Grief Monster

Grief Monster

A Poem by Brenda Sue

Just some thoughts from me on this cold morning.
In this place that we spent our last days together.
Spring will bring his birthday and the sadiversary with Winter.
The grief monster hit like a ton of bricks, but I persevered.
Pleasant surprises in the midst of stuff that I didn't know that he had kept appeared,
and I yelled more than once about the stupid things that he did keep
that were trash or what I perceived as trash and the kind.
"One man's trash is another man's treasure" kept coming to mind.

As I sat in the house, on the floor, on this cold morning,
I realized that we had moved into our first home hoping and dreaming.
Now I was cleaning that same home, with a glimmer of hope for the future.
It waxes and wanes, but there is hope, just a sliver, but hope will linger.
The hope that my children will grow up to honor their dad, amen.
The hope that someday I might feel brave enough to try to love again.
There is also a sadness that won't ever be erased from my heart.
Sad that I don't get one more kiss, one more hug, one more day with my love.

As I face this cold morning in the home where he died,
I can not comprehend he is no longer by my side.
I realize that the grief monster has bitten and then hidden,
so that I cannot conquer him head-on, once and for all.
Grief is a silent conquerer, who sneaks up on you in the night
and shakes your soul, then tries to consume you before the light.
I realize that I am slowly fighting back at this monster and winning.
I hope someone finds encouragement in my ramblings this cold morning.

© 2008 Brenda Sue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The grief monster...been there...know the feeling three times over but never a spouse. I know the intensity is not the same...Well, my mother's suicide was pretty intense since it was sudden, but I just want you to know I understand, even if in just some small way. Hang in there Brenda. Flow with it. The days will get brighter. (((Hugs))) to you, my friend! Carole

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I was attracted by the mere name. Great choice! I really liked your flow and how you described the little memory that stays physically with you (about the trash). I also love how its not so broad about one of the cliches like "my rollercoaster of emotions since he/she died", you just pick up on one random day's train of thought. One thing though is because there is a mystery and a shadow to this poem I would suggest to crop out the blatant, too-obvious word "died" because for me it chops up the grace.
But overall, really good work :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


very well written..It's happened to me, but I've found another..I hope you do too..good luck,besides that,amazing poem,you are a very talented writer

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

brenda, this is heartwrenching, poetically enhanced to portray a sense of suffering, feeling the chill of winter's embrace, like memories that effect the heart, as to reflect days of grey, your words have an amazing way of touching the soul, defined with clarity, sincerity, endearment, revealing the meaning where the reader also experiences the turmoiling suffering, beautifully visualized, artfully percieved, eloquently penned with love overshadowing sadness

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is some of your stronger writing and I believe its because you're just letting your words and emotions flow (for the most part) without rhyming or meter. Did you mean this "sadiversary" or sad anniversary? Just curious. Quite powerfully and honestly written..well done. :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

There is also a sadness that won't ever be erased from my heart.
Sad that I don't get one more kiss, one more hug, one more day with my love...

Grief is a silent conquerer, who sneaks up on you in the night...

Indeed it is...
I really don't think that someone who has never lost a loved could quite "get" that last line. I know that feeling well.

I am sorry for your loss.



Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

beautifully put.Grief is a process which takes time,exactly as much time as you need to re engage with life and living.

Love does not die with the bodt but goes on eternally I believe we meet and remmett kindred souls in life after life although we may play different roles

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

cool story. I love monsters but this one is different.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Wonderful write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Beautiful. I had tears in my eyes by the end.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I am so sorry about your loss. My sincere sympathies. I loved your poem. I love the way you call grief a monster, because it truly is. Bitten and hidden, how well put! and shakes your soul, exactly right! KUDOSSSS!! Beautifully written! Brought a tear to my eye as I recall my own griefs. I am also glad to hear the thread of hope throughout. Hey, I see you are a Pisces too! I'm a March 14 baby, born in '56. Pisceans are sometimes referred to as the poets of the zodiac, don't ya know!

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

538 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2008

Author

Brenda Sue
Brenda Sue

Chatsworth, GA



About
Rose Glitter Graphics Everyone has there own beliefs about what Heaven is, whether religiously, spiritually or just musically! (Led Zeppelin) The one thing I found in common with each person though .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sweet Release Sweet Release

A Poem by Carole