Forget Me Not

Forget Me Not

A Story by Bebianna_L
"

A short story that I had written back in year 2012.

"
Another winter came, snow covered everything with a blanket of white. It made even the ugliest world seem like a magical land. The snow reminded me of that certain someone that is as pure as it. With her emerald green eyes that seems to see through your facade no matter how you try to hide it. That someone that is no longer here.
She is smaller in size than those of her age but a heart that is bigger than the world. With green eyes that sparkle with mischief and hazel brown hair that seems to gleam in the sun. She is like a fire that attracts moths, and like a sister that everyone cannot help but want to protect. She has a happy-go-lucky personality. Never once could you see a frown on her brows or a scorn on her face. You can always see her helping those in need. She never fail to amaze me. " Quintina, why do you always put yourself in trouble and help those around you? " is what I would always ask her. " Because it makes me happy when I am helping them. " She would always answer with a smile on her face.
How we met was an accident but how we came to become friends, that is a mystery. She is a model student and I on the other hand am a re-known delinquent of our school. The person I am today is because she pulled me out of my abyss. It was when I was involved in a gang fight, I remembered that my body was very battered after the fight, a deep gash on my brow, my left eye swollen, few broken ribs and bruises all over my body. She found me leaning against the alley wall and decided to treat my wounds without thinking twice. Maybe it was her eyes that beckons me or her willingness to help a delinquent, I do not know but I was attracted to her in that instant. My everyday life in school was much better than before with her by my side. My once bleak life is now filled with meaning. With Quintina's help I was able to make new friends, friends that do not judge me for the person I was before. My life is now filled with happiness and laughter, which made it so much more bearable. It was as if I was reborn. Before Quintina entered my life, I have this dark aura surrounding me, but now that aura is filled with all the colours you could imagine.
As months passed, the things that she does amazes me even more. Helping teachers with their work, students with personal problems, stray animals that desperately needed shelter. The urge to befriend her always surfaces in my mind, but how can I, a delinquent befriend her, a model student. Even though that was what I thought, I still went on and befriend her. My first thought was that she would not turn me down without a second thought, but the opposite happened, " Aren't we already friends? " was what she said. In that instant I was totally dumbfounded. For the first time in the eighteen years of my life, I finally smiled.
As they say good things never last. It was a Sunday when that fated accident too her away from this world, and away from me. We went to the mall to get some gifts for her little brother who will be turning four next Thursday. " Tina, wait for me here. I forgot to buy something. It will only take a while. " Wanting to buy her something to repay her for her kindness I re-entered the mall. After purchasing the hair-clip that she had admired for quite some time I headed back to Quintina. The first thing I heard upon stepping out of the mall was the screeching of car brakes and an ear splitting bang. I saw a group of people surrounding something or someone. My guts told me to turn around and walk away, do not head there. I should have followed it but I still went there. While approaching the scene I passed by a group of women huddled together while whispering, " Poor girl, er family would be devastated for her loss. " Maybe it was the word 'girl' or the fact that Quintina was not at the spot where we parted, my slow steady stride broke into a run.
A mingled body with blood oozing from her head, legs at a weird angle and skin paled due to the lack of blood. Just at the sight of her body, my legs crumpled beneath me, and tears streamed down my cheeks uncontrollably. Police reported to her family later that day saying that her death was due to a bag-snatching act. She fell onto the road when her bag was snatched, while getting up the driver whom was not able to hit the brakes in time ended up running over her.
Weeks passed, I still wake up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat and screaming out for her. Once again my life was plunged into darkness. Drowned in my guilt and always blaming myself for leaving her alone, I sometimes even wished that I was the one who died instead of her. Her parents never once blamed me for her death but instead welcomed me with open arms to mourn together.
Three years had passed after her death, yet I still grieve for her. I continued with my life my by doing the things she had always done for others. People said that time would heal all wounds, but I would never be able to heal mine and erase all my memories of her. She was deeply etched into my mind and soul, especially her green, smiling eyes, thus impossible for me to forget about her as long as my heart keeps beating... ... 

© 2015 Bebianna_L


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on October 24, 2015
Last Updated on October 26, 2015

Author

Bebianna_L
Bebianna_L

Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia



About
From a small town at North Borneo a.k.a Sabah. Re-embracing my passion for writing. Instagram : @writingfromthesoul more..

Writing
New Chapter New Chapter

A Story by Bebianna_L


Goodbye Goodbye

A Story by Bebianna_L