Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by fayriii

*Miria*

Miria stormed away angrily, her face twisted in ire. Her feet scuffing into the ground caused tiny clouds of dust to puff at her feet. Her mind was made up, and nobody was going to tell her otherwise.

“Miria, wait,” Zared called, jogging up to stand in front of her with his hands raised. “I’m just trying to think of your safety.”

The flame inside her rose. “Safety?” she cried. “What, do you have the memory of a goldfish? I can take care of myself.” She pushed past him towards the direction of her house, the annoyance itching underneath her skin. I can take care of myself.

“I understand that,” Zared tried again, following her. “But you don’t know what’s out there. For all you know you could be dead within the next two days!” 

Miria whirled around to face him with her fists balled up. “I know what I’m doing, okay?! Just drop it!” 

Zared’s face took on a concerned, pitying look, only adding the fuel to Miria’s fire. She huffed in frustration and set off back towards her house. Like most of the houses in the village, it was a one room hut that didn’t allow for many people to live in it. Straw mats covered the floor where a person could unroll a thin mattress to sleep on at night. In the center of the room was a square, shallow dip in the floor used for fire. Right now her grandmother was using the fire with a pot held over it, the tantalizing scent of warm soup wafting through the front door. She opened the door and threw her leather bag onto the ground, grabbing a pillow from the floor and screaming into it. 

Her grandma looked up from tending the soup and smiled. “Is Zared giving you trouble again?”

Miria sighed roughly and sat down with the pillow tucked under her, folding her arms. “More trouble than is necessary, that’s for sure.” 

Her grandma was quiet for a moment. “He’s right you know.”

Miria looked at her with an incredulous expression, appalled. “Not you, too! You know I have to do this, Baba.” 

Baba sighed and handed Miria a bowl of soup which she gratefully accepted, the gesture immediately making her feel calmer. “I know, Miria. But just because I know doesn’t mean I like it. Going out on your own like this is very dangerous.” 

After taking a few sips she set the bowl down, more determined than angry now. “It’s not like I can’t defend myself. I’m not going to let all those years of training go to waste. Anybody who attacks me is going to find themselves very sorry.” 

Baba gave her a sad smile and reached over to tuck a piece of chin-length hair behind her ear. “I guess I’m just sad to see my only granddaughter go off into the world.” 

Miria immediately softened and laid her cheek against her grandma’s palm. “I love you so much, Baba. And you know I wouldn’t leave you if I had a choice.” She took out the pendant from inside her shirt and gazed at it. About the length of her ring finger, it was shaped like pointed hexagonal prism, tapered slightly at one end. A strange swirl of purple and blue colors, she slightly shook it and watched as it glowed with an ethereal light, casting small shadows on her hand. The glowing light retreated into a single point on the right side of the pendant, extending about half a foot into the air to point her in a direction. 

She closed her palm around the pendant, her grip tightening. “Wherever this light points, that’s where Dad is. And I’m going to find him.”


*Jonete*

Jonete could still feel her jaw throbbing. It throbbed every time she tried to eat. Or talk. Or pretty much do anything that involved moving it. She lifted a hand to rub it but stopped midway. She’d been through this before. There was no use irritating the already irritated wound. She’s just have to let it heal by itself. Just like every other time it’s happened. 

She looked up at the sky, letting out a sigh of relief that tonight was the new moon. With no moonlight to light up the grounds, she’d have no problem escaping. Flipping her hood over her face, she took her first cautious steps away from the wall. Sticking to the shadows, her feet didn’t make any sound as she made her way around the yard. 

She reached her exit point, cleverly marked out earlier in the day, and held her hands out in front of her as if holding a small ball. “Conjuring spell: grappling hook,” she whispered. The rope pictured in her mind appeared in her hands, and  Jonete gazed up at the wall that towered above her. She stepped away from it, fear fluttering her stomach at the thought of getting caught. 

Her mouth dry, she swallowed and held the rope about three feet away from the hook. She twirled it in her hand, making it go faster and faster before shooting it up to the top of the wall, praying it didn’t make too much noise. She cringed at the scraping sound it made, but what did she expect? Metal grating against stone tended to make that noise. 

She pulled on the rope a bit to test its hold, then quickly started walking up the wall, using the rope to keep her steady. The fear in her stomach had quickly made her insides turn to mush, and her heartbeat pulsed in her throat. She swallowed again and tried making her breathing a bit quieter, acutely aware of it in the still night. 

By the time Jonete reached the path above the wall her legs felt like jelly, and she hurriedly wrapped up the grappling hook in her hands. Stuffing it in her bag, she took a look at her surroundings to determine her next steps.

“Hey, you! Stop!” a gruff voice sounded behind her, and she whipped around to see one of the guards holding a lantern away from his body to get a look at her. She cursed under her breath and started to run the opposite direction. She had been too hopeful that everything would go smoothly. 

