8 hours or more for the D & D

8 hours or more for the D & D

A Poem by Bear
"

oh, just something I penned last night after listening to a friend's complaints about her co-worker.

"

Why am I so exhausted each night after

working my shift at the Duke and Duchess Shoppe?

Oh, there's two working but, it often feels as if I

work on my own even though there are two in store,

for eight hours or more.

   I get paid by the hour to run register; selling beer, cigs and food

   along with keeping watch for fuel drive-offs due to the fluctuating fuel prices.

   The rumors were flying of the fuel prices to erupt high today and we were out

   of regular fuel which added to the misery.  Telling customers that were rushing to fill-up

   during their lunch breaks that we were out of regular but, the mid-grade was the same 

   price as regular just made things move all the slower and become more stressful. 

I'd much rather be home, sitting in a comfortable chair with my feet up,

a beer in one hand and lit cigarette in the other so, I might ease away the 

stress of yet another "work a day away" for Englefield Oil.

Sure, it's a job but, what should I have to baby-sit my co-worker along the way?

   I shouldn't have to watch and listen to his grumbling tantrums about last night's events.

   It's his life to live not mine, and though I've stuck up for him in the past, I'm at the end

   of my rope dealing with his adolenscent tantrums.  I've been warning him that he needs to

   get his priorities straight and quick or, he'll be out of a job once again with little hope of

   landing another since if he loses this job he'll have been "fired from the Duke Station"

   which is not a good sign for future employers.

Clunking him in the head has crossed my mind but, it looks like only an intervention

stands the chance of setting him straight and he's not my kid, just my co-worker and the

truth is he has to be the one to change his ways or learn his life lesson the hard way.

I just want to come in and do my job as trained to do and baby-sitting a so-called adult

was not in my contract and truthfully, I don't get paid enough to do both!

   If only...

               someone would grow up and take on his responsibilites;

   then I could come in and do my job and not be so stressed and exhausted

   each day spent working with him...

            ...if only,

                        I didn't have to return

                        again tomorrow, to face another

                        work a day away for the Duke and Duchess.

 

  

 

© 2008 Bear


Author's Note

 Bear
showed this to whom I wrote if of this evening; she was amazed that her "emotions" were so easily read and that I captured them upon the page. Yeah, she liked it well enough to say she'd probably share it with the manager manana.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

We've all been there. Just doing out bit and yet the one next to us is pre-occupied with some nonsense. You capture the frustrations of an ordinary decent person caught in the dilemma of not quiet knowing what to do, too decent to hit the kid yet suffering real anguish at the unfairness of it all. Probably about 20,000,000 Americans wld share these exact feelings. Well done. Great title by the way.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You did captured this frustration of this really well! Nicely done!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

We've all been there. Just doing out bit and yet the one next to us is pre-occupied with some nonsense. You capture the frustrations of an ordinary decent person caught in the dilemma of not quiet knowing what to do, too decent to hit the kid yet suffering real anguish at the unfairness of it all. Probably about 20,000,000 Americans wld share these exact feelings. Well done. Great title by the way.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The day to day tedium of dealing with our own issues and yet having to take on the woe's of our fellow man. Especially, when the adult is just an overgrown, immature child/adult who still see's the world through high school shades. You captured the frustration, annoyance and the wish that we sould just get in our cars and drive until the run out of gas and then start over. Good job.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You did capture the frustration one feels at work. I worked behind a desk, but I can still relate to this being on your feet, dealing with customers complaining and a co-worker who is slacking.

You did a very good visual disaplay of words with this one.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a wonderful example of journal style poetry. I love the be able to rant and vent and get it all off my chest then look at the page and shake my head in amazement at what I 'got out'....really enjoyed reading this!
Cheers,lea

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

God, I can feel this so real...what a riveting write of a conveyer belt life (same old same old.. I so need to get out of my own stagnation..) so powerful this is~...it seems so slow and yet flies by so fast...you captured it so well!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes. Three years ago, I became seriously and chronically ill. I manage the illness, I have a full and interesting life and am in control of most things including my feelings. Why then do so many people want to talk about my illness. Why do conversations drift back to it. Why is the first question so often "How are you" with a pregnant pause for the tale of woe. I sometimes think people feed on my discomfort, live their pseudo illnesses through my pain, and practice home medicine by diagnosing me, studying which drug has been found to cause what dire, life threatening killer complaint, then telling me about it.
Well, like you, that's my 'get it off my chest' bit! Now what's the next step. Person enters room, I speak first. "D'you know, I feel great today - I''ll shoot the first one to mention illness, mine or his." Laughs all round and a suggestion of reaching for a gun the moment the subject looks likely to crop up.
I think in your case you have to beard the lion (cub) in his den and take the line " I feel great today. Let's see how long we can stay cheerful. First one to moan gets a kick up the ****. It may work.

Sequel. Oh dear, I feel a bit down today. No-one seems to care - they never ask how I am. Oh well - you can't have it both ways.
Funny sort of literary review this, isn't it?
John.

Posted 15 Years Ago


IF ONLY..great poem nontheless - shows the struggle so well to make just a little to eek out an existence in this economy - no matter our income -thank you.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this! God, how I have felt this way soooooo many nights after slaving all day for "the man"! LOL!!!
She is very lucky to have a friend in you; someone who took the time, and effort to put her venting, and emotions into words for people like myself that absolutely relate. I think she should frame this! I know, sounds goofy but just a random thought.. ......... . ... ..................... ! ! Take care~~~
/

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

487 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 13, 2008
Last Updated on May 14, 2008

Author

 Bear
Bear

Newark, OH



About
Born on April Fool's Day and I'm left handed to boot. Enjoy the outdoors, feed the birds and squirrels, and really enjoy moon gazing on clear nights and even on cloudy nights I love seeing the moon m.. more..

Writing
BIG WHEEL BIG WHEEL

A Poem by Bear



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain