Truth and Consequences

Truth and Consequences

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

Some things are better left unsaid best locked in your heart there saved The pain you harbor in your chest is your own, to take to the grave

"

Life seems a never ending dream

filled with hopelessness and despair

Where we are put to trial everyday

while suffering is everywhere

 

To friends who think they come up short

through transgressions against a mate

Who feel they should confess their sins

then sit back and accept their fate

 

Some things are better left unsaid

best locked in your heart there to save

The pain you harbor in your chest

is your own, to take to the grave

 

Confessing sins to a loved one

while it serves to ease guilt in you

Transfers your pain to the other

who is blameless for what you do

 

Shame is the thing that hurts the most

it teaches us valuable things

Such as what not to do next time

you are hurt and the telephone rings


 

© 2021 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
I have given this much thought. Many friends over the years have asked me if they should confess to their lovers. I have come to see it is a selfish act. While most religions and 12 step programs say confess as the Catholics do. I say no. You are crushing the innocent partners soul with your confession. Sometimes it's better to take responsibility for your actions. Live with the pain of what you did. It will help guide you next time. When one laments the wrongs of their life it creates these pains. They are called the conscience. So live with them. And try to be better next time. I have made many mistakes and I shall atone for them in the end. I did these things myself and it is not for others to suffer the consequences. I am glad I will take my own transgressions with me. After all I am responsible for what I do as is everyone. I have spent many years trying to reconcile with myself. I am not saying I did anything truly awful. However I let myself down more than a few times in my youth.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Dear Tate,

Are you getting better as a writer?! It seems to me that your more recent writes greatly surpass what I've read of you in years past. Now know that I have always thought your poetry to be beautiful from a raw passion sense, and that full continues, but your recent skill in language is so wonderful.

Now in this piece, while I really love the poem, I read the "Author's Note" first, and I found the words to be profound. You and I agree wholeheartedly on this and I didn't think that any other really understood this. But you do. I am gratified. This is profound wisdom, Tate. I don't think I have any serious transgressions either--but you never know what might be serious to a loved one. Nonetheless, swallow it. Don't cause grief. Protect your loved ones. If they don't need to know and the knowledge would cause them pain, swallow it. Don't be selfish. Keep quiet and give them a hug instead. Now I'm not advocating lying or going behind a loved one's back. That is pure selfishness as well, and not in the best interests of family. No, I'm talking about protecting the ones you love, not pulling the wool over their eyes. I'm talking about being an adult and making well thought out and generous decisions. I'm talking about withholding unnecessary pain as you are as well.

Beautiful sentiments as always. I get this one and so fully agree.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Such emotion and felt it deep inside. Reminds a bit of my life and what was in it at that time I wish I could completely forget. Feels so real and true as if someone in this place. Wonderfully done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


wow, this one touches home. i never thought of it in the way you put it. Im always getting backlash for saying things that really didnt have to be said.Im glad i read this

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

11 Years Ago

Hi well I am glad you liked it I see things different from most hence I tend to write about those th.. read more
A great poem full of advice. I like it!

Savannah

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tate Morgan

11 Years Ago

Hi how are you dear? Thank you for reading this poem I understand it flies in the face of most opin.. read more
Falling Leaf.

11 Years Ago

I am fine, thank you. And yourself? I loved this poem.
Poetry sweet poetry may it helps the bitter medicine go down.
I see perfect wisdom simply put.
Thank you for this pleasure.
this sounds much like the poem I am writting now called Death by poetry.


Posted 11 Years Ago


Oh such a controversial and challenging meaning...Often people tell me honesty is the bets policy, and for certain things I would fully agree, but your poem totally explains why some things should be left unsaid.

Posted 11 Years Ago


the flow blows me away, so vivid and transforming in its nature, comes from
a place in the heart where wisdom expresses itself in the moment, loved it

Posted 11 Years Ago


There's a popular story of a carpenter everybody knows about. Its my impression that he took responsibility for himself and not transfer that to another. I think its the realization that we are all in this together.

When his people blamed him for their own faults, he must've smiled thinking they are not yet taking responsibility. When he said this is the truth of the human condition, the priests asked him to prove that it is so. Eventually he took it with him and demonstrated that he was prepared to live his beliefs....saying ' they know not what they do.'

Your poem reminds me of all these and the life we live these days.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This poem is admirable, so easy to relate to it. Many have different stories to tell about our confessions or other's confessions. In a way we all make mistakes, that's how we learn to survive to the next crossroad - to tell or not to tell.
Beautifully written, expressing all those moments of wonder.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very insightful. An interesting question, that... of confession. Funny how the truth at times, can hold just as many lies as one's guilt. Nice job

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

As you have written, I too, believe that telling all is not always the right thing to do. Hurting others to save your soul or ease your conscious only hurts the innocent. I believe I read somewhere in the AA suggestions that you should only confess your wrong doings if it will not hurt the other person. This is wonderful reminder Tate that sometimes we need to take others into consideration when we are putting our personal house in order. Thanks for a wonderful poem and something to think about.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5505 Views
100 Reviews
Shelved in 9 Libraries
Added on May 18, 2012
Last Updated on March 13, 2021
Tags: poetry, Life, Sad, adventure, mystery, pain, poem, romance, story, death, fantasy, fiction, heart, love

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..