Truth and Consequences

Truth and Consequences

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

Some things are better left unsaid best locked in your heart there saved The pain you harbor in your chest is your own, to take to the grave

"

Life seems a never ending dream

filled with hopelessness and despair

Where we are put to trial everyday

while suffering is everywhere

 

To friends who think they come up short

through transgressions against a mate

Who feel they should confess their sins

then sit back and accept their fate

 

Some things are better left unsaid

best locked in your heart there to save

The pain you harbor in your chest

is your own, to take to the grave

 

Confessing sins to a loved one

while it serves to ease guilt in you

Transfers your pain to the other

who is blameless for what you do

 

Shame is the thing that hurts the most

it teaches us valuable things

Such as what not to do next time

you are hurt and the telephone rings


 

© 2021 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
I have given this much thought. Many friends over the years have asked me if they should confess to their lovers. I have come to see it is a selfish act. While most religions and 12 step programs say confess as the Catholics do. I say no. You are crushing the innocent partners soul with your confession. Sometimes it's better to take responsibility for your actions. Live with the pain of what you did. It will help guide you next time. When one laments the wrongs of their life it creates these pains. They are called the conscience. So live with them. And try to be better next time. I have made many mistakes and I shall atone for them in the end. I did these things myself and it is not for others to suffer the consequences. I am glad I will take my own transgressions with me. After all I am responsible for what I do as is everyone. I have spent many years trying to reconcile with myself. I am not saying I did anything truly awful. However I let myself down more than a few times in my youth.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Dear Tate,

Are you getting better as a writer?! It seems to me that your more recent writes greatly surpass what I've read of you in years past. Now know that I have always thought your poetry to be beautiful from a raw passion sense, and that full continues, but your recent skill in language is so wonderful.

Now in this piece, while I really love the poem, I read the "Author's Note" first, and I found the words to be profound. You and I agree wholeheartedly on this and I didn't think that any other really understood this. But you do. I am gratified. This is profound wisdom, Tate. I don't think I have any serious transgressions either--but you never know what might be serious to a loved one. Nonetheless, swallow it. Don't cause grief. Protect your loved ones. If they don't need to know and the knowledge would cause them pain, swallow it. Don't be selfish. Keep quiet and give them a hug instead. Now I'm not advocating lying or going behind a loved one's back. That is pure selfishness as well, and not in the best interests of family. No, I'm talking about protecting the ones you love, not pulling the wool over their eyes. I'm talking about being an adult and making well thought out and generous decisions. I'm talking about withholding unnecessary pain as you are as well.

Beautiful sentiments as always. I get this one and so fully agree.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love the introspective nature in your poem. The internal struggles of guilt and secret keeping is profound. Amazing.

Posted 2 Months Ago


Tate Morgan

2 Months Ago

Thank you poetess the older, I get the wiser I get
I agree with you that if the mate doesn't know that is best not to tell them. Talk to a counselor or pastor or someone you trust if that is possible. If they have found out and I think most women know if their mate is unfaithful. Some forgive, go one, some ignore it, and some do not forgive, they give back what you have sent or become depressed, etc. Anyway, good writing. Sara K

Posted 3 Months Ago


Tate Morgan

3 Months Ago

If anyone needs to play games like that in a relationship, the relationship is basically over
Sunflower/Sara Kendrick

3 Months Ago

I agree that a relationship is not a place for games but for honest, open communication between two .. read more
Tate Morgan

3 Months Ago

I can’t speak for others. I try to be honest in my own.
Oh my G... do I ever believe in this.... My father confessed to my mother ..several times... and somewhere in my younger years she said this to me..... "Darling, this is your fathers guilt speaking." "Would be so much better if I did not know any of this" "He feels that if he tells me (each time) that somehow it resolves him of his indiscretion." " But of course it doesn't." My mother was so wise...
Your poem blew me away...as it is so so true ... why on earth does one need to to involve their innocent partner... Just live and deal with the guilt and perhaps become a better person...at least I hope so.
I really loved reading this and having a chance to respond by reviewing.
Lisa, so hot here now in Spain

Posted 1 Year Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Lisasview

1 Year Ago

I agree again... We lived in California until two year ago... and could not believe the "I LOVE TRUM.. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
"Some things are better left unsaid
best locked in your heart there to save
The pain you harbor in your chest
is your own, to take to the grave"

I paused and read this stanza twice. Very powerful.

In my past life here, I didn't read your material as much as I should have; perhaps because I was much younger (16 when I joined in 2009). However, the impression I get from this beautiful piece is that I will relate to your material more this time around.

I look forward to reading more.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Tate Morgan

1 Year Ago

Muhammad thank you I’m humbled by that welcome back
There is an old saying, what you don't know can't hurt you. Confessing to a lover is going to cause mighty pain. Don't go there. It might help the one off loading, but it certainly won't help the one who is going to hear it. In fact it is likely to stir up a hornet's nest. Better pledge to do better and take it to the grave. Another fine poem from you Tate.

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

2 Years Ago

Chris im with ya on this one. lol best to keep quiet thanks
"Confessing sins to a loved one
while it serves to ease guilt in you
Transfers your pain to the other
who is blameless for what you do..."

No truer words have ever been written. I can really relate to this. I've learned over the years that even though you may feel like you understand or forgive someone for what they did to you, there will come a time in your life when you will despise them for the person they turned you into. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

6 Years Ago

Thank you sonnie I do believe we make our own hells
a healthy conscience (i believe) will always lead us to kneel in God's presence to admit and ask forgiveness .. our sins always cause pain for our loving Creator ..sometimes (i think) we are required to confess to another human in order to heal a relationship that has been damaged ..but in order for that to be the case we have to have caused pain .. if someone is in the dark about something done .. they have no pain .. revealing it can cause so much more destruction than the "sinner" taking it to the grave with them .. sometimes i wonder if upon my death i will have to reveal those kinds of things to the offended person before passing over .. your poem is so human and engaging .. causes my own soul searching ..
E.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

7 Years Ago

Thanks Gene You bring up a good point.We haven't been too bad I think Ill let it ride.Soul searching.. read more
Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

i forgive you my friend! ;))))
Tate Morgan

7 Years Ago

Lol thanks
I can see your side as far as, is confession good for your soul, or are you destroying someone else?
This a beautiful piece with so must emotion. I too have made mistakes in the past and I will admit that I have spared some from the heartache of the truth.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

8 Years Ago

It is better to suffer on behalf of our own indiscretions. Much better than to admit them to someone.. read more
so true my friend... you are so wise...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

Hi deb thank you I know many would disagree but to assuage ones guilt at someone elses expense has t.. read more
Amazing poem keep up the great work and keep them coming

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

thank you melissa
melissa

9 Years Ago

You're welcome

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5506 Views
100 Reviews
Shelved in 9 Libraries
Added on May 18, 2012
Last Updated on March 13, 2021
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death, fantasy, fiction, heart, love

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Last Waltz The Last Waltz

A Poem by Muse