Woe

Woe

A Story by chaotic katie

WOE

 

I got in the taxi, not really knowing where I was going until I saw her. Eyes like diamonds, lips curved up in a smile. No! I was not going to let this happen again, I would never forget what she did to me. She betrayed me, made me fall for her, then led me to a most certain demise. Perhaps I should explain, long story short, she is an angel. No I’m serious, sent from heaven to come and give me hell. I can't say i hate her, but can’t blame her I guess, someone had to put me in my place. The damned don’t just get so lucky to have an angel, especially her. I call her woe. She has a name, it started with a J but I didn’t remember much after our last unfortunate meeting. Bullets don’t feel too pretty, especially in the head, three times. Two words, not necessary. Yeah it hurt, being betrayed by the one thing I thought could save me. Out of that I realized how foolish I was, and in almost every way, I despised her. Almost. There was still something inside of me that longed for her. I guess some parts of a foolish man never die, or should I say can’t be killed by three bullets to the skull. “You know what day it is don’t you?”, She asked innocently. “Easy, Tuesday”, I replied. “Its Valentine’s day”, she said. “Yeah, as if I’d forget”, I replied as I looked over at the window decals of the cab. There it was, a sticker of cupid, mocking me. “I’d kill that stupid baby if I had the chance”, I said, shaking my head. She looked at me sympathetically. “What? , is he your cousin or something?”, I said sarcastically. “It’s just a silly icon”, she said, “like Santa clause, or the Easter bunny”. “Stop here”, I called to the cab driver, ignoring her. The cab stopped in front of the empire state building. I hopped out and began to shove my way through the crowd of people. I looked behind me. Oh just perfect, she was following me. I began to speed up until I had finally noticed that she had frozen time. I would have done it myself if our last unfortunate meeting hadn’t taken all my power except to fly. This made it easier  for me. I guess if she wanted to catch me, she clearly didn’t think it through. I outstretched my wings and flew to the top. As if I’d forget that she has wings too. Once at the top, I folded my wings back inside my skin and turned around, crossing my arms over my chest. “What are you doing?”, she screamed in panic. “What? You want to be the one to do it?, by all means go ahead”, I bowed. “I’m not going to hurt you Cyrus”, she assured, still with the sad puppy face. “Didn’t stop you last time now did it?, you know it’s  funny how the last time you used that face on me, I actually believed that you cared for me”, I said with an icy tone. “I do care Cyrus”, she said. “Yeah, no way I’m falling for that one  again”, I said, turning to face yet another demise. I was just about to go over the edge, both feet off the ground, when she pulled me back down. I landed on my back. “Ow!”, I said annoyed. “What the hell was that for?”. “Cyrus, I’ve changed, learned, from my mistakes. You’re not evil, in fact, I am the evil one, I killed you!”, she said, tears in her eyes. “Yeah how could I forget”, I said sitting up to where she knelt before me, meeting her eye level unintentionally. “Oh Cyrus, I’d do anything for your forgiveness, I swear it”, She begged. “Surely the big man in the sky isn’t angered,” I started, but she put a finger to my lips. “Cyrus listen to me this has nothing to do with heaven or hell or anything like that, just us”, she said. Then the real surprise came, she pressed her lips to mine and when we separated she looked at me longingly, a way she had never looked at me before. Whimsical and flirtatious yes, but longing, never. My heart started pounding in my chest but I hid it well as I usually do.“Just us huh?”, I replied as I stood up. “Just us”, she nodded in reassurance. I pulled her close and kissed her again. Just then, it began to rain. We smiled to each other and I took her in my arms, as if she were a child. I extended my wings and flew to the ground. I lowered my arms, gently so her tiny, angelic feet could touch the ground. She embraced me in a hug and as I held her back, she looked up into my eyes.  “I love you Cyrus”, she proclaimed. “I’ve loved you all along”, I said, “Just no bullets this time, at least pointed at me, okay woe”, I said. “Woe?”, she questioned. “It’s what I used to call you, you know, when you tried to kill me, but I guess I should just go back to calling you Jamie”, I said, realizing that I had finally remembered her name, along with so many other memories, good memories, to drown out all the bad that had remained permanent until this day. She came close to my face, rubbing her tiny nose against mine. “No bullets, no guns, daggers, or poison”, She reassured me. “I hadn’t even considered those options, is there some other loophole I didn’t think through?”, I asked smiling. She shook her head no and gleamed back, waving her hand to unfreeze everyone. I wish I could say that we walked off into the sunset together, but in reality it was out of a stampeding crowd of New Yorkers, it didn’t matter to me, and judging by the smile upon her face, she didn’t mind either. I could finally be with her, and to me, this was truly a taste of pure heaven.

 

© 2013 chaotic katie


Author's Note

chaotic katie
So, as some of you may know, i run a group called the challengers and I decided to write a story using the details from our most recent contest. A taxi, an old enemy, and you guessed it, Valentines day. Also if this group sounds like fun, come join us, its open membership. For now however, the usual, hope you all enjoyed this. I enjoy feedback so feel more than welcome to tell me what you think of this peice.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on February 4, 2013
Last Updated on February 16, 2013

Author

chaotic katie
chaotic katie

Canton, OH



About
Greetings darling writers, allow me to explain a bit about myself. I started writing when I was 13 and fell in love with it. Over the years I have won 2 awards for it. I keep most of my old works pos.. more..

Writing