The Far Side of Ever

The Far Side of Ever

A Poem by BLBrown
"

Inspired by prose written by John Donne, 1624. See Author's Notes for more details.

"

Death shapes the bell, where life rises from birth, plateaus, and is drawn down with age.


Death comes in the curving up for those too soon, for those who die young.

'Tis of the greatest tragedies in life to loose a child too soon.


Death comes in the peaking of here to there, for those in the midst of life.

'Tis such sadness to see those struck down in their very prime.


Death comes in the turning down of the far side, for those aged and weary.

'Tis such loss to outlive friends until none are left to keep company.



Death shapes the bell, stealing from the lofty arc of yesterday, today and ever after, all diminished with time.



And I with this disease, pray my death be on that far side, that far side of ever…


   ... and when my time has come, when the bell rings, dear God, let it ring loud...


   ... and make them stop and listen, dear God, lest they forget...


   ... for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for me!



©2012 Barbara Brown

All rights reserved

© 2012 BLBrown


Author's Note

BLBrown
I was inspired to write this poem out of desperation, shortly after being diagnosed with high risk Leukemia.

Ernest Hemmingway actually took the title of his book, "For Whom the Bell Tolls" from the following meditation, also known as "No Man is an Island":

by John Donne, 1624
Meditation 17
Devotions upon Emergent Occasions

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee..."

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

First, you have a great culture and knowledge, sir :)
Enjoyed what you tried to do, the feelings you tried to show us, everyone wants to be remembered, that's in the nature of the mankind,
the continuous metaphors bringing death and life to a visual, even "architectural" plane are interesting and well used in the poem.
Very well done :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

BLBrown

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much. I appreciate your observations and understanding of what I was trying to say. It i.. read more



Reviews

First, you have a great culture and knowledge, sir :)
Enjoyed what you tried to do, the feelings you tried to show us, everyone wants to be remembered, that's in the nature of the mankind,
the continuous metaphors bringing death and life to a visual, even "architectural" plane are interesting and well used in the poem.
Very well done :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

BLBrown

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much. I appreciate your observations and understanding of what I was trying to say. It i.. read more
Amazing.. Beautiful! I love this!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Yes I am reading that book at the moment and can really relate to what you are saying, thats one hell of a big bell by the way! I love your line 'Death shapes the bell' it makes your poem really profound and yet so understated at the same time, I find that contrast in the book also its calm and also very edgy, being a novel set in wartime

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is emotional, deep, exquisite, meaningful and yet powerful!
I specially like the ending.
Thanks for sharing..Keep it up :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


Beautiful writing! I love the history and the depth of meaning that has turned this into a very unique poem!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Exquisite, Barbara. You never cease to amaze me with your talent and your interests. All the topics that you weave into your words on the page. History and art woven with your own special touch. Your last stanza is perfect!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a beautiful poem. Your words not only speak volumes, but sing them loud and clear. I love the way you incorporated "No Man is an Island"... I love that passage, and I think it adds another layer of meaning to your poem.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 10, 2012
Last Updated on August 17, 2012
Tags: death, dying, bell, ring, toll

Author

BLBrown
BLBrown

VA



About
Hello, my name is Barbara. Writing is my calling in life. It took me awhile but I've finally answered. I will write anything, poetry, ditties, short stories, and am currently also working on a .. more..

Writing
Crescendo Crescendo

A Poem by BLBrown



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Hey, Charlotte Hey, Charlotte

A Poem by devon