Experience: Im sorry Mom

Experience: Im sorry Mom

A Story by arlery
"

A story about a young man confessing about his childhood life

"
I  was a child belonging to a wealthy family and so was very well brought up. But being an only child I was very spoilt. I ate whatever I wanted and did whatever I wanted. I had a group of cool and popular friends who I considered the world to me.

I am recollecting all my memories; some agonising ones while some really cheerful which I cherish the most. My downfall had been awful, I was so crestfallen that I felt I could no longer live. Nobody could imagine what fate was in store for me at that age.

It was five ‘o clock in the morning when my dad woke me up for the Fajr prayer, I was feeling sleepy, so instead of praying I went back to sleep. The next thing I knew was that noises were coming from downstairs. Curious to know what was happening, I changed my clothes and went downstairs. It wasn’t a pretty sight that met my eyes.

 I saw Mom crying bitterly and Dad looked really upset. I wanted to know what the matter was, so I asked her, but instead of answering she ignored me. That was weird, my mother never ignored me but it was even worse to think that they were hiding stuff from me. Feeling snubbed, I started screaming and faked crying to get instant attention from Mom; and it worked. She rushed to stop me from shouting but I didn’t stop. After a few seconds, I started feeling dizzy and everything went blank.

When I opened my eyes I found myself in a strange new place. I looked around and saw that the room was very clean and consisted of two chairs and a table; there were also some bouquets on the table that had my name and ‘Get well soon’ written on them.

At the same time, my parents came rushing in with the doctor and told me that everything was going to be alright, but the doctor said he wanted to talk to me. I was startled at this, but nevertheless I agreed. I knew he was going to break some terrible news.

The doctor told me that they had diagnosed a serious disease and I was going to have regular check-ups from now onwards. That didn’t sound so bad, in fact it sounded like nothing serious because I was not told which disease. But it was not until a few years later that I found out I had been diagnosed with diabetics at the time. The doctor also gave me a paper that said I couldn’t eat chocolates or sweet stuff a lot. He also said that I shouldn’t tire myself by playing a lot of games that involved running as that could make me fall sick.

Therefore, I had to take a lot of precautions because diabetes at such an age is difficult to cope with. Then, I came to realise the blessing of health, and realised that I was lucky that I had not been diagnosed with a serious or fatal disease. I just had to keep a check of my sugar intake. My Mom became my strength, my reason of wanting to get well. She was by my side whenever I needed support and, thus, here I am today, all grown up, not that little spoilt rich kid anymore but a successful young man. All thanks to my Mom and Dad.

Life is very precious and good health makes life worth living. We should not take anything for granted and love our parents and family for they are the ones who stand by our side through thick and thin, and give us the strength to fight the odds.

© 2010 arlery


Author's Note

arlery
This was my first short story so please ignore the grammer mistakes

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very good first effort, written with sensitivity and a bit of wisdom. I know from my own experiences that it's easy to take one's health for granted. (A big mistake)

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is a good write. Enjoyed it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tim
Well done. This is an inspirational story everyone should read. I'll give it 100.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is wonderful, I loved it, very bittersweet indeed. I just adored the last paragraph, it's so very true and the "strength to fight the odds" just wow, absolutely love it, very deep and emotional, great job keep it up!~

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

425 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 9, 2010
Last Updated on November 9, 2010

Author

arlery
arlery

About
Sometimes, I just wanna just take up my favorite fantasy book and live in my own fiction world... "I prefer to be dreamer, among the humblest with visions to be realized, rather than lord among tho.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


An Addiction An Addiction

A Poem by OT