Goodbye from the Gallows

Goodbye from the Gallows

A Story by inhale
"

brief start to a story im creating

"

He swallowed the brew with ease, a thin veil of pleasure surfacing in the fact that death was only a few sips away. The minute gap between the front of his teeth was barely visible as his lips struggled to hold onto that last breath of positivity and his smile crashed bitterly, sinking and falling until his face retained its familiar sorrow. He felt pity begin to seep into the room around him and set his jaw to withhold the angry tears. His own self-pity had relented weeks ago, vacating its location to find a better home than the worthless body it had previously inhabited. He heard chairs scraping, feet shuffling towards the door and he exhaled with relief, slightly overjoyed that they were leaving.

 

He heard a soft I love you as they left and nearly fell into a fit of laughter at the utterance. They didn’t love him. They loved the idea of him. They loved wallowing in the sorrow that one of their own was near death. It could have been anyone lying placidly on that bed, could have been any brown haired boy with gauged ears, could have been any lost soul lying on the gourney. But instead it was him. And he thanked the non-existent God above that it was.

 

Broken clocks held nothing on shallow goodbyes. He’d rather stare effusively at dislodged hands and minute gears than suffer through the sympathetic bloodbath his relatives managed to create with their tears. Their salty solutions were empty, save for the basic pity and sympathy every human being was innate with. They were apathetic for all the wrong reasons. He didn’t think they grasped the concept that he was looking forward to Hell. They sat by his bedside table and bowed their heads continuously to God and for what? They could pray for mercy all they wanted but the fact of the matter was that no one could save him from himself; God included.

 

Seconds from the end, whats it gonna be, pull the trigger b***h.

© 2010 inhale


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It certainly has a lot of intrigue. Loved the cynicism in the second paragraph. Only problem was, afraid I did not understand the last line,

Seconds from the end, whats it gonna be, pull the trigger b***h.


Posted 14 Years Ago


"another bullet fills the chamber....and I will live with no more anger"

This is a great short piece. Bitter. Anger. Angst. Futility. Even hatred to some extent. Well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


it was good

Posted 14 Years Ago


I'm captivated by it. I hope you write more, it's a very intriguing beginning.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

313 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 24, 2010
Last Updated on January 24, 2010