All is lost

All is lost

A Poem by Bob Sherunkle
"

alone in the world...

"
Flick me a dime,
pays god and buys me some time.
Throw me a glance,
It maybe your last chance.

Toes poke through the warped stinking leather,
my a*s hangs out my pants,taking a beating from this weather.

Chin bristled like a well worn brush,
hair matted like a dogs after a wet run..I.. STINK !
Eyes that have lost all soul and hope,
let me fall from last grace,i cant cope.

No doors will open,
No hands will beckon.
No lips shall kiss this f****n mess,
No one will miss....

Me.

© 2013 Bob Sherunkle


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I just read a story yesterday where a man came to America about three months ago from the Ukraine, I believe it was. He moved to Florida. Unfortunately, he lost his job, so he went to New York to look for work. He was in some station, waiting for his cell phone to charge, when he fell asleep. While asleep, someone robbed him of what little he had, including a $1,000 that he had in cash and his passport, even his shoes. He had been sleeping on the streets of New York, hadn't bathed in weeks, and was completely bereft and couldn't even speak English. His beard was longer than it had ever been in his life, having not shaved in two months.

Fortunately, for him, a company was handing out clothes to the homeless and the owner's significant other spoke Russian. They ended up giving him clothing and food, got his hair cut, paid for a hotel room in order for him to shower and get cleaned up. They contacted the embassy and was able to get his passport, and they even purchased a one-way ticket for him to get back home, since all he wanted to do was to get home and see his children.

I don't think all is lost as long as one is alive and there is someone alive to care. One should never give up hope until they're no longer alive to think about it.

I do think your poem speaks to the nature of humans and how, all too often, we toss a coin and never give a second thought to someone that's down on his luck. There just seems to be so much sadness in this world that we have to become immune to it in order not to be completely decimated ourselves.

Posted 10 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Linda Marie Van Tassell

10 Years Ago

Amen! You're welcome. :-)
Bob Sherunkle

10 Years Ago

have a beautiful evening and weekend..
Linda Marie Van Tassell

10 Years Ago

And, for you, the same.



Reviews

the world has been in chaos from the beginning of human history but it just comes about in different forms. commercialism, consumerism, and capitalism, or the triple C threat, is what tackles and intoxicates our streets today and its so easy to get caught up in the mix of this poison but once we become aware that our life is created through our own actions and thoughts, the world suddenly doesn't seem so bad.
"eyes that have lost all soul and hope"
but you haven't lost faith :)
keep that chin up solider.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bob Sherunkle

10 Years Ago

Nebunova,many thanks for your kind words.
I can see the furrowed brow of the man and his slumping figure. It is truly the image of a man without his hopes; a man tired on his journey. This is very dramatically written (on the context that the theme is about losing) with all the honesty of the emotions. A great one again, Bob! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bob Sherunkle

10 Years Ago

Well Hello! Many thanks for reading the gurgling and review
Sometimes I feel this way...sad.
Your poem speaks out fine...human struggles, but there is always hope.
Cassy Samuels

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cassy Samuels

10 Years Ago

Ur Welcome...Sherunkle..that name
Bob Sherunkle

10 Years Ago

Not my real name...or photo for that matter!
Cassy Samuels

10 Years Ago

yea i know... lol..
wonderful piece ... you brought out the images beautifully

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bob Sherunkle

10 Years Ago

Hello Cletus,thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for the review.
Hardly anyone cares about the less fortunate anymore. Americans spent 4 million dollars on black Friday, but can't spare change to a starving man. Another great poem Bob!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bob Sherunkle

10 Years Ago

Hi Trevor,thanks for the review.I hear regards Black Friday.Consumerisim is what most of us are abou.. read more
My first reaction was to think of the tale, Ironweed, as it was discusssed in an English class. "Down and out" is timeless in its profain, almost visceral nature. How wonderful it would be, if we could remove walls, and see each other as human beings. Treks through poverty, then might not be such a lonely stinking affair. A well written piece, illustrating the desperation of the situation.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bob Sherunkle

10 Years Ago

Hi Jay,apologies for not responding sooner..technical issues! Many thanks for your comments,I agree,.. read more
This sad piece of humanity presented to us
Scorned, abhorred, rejected - a pile of rust.
Toss the decrepit soul a look of pity
Shy away from social responsibility.
A coin is easy to dispose
Uplift his dignity, I propose.
A daunting task as many can see
Yet not with impossibility.

Each soul is precious in His eyes
Our task to uplift and not despise.


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bob Sherunkle

10 Years Ago

Hi Sweetbind,that was fantastic!
Rachelle

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the inspiration....
Bob Sherunkle

10 Years Ago

No,thank you!Your words are weaved beautifully,
This is actually quite sad.
But portrays such a meaningful truth. It made me take a double take on how... terrible society is now. But, while reading through the reviews, it shows that not all society is a mess.
Bob, I love that you can make your work so significant and "worthwhile".
As always, well done. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bob Sherunkle

10 Years Ago

thank you Lily,much appreciated
The beggar on the street corner, the urchin huddled in an alcove to hide from the bitter chill. The world has forgotten them, left them to die a little more each day without a teardrop shed by ignorant passersby. Here today, gone tomorrow; our lives will fade from memory, our footprints washed away, our echoes forever silenced. Hauntingly poignant Bob. Impressive, as usual :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bob Sherunkle

10 Years Ago

Matt,mant thanks,I like the descripitive here,got a little tear in my eye man!
Another great poem portraying a sad truth, Bob. Yes, people don't give a s**t anymore. I wonder if "The Meat Machine" has anything to do with it? We are so neatly trained by that machine: sleep, work, eat, sleep, work eat, day in and day out. Maybe when we see the person in need we respond with something like "You don't fit into the world I've been conditioned to live in therefore I'm going to ignore you." Blindly we accepted (or was brain washed) the beliefs and values of the machine and now we sit with this fucked up reality. But luckily we are too blind to see...
I enjoy your work, Bob, it always makes me think (which is maybe not always a good thing though).

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bob Sherunkle

10 Years Ago

Hey Lourisa,we're(not us) all to wrapped up in the unneccesary these days.Pop idol,face book etc.Sit.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

766 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 28, 2013
Last Updated on November 28, 2013

Author

Bob Sherunkle
Bob Sherunkle

United Kingdom



About
Serial drunkard,despiser of politics and b******s.All round good guy...and yes,that picture is a very bad one of me....Possibly. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Although Although

A Poem by Nebunova