An Adventure

An Adventure

A Story by B.A. Radiant
"

Inspired by a friend's quote: “I remember being a kid and running so fast it felt like my legs were going to fall off. But I wasn’t worried because I knew I could fly.” Dei.C.

"






The young girl walked barefoot down the steps of her home to the graveled driveway and headed for the fields and woods that made up her “backyard”. The light breeze blew strands of her long, mahogany colored hair into her eyes. Shoving the hair away with small hands, the girl looked around trying to decide where today’s adventure would take her. There were fields of long grass, waving as if in invitation for her to dance through them and join in on their mischievous enterprises. To her left were the woods that provided shade from the hot, summer sun and whispers from the tops of trees promising vast rewards within the depths of their existence. A stream trickled happily nearby with new tadpoles swimming in droves to who knows where, oblivious on their way to their own life adventures.


Up above there were cottony puffs of complacent clouds scattered across the azure sky. They would periodically dim the sun’s rays and then slowly move on. Two crows fly high overhead, dipping and diving around each other before seeking refuge in a tree where they call out relentlessly to anyone who may not belong near their nest. There are mountains far off in the distance who clutch desperately to the last bit of snow that tips their jagged peaks. The world smells of green and dirt that is heated by the sun, and sounds of bugs and the wind as it winds through it all.


The girl feels a smile tilt the corners of her mouth upward. Shoving her hair out of her eyes once again, she eyes the path that goes into the woods. A path well worn by her and her friends in their search for pirate treasure, ripe berries and supplies for forts that absolutely must be built. Her heart begins to beat faster as the feeling, the need rises up so strong that her legs begin to itch and muscles flex. Feet toughened by running barefoot most of the year begin to scoot forward in the gravel as her body leans forward in barely restrained anticipation.


As if a shot went off, she is suddenly in motion. The land around her begins to speed by as she runs faster and faster. Soon the woods surround her body that has become nearly a blur. The two crows fly overhead, watching this small human go beyond what her body knew was possible. In her mind, in her heart and ultimately her spirit, she is able to explore everything. Take on all of the adventure through this race with life and time. Her speed picks up more and she is headed for the cliff where the world falls away forever. Faster and faster until her legs can no longer meet the needs of what her spirit is asking. But then, who needs legs anymore? As her spirit emerges from the cage of her body to form wings, she bursts through the trees and without stopping, leaps off the cliff up, up, up into that azure sky. Now this, is an adventure!




© 2017 B.A. Radiant


Author's Note

B.A. Radiant
What do you think of descriptive word use?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I almost drowned in the sea of description... But if one could drown from an influx of leaping currents... I currently feel as if my mind blurs to speeds unattainable by any but the spirit... Loved this, keep running... Inspiringly penned...

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 29, 2017
Last Updated on June 2, 2017
Tags: Running, flying

Author

B.A. Radiant
B.A. Radiant

WA



About
I love romance. Whether it's historical, Sci-Fi fantasy, paranormal, G-rated, X-rated, sweet and calm, crazy and chaotic, it doesn't matter. A good romance is a good romance. I have stories in my head.. more..

Writing