Chapter One ~ The End

Chapter One ~ The End

A Chapter by aubreydiamond

S**t…’

I spun the plastic stick in my hand over and over. I couldn't look at it; Who knew inanimate objects could hold so much power over you.

S**t… f**k.’

I must look like a mess right now. Pants and undies around my ankles, sitting in a manky cubicle, waiting. I didn't even put toilet paper on the seat to protect myself from the gas station STI’s. It can happen, you know, but I guess that was the least of my concerns right now.

I turned the plastic over in my hands so the little screen was facing up. I still didn't look at it.

I'm not a stupid girl. I know I'm not. I always do well and strive for the best that I can be, in fact I'm constantly reminded by my parents of my achievements and successes. It never seems to get old for them, bragging about their high achieving daughter to anyone who actually gave a f**k. But I guess after being reminded so regularly it became normal, it was easy to please them. All I had to do was be myself.

And then this s**t happens.

Positive. Congratulations! You're pregnant!

Whatever I considered normal was thrown out the window of a twenty-story building and shattered to a million f*****g pieces.

Pregnant, at 17. I'm already a cliché; a young high-achiever falls into the wrong crowd and sells youth for motherhood. Great! Mum and dad are going to love this. Almost as much as Luke will…

 

I peeled myself off of the disgusting toilet and left the horrid bathroom, chucking the test in the bin on my way out. I couldn't look at it anymore.

Stepping out of the bathroom was like stepping into a whole other world. The gas stations lights felt like they were doubled in intensity since I'd arrived, and there seemed to be more people inside than before. Although they're strangers, I can't help but feel they're looking at me, scrutinising me, like they know something that they shouldn't.

I don't like this. At all. I feel transparent, confused and foolish. I should know what to do, but for the first time in my life, I don't.

It's only when the girl behind the counter caught my attention that I realised I was standing in the bathroom doorway staring into space.

‘Are you alright?’ She asked me.

No, how the f**k could you say something like that you idiot?

‘Yes. I'm fine,’ I replied. I pivoted on the spot and made my way to the exit, still feeling a handful of eyes trailing me as I went.

S**t, I forgot to pay for the test. I turned back around and quickly marched back to the counter. I must look like a dickhead right now, judging from the slightly raised eyebrow of the checkout-chick.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out a $20 note and put it on the counter.

‘Just keep the change,’ I muttered to her.

‘What is this for though?’ She asked, confused. My mouth opened but no words came out. I didn't know this girl, but I'd seen her around school.

S**t… school. For about half an hour I'd completely forgotten I was still amidst my education, that I was still a student, that I was still a teenager, that I was still a part of the social hierarchy that made up my friends and the rest of the school. I couldn't tell her I was used a pregnancy test before I paid for it, and risk being the centre of attention for something I didn't decide to do.

But here I am getting lost in my worries again, because the girl is really looking at me now; with that same kind of concerned look my mother gives me when she knows I'm intentionally hiding something from her. The worst I did was hide food in my room, not another human being in my womb. Uhg, even thinking that is fucked up.

I simply pushed the bank note closer to her and turned and walked out without another word. I could still feel eyes on my back but at this point I didn't care about anyone else.

Outside felt even worse. The world felt suddenly huge and I felt suddenly insignificantly small. I realised I hadn't thought any further than exiting the gas station - where was I supposed to go now? If I go home I'll exude the reality that life just flipped me upside down and shook everything I had out into the unknown. So that's definitely not an option.

I needed someone.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and walked well out of the eyesight of the gas-station-audience, pressing the green message icon and entering the most recent conversation thread. I'd never typed so fast in my life.

[I need to see you ASAP. Can you meet me a Lazuli’s in 15? X]

I put my phone straight back in my pocket and marched down the street towards the town centre. Within what felt like seconds, my pocket buzzed. It was out and in my hand before the vibration had stopped.

A single banner across my lock screen read:

[BERRY:

I'm already there x]

I just about burst into tears where I stood, but thought better of it as an elderly man with his ugly little fluffy dog walked past. Instead I carried on forwards with haste.

Jesus f*****g Christ what a day.



© 2019 aubreydiamond


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Now, this sounds a great start to a really good story. I like the down to earth, raw and gritty speech and words used. Articulate, funny even. But a serious topic at hand being spoken about. But in a normal easy to use and understand way. And the situation. Anyone could relate to and sympathise with. looking forward to reading the next chapter. Entertained me too.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

aubreydiamond

5 Years Ago

Thank you Dawn! Bless you - it’s definitely an amalgam of all of those themes. Really, really glad.. read more



Reviews

An "apt" beginning. Draws in quite naturally and the verbal and visual cues fit the situation.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

aubreydiamond

4 Years Ago

Thank you Chris! :)
Now, this sounds a great start to a really good story. I like the down to earth, raw and gritty speech and words used. Articulate, funny even. But a serious topic at hand being spoken about. But in a normal easy to use and understand way. And the situation. Anyone could relate to and sympathise with. looking forward to reading the next chapter. Entertained me too.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

aubreydiamond

5 Years Ago

Thank you Dawn! Bless you - it’s definitely an amalgam of all of those themes. Really, really glad.. read more
well,this sounds like a great book to read,i liked it

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

aubreydiamond

5 Years Ago

Thank you! Hope you enjoy the rest of it 😊
 wordman

5 Years Ago

you`re welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

457 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 27, 2019
Last Updated on February 23, 2019
Tags: drama, young adult, pregnancy, coming of age, fiction, life, death, love, birth, teenage, comedy, baby, friends, family, murder, drugs, swearing, course language, aroha


Author

aubreydiamond
aubreydiamond

New Zealand



About
I come in peace! My name is Aubrey, I’ve been a creative witch for as long as I can remember. Writing, drawing and all of the creative outlets have been my source of magic since I could craf.. more..

Writing