Chapter 3- A helping hand and surprise attacks

Chapter 3- A helping hand and surprise attacks

A Chapter by badgerton
"

An introduction to Zakara and Mataias' stories.. A work in progress

"

Rain poured down onto the streets of Kaineng City, as Zakara jogged towards his residence on the Arouki Byway.  He pulled his collar up to ward off the cold airs crisp bite, and wiped a hand over his brow, dismissing the water from his eyes.  The sounds of discussion reached his ears as he turned towards the building housing his quarters and office. 

“I have come to pay your loan Sunoku,” an elderly man stooped over a cane said; “My daughter wasn’t thinking when she took it.  We do not need it!”

The man called Sunoku smiled “Oh that is no problem Zangho, so you have all 250 gold then?”

The older man’s head snapped up, his eyes open in shock “But my daughter said she only took 100 gold pieces!”

Sunoku threw back his head as he laughed, “You fool,” he cackled, “did you really think I offered my services for free?”

The old man straightened up, his withered face passive “I refuse to pay such a preposterous fee!”

Sunoko’s smile turned dark and ugly, “You will pay what I demand,” his voice said coldly, “And if you don’t pay up in full, I have other ways of ensuring I get my payment.”

“No need for that, I’ll pay you...” stammered Zangho, backing away as Sunoku stepped forward.

“You better see that it is done!” turning on his heels Sunoku stalked away leaving Zangho in the middle of the street, soaking wet from the rain.

Zakara approached the old man and knelt down in front of him, the man’s eyes were red as tears leaked out, mixing with the cold rain on his face.  Zakara placed a reassuring hand on the man’s shoulder, and steered him towards his place, and out of the cold rainy night.

“Take off those wet clothes, before you catch your death,” Zakara’s voice lilted, “I’ll fetch you some new ones and get us some tea.”

Leading the frail man to a room lined with books, Zakara handed Zangho a dry tunic and pants.

                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

“So tell me Master Zangho,” Zakara peered over a cup of green tea, “why were you standing in the middle of the street, arguing with that shady business man?”

Zangho looked up from his mug, and swallowed in fear.  Sensing his hesitation, Zakara stood up and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.

“I aid the ministry with situations, at times, but I don’t have the power to arrest, nor will I call the guards,” he gave the man a gentle squeeze on the shoulder, “you can trust me, I am here to help!”

With a shaky cough Zangho launched into his narration.    “Two seasons ago, I became very ill.  I couldn’t eat, sleep or drink.  My head felt like there was thousands of pounds of solid lead in it, my nose bled constantly, my throat was itchy and dry, and my headaches were so severe I sometimes just could not get out of bed; I had diarrhoea and nausea, it felt like the plague! I consulted a physician, who prescribed me some medication to take that would help with the illness.  But alas when I went to the herbalist, the medicine was too expensive.  The recent guild war between the Par Fan and Crimson Brotherhood has spiked prices up so high!  My income barely fed my family, and soon after my wife�"“

The elderly man gulped down some tea, suddenly overwhelmed with grief, “My wife, was killed in crossfire between the two guilds, and so I had to take leave from the plantation I worked on to take care of my daughter, Rivkah.”

Upon mention of his daughter his face brightened, “I am so proud of her, she wants to join the monastery and train there, you know.”

Zakara smiled, “Yes the Monastery is one of the best schools in all the three nations, my brother Xiun currently studies the art of the Assassin there, top of his class.”

“And you?” Zangho took a sip of tea, “Did you train there?”

Zakara leaned back in his seat, “No, I could not train there, the profession I chose to pursue was not offered there, I went to Elona to train as a Paragon under my older brother, Spear Marshall Mataias of the Sunspears.

“Anyways enough about me, you were explain your connection with Sunoku?”

“Ah yes, well you see, the medicine for my illness was too much money, so I resigned myself to an early retirement and bed rest, but Rivkah, bless her heart, decided to take it upon her own shoulders to help me.”

“She decided to go to Sunoku for a loan, she took a loan of 100 gold which would have been enough to pay for half a bottle of my medication, and she was going to use her school savings for the rest.”

Zakara raised an eyebrow, “Sounds like you have a wonderful daughter; you are a lucky father.”

Zangho sighed as he ran a hand through his gray hair, “She is amazing, I know, but stubborn, when I found out about the loan I told her to return it, and of course she refused so I took it upon myself to repay yet.”

“We met outside and I meant to repay him his one hundred we owed, but the hoodlum wanted two hundred and fifty, saying it was the loan fee, we can hardly afford to feed ourselves, how am I supposed to pay that back?!” Zangho’s voice shrilled. 

Zakara stood up, stretching, his back now cramped from sitting, “Finish your tea, then go home to your daughter, I will take care of this.” Zakara smiled.

Zangho looked up at the tall Paragon in shock, “You would help a complete stranger out?”

Zakara smiled, “No, I would help a citizen in need, As an Avatar of Glory, it is my duty.”  With a bow  Zakara left the room leaving Zangho to finish his tea and see himself out.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Moonlight was shining down from the rainy night sky, illuminating Zakara, as he stood on the balcony of his living quarters.  A raven was perched on the railing as Zakara tied a message to its claw. 

