Letters

Letters

A Story by ayesha cullen

The old times, old glory, and the old memories have left an imprint on my mind. Gone are those halcyon days where emotions were veritable and feelings, palpable. The digitized world has robbed me off that pleasure now, and sadly, forever.

I am often reminded of those days where letters were exchanged between people, ready and waiting to be unfurled in deep excitement and anticipation. They were not mere words scribbled on a thin piece of paper. They extended beyond what words could describe; they were emotions running into the abyss of an emotional gut that came out to be spread on that little piece of paper to evoke its real essence.

Letters captured every bit of that tiny emotion which otherwise could not have been easily said to one another. It is redolent of love, happiness, anger and sadness--a motley collection of varied emotions trapped into one single piece of paper that we call, a letter. I miss the exhilaration of having to receive one after a gap of many days, and the thrill when, the package of emotions flowing in rhythmic words, finally get placed on my hands, wrapped in a beautifully decorated envelope. It is nothing but a sense of elation that runs through you which transports you to a world of euphoria.

The real essence of letters comes through the words a mother writes to her son or her daughter. It comes through the words a wife writes to her husband when he is working with gunshots at the border and absorbs each and every word of love and solace that washes over him a sense of eternal relief. The essence lies when a lover writes to her partner with a passionate fervour, invoking a smile on his face. It is the love, the care, the warmth and the comfort that builds up the true sentiment of letters. It is also a sense of anger, sadness and melancholy that devours it. So much of a burden a single letter bears, and yet, bears it all in gaiety.

This mechanized world has eroded the emotions once shared through letters, and tore them apart into pieces unknown. This world brings me pain. I was certainly born in the golden era, but I wish I had died there, too. Emotions and feelings have become mere words of play, losing the touch of ingenuity.

© 2017 ayesha cullen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on December 9, 2017
Last Updated on December 9, 2017

Author

ayesha cullen
ayesha cullen

India



About
A romantic by nature; a realist by default. more..

Writing