Home of the Fallen

Home of the Fallen

A Poem by BLBrown
"

This poem is about Arlington National Cemetery located outside of Washington, D.C. It is where the Nation's fallen warriors are laid to rest. I was inspired to write this by my dear friend Sirrah.

"

There is a hallowed silence amidst this landscape of stone and wood,

where few echoes resound among warriors who, for their nation, stood.

 

‘Tis bittersweet pasture of ancient trees, and those blessed, now gone,

where felled Presidents and The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier belong.

 

Not the weeping of the wind or the cries of their lost loves, forlorn,

will breach that sweeping silence, as deep sorrow ever rules the morn.

 

And ‘tis not the countless rows of stone this place of honor hosts,

but that unheard wail in eve, which tears at the hardened heart the most.



Copywrite©2012

All rights reserved.

Barbara L. Brown

© 2012 BLBrown


Author's Note

BLBrown
I want to expressly thank my friend Sirrah who inspired this piece. Her poem, "Voice in the Wood," captures the silence I have tried to relay in this poem. Thank you dear Sirrah.

Every American should visit Arlington. The vastness of the headstones is enough to bring the brightest optimist to tears. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Memorial Day ceremonies are indescribable. Here the fallen are honored by a grateful nation.

There is a place within Arlington called, "Section 60," where rest the many warriors who have lost their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan. Every American should see this, and bow their heads to honor them.

I am from a military family and have a nephew deployed as a pilot in Afghanistan and a brother-in-law who is a contractor and works in security in several areas of the Middle East.

Times are tough. But I will never forget seeing a man in a dark blue suit jump from the South Tower on 9/11 to remember why we are there. How bad things must have been for him that jumping to his death was the choice he was forced to make in those final moments of a life cut short.

But, I also look at the changing landscape of our world today, at all of our losses the cost of war, and the many internal turmoils in the Middle East, to be reminded that our time in that land must come to an end.

For more information about Arlington National Cemetery, please visit:
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/

Poem Awards:

Poetry Off the Top of Your Head Contest - 1st Place

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very beautiful, thank you for showing us your poem :)
I'm not american but I also think we should respect people that honour their countries. Plus US is a beautiful country that gave much to the world,
I remember my mum telling me about the American civil war and the slavery being outlawed as if she were talking about Brazilian history (we're Brazilians), both my mum and I appreciate a lot US for this, in Brazil we needed much more time to get rid of slavery.
Great job =D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

BLBrown

11 Years Ago

Many thanks for your kind review and words about my country. I'm very proud to be an American despi.. read more



Reviews

Amazing.. Beautiful! I love this!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very beautiful, thank you for showing us your poem :)
I'm not american but I also think we should respect people that honour their countries. Plus US is a beautiful country that gave much to the world,
I remember my mum telling me about the American civil war and the slavery being outlawed as if she were talking about Brazilian history (we're Brazilians), both my mum and I appreciate a lot US for this, in Brazil we needed much more time to get rid of slavery.
Great job =D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

BLBrown

11 Years Ago

Many thanks for your kind review and words about my country. I'm very proud to be an American despi.. read more
This was a gorgeously touching tribute to all of the brave men and women who have given their lives as a sacrifice to their country. Outstanding!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Yes very sad to the men that gave their life's

Posted 11 Years Ago


Barbara, you've created such a wonderful tribute to our fallen and to the area in which they are laid to rest. To stand within Arlington is such an experience, few words can describe the feelings within each of us as we take in the surroundings, and the mood that is felt by all within that sacred space.

The last stanza you added is perfect. Lovely writing.


Posted 11 Years Ago


Beautiful remembrance of a sacred place. It is the silence that often speaks to us the loudest in these places. It's that sometimes overwhelming sense of memory and lives cut to short. Lovely poem!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 26, 2012
Last Updated on July 22, 2012
Tags: Arlington, death, military

Author

BLBrown
BLBrown

VA



About
Hello, my name is Barbara. Writing is my calling in life. It took me awhile but I've finally answered. I will write anything, poetry, ditties, short stories, and am currently also working on a .. more..

Writing
Crescendo Crescendo

A Poem by BLBrown



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Angel Angel

A Poem by Jack...


Thoughts Thoughts

A Poem by Tate Morgan