What happened?

What happened?

A Story by Josh Friedman
"

So I originally wrote this for english class, but I've gotten pretty good peer reviews, so I figured I'd publish it to the black hole that is the internet.

"

When I heard of the accident, I dropped everything. I left work early, got in my car, and just drove. I didn’t even know where the hell I was going. I just drove. Not feeling. Not caring. Not anything.

So why am I here? Why did my car lead me to this hole-in-the-wall club with screams and cries for help blaring through the speakers? Why didn’t I go straight to the hospital? Because, I know that you’d want to be here with me. That this, this poetry club is where I need to be right now.


********


It’s amazing how messed up people can be. Everyone’s got s**t; it’s just a matter of how you deal with it. We’re all contained like caged animals, the walls are close, and the sealing low. Liquor and smoke leave a sour smell throughout the room, but nobody here would have it any other way.

You see, this was the place where our first poetry slam was. It wasn’t any fancy auditorium or convention center, no it was this little club on the South Side. It seemed as if nothing was happening while I was there.

After knocking back shot upon shot upon shot in useless attempts to numb the pain, I woke up in a Hampton Inn, and then drove to the hospital following a cold shower, two tylenol, a redbull, and a cup of black coffee. There’s no hangover too bad that it can’t be fixed with tylenol, caffeine, and a shower.

When I got to the hospital, the scene was worse than anything that I could imagine. The room looked like an abandoned city wall. Tangled with weeds. Stretching. Grim. Almost, lifeless. The light in you hasn’t yet gone out. Not yet at least. She was just laying there, unable to move. Still. But when I went in there, the air may have been sucked out of me, but it was because a new light and a new breath was brought into you. She was always my best friend. I didn’t believe that I could make someone that happy. You couldn’t speak to me, but I told you what I could. I didn’t know what to say, so I read off some of my new poetry. I don’t know what I was thinking when I did that, considering that it was mostly about you. I didn’t know that just one week after our biggest argument, the one that I thought would ruin our friendship… that you would be like this. I didn’t know what to expect when I saw you lying on that bed. But when I did, I was crushed.

© 2015 Josh Friedman


Author's Note

Josh Friedman
Like I said in the description, I wrote this for english class, and I figured I'd publish this online after positive peer review and a little bit of editing. So yeah, that's about it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Loved this piece of yours..... every word reflects a feeling, an emotion of its own

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 15, 2015
Last Updated on January 16, 2015
Tags: flash fiction, short story, accidents, trajedy

Author

Josh Friedman
Josh Friedman

West Chester, PA



About
Hey, I'm Noah. I write under my brother's name to preserve his memory. I'm a nerd in every sense of the word, and extremely proud of it. Writing, band, and tumblr are my life (weird how often those th.. more..

Writing