the calling

the calling

A Story by sette

After two decades in a private school, I transferred to a public school. A big change and step in my life I could describe. I have been used to smart children with unlimited resources for learning particularly a strong wi-fi connection, has all the money to spare for learning requirements and the like. Culture shock is more like an apt description of my first day in public school. I was trying to be strong for the children, I didn’t know how to describe the way their uniforms were not ironed, some were wearing torn or almost torn shoes, while the ethnic children were not even wearing slippers since they consider slippers as a luxury. In a class of 45, only two has textbooks while others don’t even have notebooks or even papers to write on. There was no chalk to be used and even no eraser. I have to use a wet rag to erase the blackboard. I have eight classes from morning until afternoon with a capacity of 45 students in each class. I have six non-readers and I have six special children, four of which are autistic while two are suffering from trauma due to vehicular accident. I have seven ethnic people who walk barefoot. Generally the classes are arranged in a homogenous way, I handle the gifted class and I also handle the slowest class.

 

     I have been praying for one year and a half to know if transferring to this school is my calling. I was used to bright students, they can pay their tuition fees and other miscellaneous ones. This time, everything is different, I often encounter students who skip lunch because of no money. Since the school is situated in a mountain barangay, transportation is quite costly so every morning I see students walking from their houses. Water is another luxury so there is hygiene problems among the students especially those who walk in barefoot. Food is a luxury to consider and books are another problem.

 

     After a month upon reflecting and evaluating, I found peace which I did not find in private schools. I know the students need me and I love the feeling of being needed. My subject is social studies in Grade 7 and 8 but I am teaching them about good health, good food and love for books. I know that Writers’ Café has been more than a hobby to me, it has been an avenue of friendship, of care and concern. I want the students to have books to read since some are still non-readers. Books in my country are considered to be additional expenses, the government does not include it in the budget. We cannot afford digital e-books because we don’t have wi-fi connection in school. I want to instill the love of reading towards the students, if you have books you would like to donate, reading or reference books, they are greatly appreciated. Thank You.

© 2018 sette


Author's Note

sette
sorry if this story is quite dramatic but then this is what reality is

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, naku magandang experience nga iyan ibinahagi mo. Pasensiya na wala lang ako pangdonate ng books pero nakakatuwang isipin na iyong willingness mo makatulong sa mga batang walang kakayahan makapag-aral sa isang private school, maipagmamalaki na iyon.Nakakalungkot lang kasi hindi pa sapat iyong mga books o mga bagay na puwedeng makatulong sa mga estudyante lalo pa at karamihan ay wala man lang kakayahan makabili ng libro, pagkain nga minsan siguro hindi na nakakakain iyon iba. Nakakatuwa din iyong mga batang kahit walang baon sa kagustuhan magaral e kahit pambili ng tsinelas o magtapak e gagawin para lang makapasok ng school para mag-aral. Pagpatuloy mo lang iyan, kailangan ka ng mga bata para makatulong nila sa magandang kinabukasan kapag nakatapos sila ng pagaaral.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Now, this is a great teacher, who does it for humanity, the children and to educate in real life. Not for cosmetic reasons or for money. But for the humble fact of learning and teaching. And making someone else's life better. They tried "Private Schooling" and got bored with it. And found their solace and calling in just being in down and trodden in society and life. That is a calling and being real. Helping your fellow human being, who actually needs a helping hand and love.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sette -
I'm a retired teacher. My wife still teaches. I'm not sure, but I believe she has some books that you might be able to use. Please let me know how we might be able to send them to you.

Take care Dave

Posted 5 Years Ago


fulfillment comes in many colors doesn't it sette?! ;) such situations exist all over the world and many people and organizations, like you, work tirelessly to help ... with wells and plumbing taught, building, health and hygiene all as well as education .. as you are doing ... well done! good on ya sette ... remembering you in my prayers ... the books i have sadly are not age nor subject appropriate i'm afraid :(
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


I have books. Children books to difficult reading. What language are you seeking? To teach and to help. A true blessing. You are doing a wonderful thing. I wish I could become a teacher. Maybe in my retirement. I can. Thank you my dear friend for sharing the story.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


That's interesting read. What sort of books you need? Age group and language?

Posted 5 Years Ago


very eye-opening. you're doing God's work. that inner peace is resounding confirmation that you are in the right place. when you are being a blessing to others, blessings flow back to you. congratulations my friend ... :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


Hey.. the truth is often dramatic.. I am glad you wrote and posted these words, I get the impression they needed to be set free.... I hope they will be read over and over and that many will understand and appreciate the sentiments and emotions that underpin 'The Calling'... and good luck with your request.. Neville

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

878 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 2, 2018
Last Updated on November 2, 2018

Author

sette
sette

Writing
coffee coffee

A Story by sette


hurt hurt

A Poem by sette



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Nirvana Nirvana

A Poem by Hebe