The Visitor

The Visitor

A Story by The ArK
"

My memories of a visitor

"

During the two months I spent at Indore, we had a visitor every evening at the guest house. No matter what the climate is, he'll be there when it's time. I have seen him sitting there getting drenched in the heavy rain. I have seen him sitting on the top, even when the unbearably hot air blow on his face. It's like he doesn't give a f**k. He'll climb to the top of the tower in a flick of a second and will sit there facing the western horizon, when it is still crimson. Maybe he was enjoying the view, the sunset. I have never seen a sunset in Indore, except once we went to Mandu. But then we were in a car and there wasn't time to stop by and enjoy the view. But he's like he has got all the time in the world, doesn't f*****g care what's happening down here on earth. He seemed to be completely dissolved in that view, hypnotised by the beauty of the crimson horizon and the vast landscape in front. I wonder what was he looking for. The sunset is just my guess. Maybe for the ladies? Yeah, I have heard him calling the others in the loud shrilling voice of his. If only I knew his language, I could've asked him. In fact, I had a lot of questions to ask. I did try to speak his language but didn't go well I guess. I couldn't understand what he was saying and he didn't care what I had to say.


Those evenings, during the rest time between the badminton games, I used to look up at him and wonder what he's thinking then. There was something majestic about him. The way he sits there, the way he faces the wind, the way his colorful tail wiggle in that nocturnal wind, the way he embraces the rain. He seemed to be enjoying his life. Unlike many people down on earth, he seemed to be facing that bright side of life. I often fail to do that. This must be why I like him. Whenever I see him sitting on top of that mobile tower facing the crimson sky, I get a sudden urge to climb to the top and sit beside him, enjoying the view. I just wanted to get lost in the beauty of that moment like him, not giving a f**k about anything. My friends say I'm attracted to him. Maybe. Oh, it's not a maybe, I am indeed attracted to him because he is doing something I would never be able to do, or in a broader sense, any human would find difficult to do.

It's true, I really like that peacock and he'll be one of the things I'll miss at Indore!

© 2018 The ArK


Author's Note

The ArK
Some people do have a positive impact on us. Sometimes we see people doing things we always wanted to do but never did. It is not always a 'human' that does that!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A wonderful story shared my friend. I liked the place and how you used the description. Thank you for sharing the entertaining story.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


Yes, it is not always a human that does. At times, we could be a mere observant and learning how to do the things we always have wanted to.

Posted 3 Years Ago


This is a brilliant allegory that shows a transition in the narrator, where he starts out as a flippant storyteller, seemingly without much respect for the things he's describing, but then we read on & feel him transform into a more respectful tone, treating the scene with great honor. This is the way to say "nature will transform us, if we let it" -- but not using words, SHOWING instead of telling (the first rule of good writing). The flippant manner of the narrator felt a little "off-putting" at first, but then it fit the transformation, so it made sense. Your story could represent any number of ways that God talks to us thru the natural things he puts into our worlds to enjoy. I love your way of interpreting the sight of the peacock. I could tell it was a peacock before you revealed it, just by the way you described it. But revealing it at the end was a good thing becuz I wasn't sure & wanted that confirmation (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


Excellent prose, what I like especially is the excellent paragraphing, and the way the narrator uses the I form. Fine work, have a look at this.

Posted 5 Years Ago


I enjoyed this, you have a deeper understanding of life and how you view it. And admire you for that. Most people don't look any deeper than into themselves. Whereas you are reaching out and getting a deeper understanding of animals, nature, life and such like. Beautiful expressed. Enjoyed reading it.

Posted 5 Years Ago


The ArK

5 Years Ago

I think everyone should do that once in a while. Take a tour from the redundancy of everyday life. T.. read more
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

Exactly. Well said young man. I totally agree. Dawn.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 8, 2018
Last Updated on December 8, 2018
Tags: visitor, memoirs, indore

Author

The ArK
The ArK

Thrissur, Kerala, India



About
I believe complex thoughts can be conveyed through simple words. I write simple, but trying to mean a lot. And I'm 24. more..

Writing
Us and Them Us and Them

A Poem by The ArK


Ode to Life Ode to Life

A Poem by The ArK



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..