“Go, to the monastery and deliver this to Xiun!” Zakara shooed away the bird urgently.  Turning back he stepped into his house.  Running his hands through his wavy brown hair, Zakara surveyed himself though green eyes.  His skin tone was a little darker than his brothers, due to his days spent in Elona.  He had an elegant face that most would consider handsome.  With a sigh he ran a finger across the scar on his right arm.  He had received it, from a captain of the Crimson Brotherhood, and had yet to repay his debt.  Walking across the room, he threw aside a large curtain, to reveal large oaken doors.  Opening the doors revealed an armoury even the richest Princes of Vabbi would envy.  Elegant weapons from the Tengu wars lined the walls alongside the harsh weapons of the undead, mursaat weapons from the days of the White Mantle’s rise to power hung alongside the Cahrrslayer weapons from the war against the charr.  Scattered across the floor were shields from the Domain of Anguish themselves.  Armor from all corners of the world was stacked in neat piles to one side.  But the most impressive was a suit of armor and weapons in the middle of the room.  The suit emanated power, death and destruction.  The tunic was black, with a heavy silver breastplate, and vambraces.  Pulling on the black tunic, Zakara fastened the heavy metal pieces to his torso, shins and arms and threw on the large black cape. He then picked up the helm.  This was the most impressive and awe inspiring piece of equipment.  A dark black hood, with the front piece covered in armor, fashioned into a long face of a skull, a wicked grin fixed to its face two wicked horns protruded from the crown of the helm, giving Zakara the appearance of the devil itself.  His spear too, was impressive.  A large black shaft was fixed to what looked like a burning stone of lava.  The tip seemed to be made of liquid flame and seemed to be moving in different patterns.  Strapping his shield and spear to his back, Zakara pulled on his helm and walked downstairs, to enter the cold rainy night.  Zakara was on the hunt. 

 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

 

Sweat poured down Mataias’ forehead, the salty perspiration stinging his eyes.  With a heave he buried the blade of his scythe into the chest of the oncoming corsair.  Taking a step back he spun the scythe above his head before bringing it down, slicing another enemy from sternum to naval.   

 

The pirate attack had come as a surprise to the protectors of the island.  The Cry of the Phoenix guild had not anticipated such a bold move by the cowardly corsairs.  But when the sunrise came, it had risen to the scene of the two pirate ships landing on the southern and eastern sides of the island. 

The pirates raided the village sending the village into a state of pandemonium.  The Lord of the island, Lord Larathur had called his men to defend the city, and its guests.

 

Mataias surveyed the burning village; villagers were running towards the Keep situated on the mountains.  His sunspear warriors were in hand to hand combat with the raiding pirates.  All of a sudden a ball of fire blasted over the fighting warriors and crashed into a nearby cabin.  He heard screams coming from inside. 

Mataias turned to the three warriors closest and gestured for them to come along with him.  He started to run towards the burning cabin.  A harsh growl exploded from his throat as a group of corsairs tried blocking his way.  He spun around his scythe starting its deadly killing arc.  His blade ripped through the gut of the first pirate.  Dropping to one knee, Mataias spun around, his scythe severing through leg, bone, muscle and tendons of the remaining enemies.  The group of pirates fell to the ground, screaming in agony as they watched their blood gradually flow out. 

 

Mataias left the convulsing men on the ground for the three warriors behind him.  He ran towards the cabin, afraid he might have been too late.  He kicked in the wooden door and ducked into the cabin.  The air, black with smoke, stung his eyes and he fell into a coughing fit. 

 

“Where are you?” Mataias wheezed as he wiped the tears out of his stinging eyes.  The cabin was small, the eating, cooking and sleeping area all in the same room.  Mataias frantically searched the hut when no answer came. 

 

He quickly checked the living area, the only other room in the cabin.  On the floor lay two young children, about the age of four.  They looked to be twins.  Mataias hurriedly picked them up in his thick arms and rushed out of the hut.  He deposited the two children into the waiting arms of the warriors outside. 

“Take them up to the Guild Hall and make sure they get proper attention.”  He gasped.

The warrior nodded and rushed off, cradling the fragile packages in his arms with a gentleness that seemed out of place from the hulking, armor laden warrior. 

 

Turning to the other two warriors, Mataias sighed.

“Our priority needs to be the villagers, get the men to round them up and escort them back to the Guild Hall.”

“Right away, General!”

 

Mataias ran a tired hand through his short beard, he did not know why the corsairs had attacked the village, but he would make sure they paid for their grave mistake. Attacking guilds allied to his was an insult to the pride of his house, and pride was everything to the SunSpear General. 

 

He hefted his scythe as he headed in the direction of the Guild Hall, a plan forming inside his head to rid the island of the pirates.



© 2014 badgerton


Author's Note

badgerton
I see that my last couple chapters have had some views, Please leave a review constructive, positive or even negative! Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

273 Views
Added on March 13, 2014
Last Updated on March 13, 2014
Tags: guild, wars, dervish, paragon, love, fantasy, magic, warrior, fight, pirates, corsair, glory, children, fire


Author

badgerton
badgerton

Kitchener-Waterloo, Canada



About
I am a PR student who loves reading and day dreams a bunch. This is my attempt to put my daydreams on paper (so to speak) I have many different stories I am writing but my main focus here will be "T.. more..

Writing