Callow, Shallow Youth

Callow, Shallow Youth

A Poem by Elizabeth

Heedless naivety nourishes downward spiraling degeneration
As insecurity sparks among the feeble-minded sheep,
Individual sense of self disappears.
The media hysteria emerges, rushing through
As tragic sufferings, fueling vehement insanity.
Banal music tempos swim with deafening control
In between the smoke, ecstasy, and syringes.
No longer alive, contrived hallucinations eat at emptied souls.

© 2010 Elizabeth


Author's Note

Elizabeth
The youth of each generation always pushes the moral codes of society. But some groups become so degenerated that it is honestly disgusting. Granted, people complained about the youth of the 1920's too and now their rebellion seems rather mundane. Yet at some point, a line must be drawn; I, for one, am tired of mixing with the trash of my age-group.
And, of course, it is my job to exaggerate the negativity of the situation as per-usual :p

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh I got to give you a big hell yeah for this piece... raw and gritty emotions and I for one totally agree... for me groups are bout control and everyone doing the same thing because they are told that is what is acceptable... just like everyone who listens to the media and what is and isn't... I raise a fist in celebration of this poem.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

...and weirdly those moral codes are not even dictated by nature really. I wonder where those codes came from other than religion and males..codes written to specification to further a purpose or desire, probably sexual in nature...no...always sexual in nature even if you have to fish about a bit for it. So what would happen if the moral codes were written just opposite of what we think is good behavior today...would it swing back the other way? This brings up a lot of good questions with very few answers nice write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow! Are you sure you're sixteen? This is an incredibly crafted piece. A wonderful eye you have on the decline of humanity. Brilliant. Two hooves up for you. Kudos.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great piece, though I have to say- the mass of adjectives detracted from the poem. While it adds to it in anger and the unjust part of it, reading it is difficult, keeping track of it all becomes hard as the flow is bumpy. Otherwise, I thought this was excellent. Nice job. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


very deep and insightful piece. nice work, great job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The wording of this piece is harsh and vivid; giving an impression of vultures picking fastidiously at the bones of a carcass. To me, this concise verse is a clinical summary of the vacuous youth culture of the present generation. It isn't -as many would have you believe- a question of nostalgia for the 'good old days' or statements like 'it's always been like this' ...the sophistry which comes naturally with the apathetic attitude which has bred from the current media-run society we live in. It is far more significant a difference in today's attitude and culture than can be 'fobbed-off' with dismissive claims of sentences beginning with "Oh, well..." and shrugs of careless disinterest - no one bothering to look at a bigger picture of the ultimate effects that what is happening now will have on the future, nor the effects it is actually having NOW...
Everything and more is suggested by the words of this poem, and more beyond.

"No longer alive, contrived hallucinations eat at emptied souls"

...What does today's youth have to rebel against, what does it really have to say..? Does it care any more...? It did once. That was its prerogative.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful display of degeneration. I adore the words you use, "feeble-minded sheep", "fueling vehement insanity", and "contrived hallucinations eat at emptied souls" is my favorite part. Your writing is so explicit and upfront, a great slap in the face with an extra dose of nihilism and negativity. The imagery is so dark, honestly exaggerating what should be exaggerated because it's only a matter of time until these things exemplify themselves. Subjects like this makes me glad that I've only one month left to no longer be a teenager of this world. I was not consumed by social norms, the media and peer-pressure that rots at your empty soul. And it's teenagers like you that give me hope that there will be people to stand up and give people the wake up call they so desperately need. And please do it bluntly, you're so good at the blunt. Well done on this poem m'dear.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh I got to give you a big hell yeah for this piece... raw and gritty emotions and I for one totally agree... for me groups are bout control and everyone doing the same thing because they are told that is what is acceptable... just like everyone who listens to the media and what is and isn't... I raise a fist in celebration of this poem.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 4, 2010
Last Updated on June 4, 2010

Author

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Chicago, IL



About
Hello. ^_^ I'm 16 years old, but don't let that number fool you, I'm quite mature. I don't really know what to put here. Most of the time I just feel empty and frustrated. I'm a nihilist/athe.. more..

Writing
Sensation Sensation

A Poem by Elizabeth


Promise Promise

A Poem by Elizabeth



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..