Hostage of The Mind

Hostage of The Mind

A Poem by Ashlene Singh
"

Depression can be very consuming. Finding hope can be a struggle.

"
As scraped the cold black walls I began to feel a rush of fear, the darkness swallowing me was becoming for real, I tried to see where my fingers lay, but the ice cold cement made me want to pull away. 

I looked around and could not understand where I was, And the feeling I felt made me confused, I crawled up within the darkness, shivering with fear, lost and alone. As I looked up I could see the light, but how do I climb such an impossible height?

The concrete that surrounded filled me with terror, reminding me that the light was never coming to me. I lay on the cold wet floor, remembering days of pure delight, when I was surrounded by all kinds of light. Red for the one i cherished so, blue for the loved ones that helped me grow, yellow for the those who made me laugh, and pink for the ones that accompanied me to class..

As I pondered I cried, because I realized I lost all the things that made me happy in life. I fell into the black well, like a prisoner being held in a cell. A cell so dark that there was no hope, the air was so thick it made me choke, the feeling of guilt filled my stomach, selfishly taking space so nutrition could not enter it, 
The cold breeze sent needles in my back, the loud noises gave my mind an attack, why am I surrounded with nothing but black? 

I called from the well for anyone to see me, to save me and take me out if this hell, but no one could understand that I was trapped in this well. And there I was stuck in that cell, from life itself I had to be expelled. There I decided I will take charge, there had to be some way to get away from the dark. By my feet were some bottles of pills, if I take them all then I will not live. As I opened the cap and dispense the contents, I thought finally I will be content, I imagined being in a golden place, warm, fluffy, quiet and calm. The only way I could get there is if I took what was in my palm. At that moment my pain had calmed.

© 2016 Ashlene Singh


Author's Note

Ashlene Singh
Thank you for reading my poem. Please let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on February 28, 2016
Last Updated on February 28, 2016
Tags: Depression, Bipolar, mental illness, pain, suffering

Author

Ashlene Singh
Ashlene Singh

Vancouver, Canada



About
Basically I write about my experiences, life and struggles with mental illness. I hope that my writing can give hope to others suffering from mental illness. more..

Writing
Hope Hope

A Poem by Ashlene Singh