Entry 1: 2 - 26 - 12

Entry 1: 2 - 26 - 12

A Chapter by A. L. Allen

Dear Journal,      2 �" 26 - 12

          My name is Taylor; at least, that’s what my friends and family call me. To everyone else, though, I have a variety of names. I’ve been called stick-lady, pig-face, ugly, worthless, freak, and a whole bunch of other things that I don’t care to repeat. Every day I walk through school, names are hurled at me left and right; just because people think I’m slightly different. My friends try to tell me that the things those people say aren’t true, but it’s hard to believe the minority when the majority pegs you as something else.

You know, we’ve all heard the saying “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me”. But, I have a hard time agreeing with that. Harsh words sting and fester like nothing else. Take it from somebody that knows.

We hear all the time that the opinions of others don’t matter; that we are who we choose to be. The thoughts behind those sayings are great and well-intentioned, but they make me wonder if the people that came up with them have ever been called names before; as in constantly. Unfortunately, our reality and society are based upon the perceptions of others, and it’s very difficult to overcome that.

Take, for example, a rose. We associate the word “rose” with something beautiful and fragrant; something that immediately makes us think of love and elegance in one of its highest forms. Now, take the word “wart”, which we associate with something gross and repulsive, and magically have everyone start calling roses warts. What happens? Our outlook of the rose completely changes. While it still maintains its true identity- that of a truly magnificent flower �"it would become a nasty, ugly wart in the eyes of everyone else because if the label it was given.

          I think that the same goes for everyone, including me. If people label you as something- whether good or bad �"and you are constantly reminded of that acquired label, then, inevitably, you will start to believe that you are what people say you are, and in so doing become that label. It’s sad and depressing, but it’s the cold hard truth of life.

 

~Taylor



© 2012 A. L. Allen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awe this is sad! Really great thought!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


An extremely good diary entry! I think it reads very honestly and I almost believe that this is a real person! Being bullied is such a serious thing that everyone encounters and I really liked reading this. The font is hard to read but I do see that you were trying to imitate hard writing. A good introduction too.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Poor Taylor :C

Posted 12 Years Ago


Heh.. I can totally empathize with the different names. There's only one name I like to be called, MY ACTUAL NAME. However it seems so few people actually do so.

As for the write, there's just something about how the train of thought continues that makes one want to continue to read. More so the topic of labeling, something that anyone can really say they've experienced.

I like it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Beautiful!!! I too have been called many names. Every day I am called hideous and other names such as "dirty Brit." and many worse things that I won't mention. In the words of Martin Luther King jr. “In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” I hope Taylor doesn't have those kinds of friends.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I really like the way you see this topic. I agree with every point you made in this entry.
This was a good write and read, I'm truly inspired. Great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


People say this is a different style way different from your other writing styles. I'm impressed that you took the risk of doing this and it turns out, that it's wonderful. There's not much journal kind of books lately except for the Dork Diaries Series (too girly for me) and the Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series (Eh, too old) but this kind of journal style brings out the truth to an everyday teenage girl's life. I like how you did that, brought it back in this style. So far, I love it. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is really nice Ally! It's not fantasy, compared to your other works, but I like this writing style of yours as well. Just a question- this doesn't actually HAPPEN to you right? Cuz if it does I will come and beat sense into everyone who thinks that.

Oh and I like your thought of labeling in here. It's so very true.. sadly enough.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well this is a bit different from your other works! I think it IS spectacular. :) *reads on*

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is a great different style of writing for you. It isn't as spectacular as your other works, but this is still amazing. I love the way that you focus on labelling as this is something in our world today that should be addressed and stopped. Cannot wait to read more:)

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

724 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 8, 2012
Last Updated on March 9, 2012


Author

A. L. Allen
A. L. Allen

Logan , UT



About
Welcome! I have had a lifetime passion for writing. I started when my father introduced me to the wonders of Microsoft Word on a dinosaur of a computer, and haven't stopped since. I have attempted .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by A. L. Allen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..