all united in spirit. it seems too long since we've had a moment like that, doesn't it? a wonderful remembrance. nicely done, tate. ;)

Posted 12 Years Ago


That was a great and touching poem Tate, good job :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


That certainly was an incredible time in man's history...and yes, you are right....it was as if we stood as one..
your poem captured this time beautifully and emotionally
thanks for taking me back in time, Tate...I enjoyed the ride...
allen

Posted 12 Years Ago


The only thing I can say about this piece is that it is absolutely amazing and wonderful testimony to the dedication of human spirit, back in those days we were in the space race but it brought to light that we were all in the human race and unified us and set us on the path to the global economy that we have now. Information was gained and shared for the betterment of earth and that is what made it a beautiful thing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I don't know which I enjoyed more. Your note to the readers or this amazing poem about your awe and wonderment experienced as a child. And to think that now...some question the fact that we even landed on the moon. Text book history...rewritten in theory.

Posted 12 Years Ago


They say it is a small world, but on that day man seemed to expand the depths of humanity. I was six years old when Christa Mcauliffe on January 28, 1986 attempted the trip to space, and found heaven's gates. We watched from our grade school desks the tragedy unfold in front of our innocent eyes. I can still remember the sinking feeling in my heart. It seemed like a lifetime away from the stories of when we had made that one small step, and the world watched freedom rein. I wonder what happened to that inspiration for discovery. The "Greatest Generation."

Awesome Write Tate!!!
RLG,
Tommy

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

4455 Views
65 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 4, 2012
Last Updated on September 18, 2017
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death, fantasy, fiction, Dark, Gay, Hate, sex, teen, horror, heart, love

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Why? Why?

A Poem by Tate Morgan