a lesson on humility

a lesson on humility

A Story by sette

     When I accepted the challenge five months ago. I knew it was the hardest decision to make. For one question kept on running my mind.. can I join the system or will the system swallow me in the process? I have my misgivings, prejudices and biases against public school more than how many decades because I saw first hand how my peers were eaten up by the system�"the corruption, selfish motives and greed. I wonder where is karma all along or for that matter was karma just passing through? I saw the tears, the pains and the struggles of the parents as they begged the teachers to give their children passing grades and there were those bribes--- betraying the trust of both the parents and their children--- where is teaching in all that? Where is being humane? Where is the nobility of the chosen profession? I was damn sick, heartbroken and disillusioned.

      Last summer, a professor prodded me, will it be a challenge for you to get out of your comfort zone and try to do something drastic? Something not actually monumental but different--- I have to go through the usual process of ranking with no connections, simply my credentials were my ammunition as I go through the hurdle of ranking and being chosen.

     It has been a gruelling, challenging and struggling five months now with a school very far from where I live, where I meet people whom I misjudged a while back and students who had been the inspiration why I am still trying to find my niche. I have special children ranging from feral to autistic children,  I have my share of fast and slow learners, I have the ethnic and marginalized students. I am enjoying my time with them, knowing them, patiently trying to tap their potentials--- my professor was right all along, I don’t need to be special to love these children, I can be myself when I am with them. It was one challenge that I know I still have lots to learn but one great lesson that comes out of it--- it is H-U-M-I-L-I-T-Y.

© 2019 sette


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You are doing well. Helping young minds and enjoying what you do. Hard to make the right decisions and I believe you did. Thank you dear friend for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 4 Years Ago


Congratulations on having a clear vision. I wish you success

Posted 4 Years Ago


Yeah mas masarap sa pakiramdam na iyong ginagawa mo ay taos sa puso, nakakatulong at nakakainspired sa iba. Hindi naman siguro masama nga makiayon sa daloy ng mga pangyayari ngayon pero kung hindi ka naman kumportable ay huwag na lang nga, malaki ang ambag mo kahit hindi pa ito masasabing pangadvance o sumasabay sa panahon, ang mahalaga nagagawa mo tungkulin mo nang taos sa puso at walang alinlangan o pinagsisihan. Tuloy mo lang kung saan ka masaya, kung saan maiipakita mo kung sino ka mismo.

Posted 4 Years Ago


sounds like you have found your niche, sette ... teaching isn't for the weak of heart and working with special children even more trying me thinks .. good on ya! all our children are jewels in the rough eh!? i could never be a public school teacher ... saying me prayers in support of you right now! :)
E.


Posted 4 Years Ago


I entirely agree with Margie.. this is one mega achievement and a good lesson to us all in persevering against all the odds and being ourselves... well done you...much respect & all good things.. you deserve it... Neville

Posted 4 Years Ago


This is a brilliant share! First let me give you huge kudos for being a teacher. It's the most noble profession, and we all knew there was alot of unfair s**t in this arena, but you paint a picture I've never heard about & I believe it. Especially with recent news about corrupted entrance practices & more. I hope someone gets elected in 2020 that will raise teacher's salaries considerably (not that a prez can even do this). Anyhow, this is so precious & also valuable to the wider public understanding of what it's like to be in this ratrace. This is great balance between showing the s**t & yet also showing the hope in palpable ways. I admire you to the moon & back! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sette - good for you! I retired after having taught for 45 years. I taught in grades ranging from 5th through 8th. In the lower grades i taught everything, even music and art. In the 7th and 8th grades I taught social studies and American History and reading. I can't believe there is anything more rewarding than teaching. No, the money is a pittance, but the look of discovery on a child's face when they finally "get it" is beyond price. To have former students come back years later and tell you "Thank you." that too is beyond financial reward. Keep going - if you don't now, you'll come to love it!

Take care - Dave

Posted 5 Years Ago


I congratulate you for accepting the challenge and I know with love and concern for your special students you will make a difference in their lives. You will be needing monumental patience and yet times courage to practice your profession... the gains will be everlasting and you will receive love and respect from your students that you will treasure. Wishing you all the best.

Posted 5 Years Ago


If it is in the mind only, it is a job, or a career at best. If it is also in the heart, it is a vocation.
Too few of us find our true vocation in life, so change the system from within, and be the one who pupils will remember and admire. We all have one, who made their own unique impression on us, so be that person! ;)

Posted 5 Years Ago


I suppose in the long-run kids are kids. They all have their own fears and aspirations.
But kids are only as good as their teachers, and teachers are only as good as politicians allow them.
I think we all had at least one inspirational teacher.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 17, 2019
Last Updated on February 17, 2019

Author

sette
sette

Writing
coffee coffee

A Story by sette


hurt hurt

A Poem by sette



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..