Fearsome Warrior

Fearsome Warrior

A Poem by BLBrown
"

I saw many wounded warriors the day I visited Walter Reed National Medical Center on the outskirts of Washington D.C. What I saw in these men, so badly injured, inspired me to write this poem.

"

He came around the corner, this wounded warrior, this child of God.

With hard eyes, like marble, he was immersed in his own combat, fighting through another mending day.

 

Making his way to yet more visits, missing limbs, missing smiles, he moved along the granite path of this home of the hurt.

And he had readied himself for sweaty toil to heal even more of his broken body, his broken heart.

 

There was nothing left of his left, no leg, no arm, just clothing pinned up to secure what remained. 

His jaw clenched tight, like a fist, he shown with commitment to defeating this new enemy.

 

Slamming his powerful right foot on the floor, he balanced and rode the hell out of his wheeled and willful chariot.

With superhuman strength, he moved his right arm in a stunningly rapid, spinning motion, ever forward.

 

And like David, you could see that he was both challenging and accepting of his fate, of that which had brought him here.

Battling each day, and conquering his own Goliath, with his slingshot of steely resolve.


As he moved away, all guts, brawn, and determination, no doubt he would find his way through this new life.

And what remained in his wake that day was not pity, but respect, awe and the scent of bravery and greatness in the air.

 

Does he understand that his supreme sacrifices are accepted, with compassion, by a grateful nation?  

Does he know how untold millions care and wish so much for him, his family and his world?

 

He left around another corner, this fearsome warrior, this man of God.


Copywrite©2012

All rights reserved.

Barbara L. Brown

© 2012 BLBrown


Author's Note

BLBrown
I was very moved by seeing so many wounded warriors that day, this one individual, he was on another plane altogether. Hopefully I was able to convey the emotion and power of this person. I was very humbled in his presence.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was a really unique piece, very different. I've never read anything quite like it and I'm glad of that. It was something new to calm my needy poetry senses. I thought that your story behind the poem was quite touching too. Well done and good luck in the contest.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This was a really unique piece, very different. I've never read anything quite like it and I'm glad of that. It was something new to calm my needy poetry senses. I thought that your story behind the poem was quite touching too. Well done and good luck in the contest.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dear BLBrown,

This is exceptional writing. The subject moving, the delivery powerful, the English easy, exact, unmarred by error or clumsiness. Congratulations on an exceptional write.

This is one of the finest pieces I've read on WritersCafe. I give it a rating of 98 out of 100. My friends know that I have never given higher. A 100% rating is not achievable since no poem is perfect and is always in flux. And I have never seen, though I seek, a poem of 99 rating. That would be a blinding piece. Yours has be squinting badly with tears from its brilliance. You are in the company of maybe a dozen among the many hundreds if not thousands of poems I've read on WC.

Greatly enjoyed. Highest marks.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 20, 2012
Last Updated on July 22, 2012
Tags: fighter, wounded warrior, war, determination

Author

BLBrown
BLBrown

VA



About
Hello, my name is Barbara. Writing is my calling in life. It took me awhile but I've finally answered. I will write anything, poetry, ditties, short stories, and am currently also working on a .. more..

Writing
Crescendo Crescendo

A Poem by BLBrown