Koyal Group InfoMag - Asteroid mining could be useful to space travel

Koyal Group InfoMag - Asteroid mining could be useful to space travel

A Story by Ashley Jones
"

Along with sustainability benefits, corralling an asteroid could result in long-term economic benefits. One study I read says that one asteroid about a mile in diameter has enough precious metal.

"


Earth is more than just our home planet �" it's is a giant spaceship with a finite amount of materials. Strain on Earth's resources grows in proportion to the human population, and the planet is already running out of important materials such as the rare earth metals that make our electronics work. However, some University researchers are embarking on an effort to lessen the stress on the mother ship: the endeavor of asteroid mining.

 

Asteroid mining refers to a future practice in which humans could prospect, corral and mine asteroids �" flying chunks of rock in space �" for useful materials such as water, iron, platinum and rare earth metals. The materials could be used for many different economic and welfare purposes.

 

NASA’s 2014 budget proposal contains the Asteroid Initiative, which provides a model of what asteroid mining would look like. The first step of the initiative would be prospecting, or examining an asteroid to determine what elements it contains. The second step would be redirection, or capturing the asteroid to bring it under control and moving it to a safe place for mining, such as the Moon’s orbit. The third and final step would be the mining itself, either manned or unmanned.

 

One purpose of asteroid mining would be to utilize materials in space exploration. Engineering Prof. Alec Gallimore said asteroid mining would be a valuable contribution to expanded space programs.

 

“The question is, ‘What is the most efficient way of colonizing the solar system?’” he said. “And the notion of doing that might be so-called ‘living off the land.’ Instead of bringing resources that we need to colonize Mars, asteroids, etc. all the way from the Earth, what if we were able to actually extract those essential materials that are needed locally?”

© 2014 Ashley Jones


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
Added on February 18, 2014
Last Updated on February 18, 2014
Tags: The Koyal Group, Science, Discoveries, Information Magazine, Asteroid, mining, useful, space, travel

Author

Ashley Jones
Ashley Jones

Denmark



Writing