Her arms pumping at her sides, she raced across the path, adrenaline flooding her system. She would not get caught tonight. She would rather die first. By now guards across the wall had noticed the commotion, and she could see the lights bouncing farther ahead of her as they made their way towards her. 

But her more immediate problem was the guard in front of her, the closest one to one who had noticed her. He leveled his spear to her and assumed a low stance, ready to attack if necessary. Which was probably about to be. 

She stopped in her tracks and glanced behind her. The guard hadn’t caught up to her yet. She had some time. She turned back to face the other guard. A beefy man with scars running across his face, she knew she had to face him if she was going to make it out of here. 

“Who are you?” he demanded, his deep voice booming. “Tell us your name and your business and I won’t attack!” 

“But I will,” she muttered. She held her hand out in front of her, her palm facing the guard. “Perception spell: confusion!” 

A light flashed around the guard once and the spear clattered out of his hands, his face taking on a vacant expression. She raced past him and felt a sense of satisfaction at the blank look in his eyes. He won’t be snapping out of that anytime soon. 

In the time it took to stun that guard the others had caught up to her, and she bit into her lip. There wasn’t enough time to get away. She had to do something else. An idea raced across her mind. It would take up almost of all her energy, but she had no other choice.

The guards had her surrounded, and were closing in on her with stunning crystals. She didn’t have time. It was now or never. She closed her eyes and held her hands at her sides, her palms facing the ground. “Somatic spell: teleportation.” She felt a bright light envelop her and relished in the shocked sounds the guards made. A rushing sensation whipped around her body, and when it stopped she opened her eyes to find herself in the forest just outside the city a few meters away from the cabin she’d built steadily over the past year or so specifically for this reason. She took a step towards it and watched the world around her spin as she collapsed on the ground, darkness swallowing her vision whole.


*Zared*

He waited outside Miria’s house and breathed into the crisp air, watching the cloud of mist that followed. The sun hadn’t shown its face yet, the sky a beautiful mix of indigo and pink. He breathed out again, amused by the puffs his breaths caused. Then he sighed. How much longer would he have to wait for Miria?

As soon as the thought crossed his mind her front door opened and she stepped out, jumping slightly when she saw him. The shock on her face turned to irritation in less than a heartbeat. “Forget it, Zared. You’re not convincing me otherwise. You of all people should know that I’m not going to stop until I find my father.” 

Zared sighed and gave her a look of grudging acceptance. “I know, Miria. And even though you’re too stubborn to hear any of my arguments, at least let me follow you to the edge of the village.” 

Miria’s eyebrow lifted in disbelief. “Are you kidding? It’s, like, fifty meters from here. I don’t think anyone’s gonna attack me in the time.” 

He rolled his eyes. “Will you just let me? I don’t want to say goodbye until I have to.” 

At that her gaze softened, and she gave him a small smile that made his heart flutter. “Alright. Let’s go then.” 

They walked together in silence towards the gate, and Zared tried to think of how he was going to tell her. He had to tell her. He wouldn’t forgive himself if he didn’t do this. He glanced down at Miria. At five foot two, her head was about the same height as his shoulders. Her chin length brown hair contrasted nicely with the yellowish green color of her eyes and, although he would never say this out loud, he was in love with her. There was no way he was going to let the girl he loved out in the forest on her own. He’d already lost one person that way. 

When they reached the gate Miria turned to him and Zared’s stomach clenched in anticipation. Miria stepped forward and wrapped her arms around his torso, causing his heart to skip a beat. He hugged her back, mentally preparing himself for what he was about to say. 

She pulled away and gave him a sad smile. “I’m sorry about this Zared. I know you’re worried for me and I appreciate that, but this is something I have to do.” 

Zared swallowed and placed his hands on her shoulders. It was time. “I know. But there’s something I have to tell you before you go.”

Her eyebrows scrunched together in that adorable way they always did when she was thinking. “What?”

He took a deep breath. “I’m coming with you.” 

She gave him an incredulous look. “Huh? No way. You can’t be serious.” He just stared at her until he saw her expression morph to one of understanding and acceptance. “But I can see that no matter what I say you’re just going to follow me anyway.” She sighed. And then flashed a mischievous smile. “Just don’t slow me down, okay?” 

He flashed her a grin back, removing his hands from her shoulders. “I know.” His smile fell away. “Besides, there are other reasons for accompanying you.” 

Miria’s expression grew serious. “Yeah. I figured about as much.” She hiked her bag on her shoulder and faced towards the gate, the sunrise lighting up the woods from the east. “Let’s go, Zared.”

He tore his gaze away from her and stared out into the forest, the woods inviting him, tempting him. “Yeah.”



© 2017 fayriii


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on January 2, 2017
Last Updated on January 2, 2017


Author

fayriii
fayriii

CA



About
i like writing. yay more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by fayriii


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by fayriii


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by fayriii