One More Mouth to Feed

One More Mouth to Feed

A Chapter by bookworm0812

Evangeline lay on the floor of the barn, tired and weak from lack of food. She was being punished yet again, for a crime she had never committed. Stealing! They accused her of all people of stealing. Her, the poor little immigrant girl who had gotten here four months ago and barely knew English well enough to not slip back into her native French. Her, the girl who would be beaten to an inch of her life if she even thought about stealing. She knew well enough to stay quiet and do what she was asked. She didn't know how to not behave, and wouldn't have stolen anything from anyone, least of all her master and his family.
She worked for Elijah Crane, one of the leading cotton growers and manufacturers in Georgia, and probably all of the American South. He had three sons, all aged in their early teens, no daughters, and as of a year ago, no wife. Evangeline was their cook, cleaning woman, and caregiver all rolled into one young, feminine package. She was only 14, and back in her country, she'd have been married by then, pregnant with her first child. She missed home. Home was where her mother and father were, and her five older sisters and brothers. She was the baby of the family, and here she was being told how to be a mother, in basic terms. 
The Crane boys, all blue eyed and golden haired, reminded her of angels she had read about in stories. Tall, and fair, and charming, with the looks and poise of a prince. They were upper class boys, always dressed well and taught properly, and they did everything they were supposed to for the public eye. 
Behind closed doors was another matter entirely. 
Isaac, age 16, had a deadly accuracy for hunting. He knew exactly where to get each animal so it wasn't damaged, and was perfectly edible. He could work a bow and arrow, knife, fencing foil, and could work a whip like nobody his age should have been able. His father occasionally let him punish the slaves who weren't working well enough or fast enough, and Isaac adored it. It frightened Evangeline what that boy knew how to do, and he had punished her twice now as well, for nothing besides him being bored. 
SImon, age 18, had an intellect that was only matched by the university professors, but then again, he would probably be their equal in a matter or a year or two. He knew every scientific term for probably everything scientific known to man, and his ambition was to be a doctor, which was fitting, since he knew the anatomy so well. Hell, he was even the one to tell his father all about the female anatomy, so he knew what to do to Evangeline later. 
And then there was Joseph. Joseph was Elijah's pride and joy, wanting to take over the family business from his father when he was unable to tend to it any longer. He was a cruel, boorish boy who was always making trouble for anyone he could, especially Evangeline. His clothes were always muddy, requiring numerous amounts of time scrubbing, sometimes until her hands were chapped and bleeding, and he ate the most, requiring her to make more food in the middle of a meal, and in the house he was a notorious flirt who felt it necessary to point out how "delectable" she was at any opportunity the
y were alone together. 
There was a reason she had pretended to be a mute. She didn't have to say a word to any of them, which was a lovely thing, since she hardly knew their language, and didn't wish to spend any of her breath on talking to them. But then, at the same time, there was a disadvantage.
She couldn't defend herself when they accused her of something. 
Isaac had beaten her black and blue until her body was bleeding and it hurt to move anything, and his father had swiftly parted her legs and slipped her into agony. There was enough pain in that to make her want to die. She had worked so hard not to say a word, not to make a sound, and now she sobbed into a bale of hay, for a lack of a better place to cry. 
"Eva?" she heard, spoken so softly she could have cried. She looked up. Luke.
Luke Deprine was a field hand on a farm next door to the Crane's, and he was always coming to visit her at night. He was kind to her, and compassionate, and he didn't try and hurt her, or call her suggestive names, or order her around. She loved him for that. He was the only one she felt safe with. She was the only one she ever spoke to, knowing he wouldn't share the secret that she could.
"Over here." Evangeline croaked. 
Luke looked over his shoulder, checking to make sure the coast was clear before coming and sitting beside her, his brown eyes sparkling. She could see he was crying. "Oh, darlin', what happened to you?" he asked, stroking her hair and scooting her carefully into his lap. She winced a bit, and he bit his lip, murmuring an apology softly. 
"What did they do to you?" he asked, as tears trailed down his cheeks. She bent up to wipe them away. 
"Nothing they have not done before." she whispered. 
"Are you in pain?"
"No, now that you are here." She smiled happily and he leaned down, kissing her lips gently, cradling her cheek with one hand and pressing her closer to him with his other. 
She felt her stomach drop and quickly got off Luke's lap, retching into the bushes outside the barn, rasping for breath as she realized what was happening. She hadn't eaten a thing in two days, there was only one reason this could have been happening.
"Eva?" Luke asked from behind her, but she hardly heard him, the horrible thoughts swirling through her head. 
"Evangeline?" Luke asked again, coming to stand beside her. He put a hand on her shoulder and guided her back into the barn. "Darlin', what's wrong?"
"I'm....I-I'm......with child." Evangeline whispered, her skin as pale as paper, her entire body shaking.
"You couldn't be....he just.......he did this tonight, didn't he?" There was no need to elaborate who he was talking about.
Evangeline shook her head. "It's every night, Luke. It's every night."
He wrapped his arms around her, holding her close. "Shhh. It's going to be alright, Eva. We'll get out of here, we'll go far away from here." 
She cried softly into his shoulder, wishing to stay there forever. 


© 2013 bookworm0812


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love it! I dont usually read stories on here but this intrigued me. The description in it is very powerful but not overdone. It's balanced and very well written

Posted 9 Years Ago


bookworm0812

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much! That means a lot to hear, and I hope you will read the next chapter and subscribe to.. read more
Sorry for being so late! I kept meaning to get through this but the universe around me had other plans. But I showed it...I read the f*ck out of it!

Anyway, this was shockingly dark. I'm a little confused by certain aspects of the story, mainly the setup between Eva and her employer/master/captor. Naturally I assumed this story took place in the time of slavery and that she was an immigrant from Haiti or something (Boy, that notion hits home for me...) but I get the feeling that's not the case. From this I'd logically assume this is approximately in modern times and she was just kidnapped by a bunch of hillbillies, in which case the question is raised of why Luke is just allowing this to go on without taking legal action. Maybe I'm completely missing some crucial detail, who knows.

I'm not sure if this is necessarily what you intended, but reading the thoughts of Eva make her seem as if she's descended into a state of apathy or at least some level of acceptance to her situation. She seems hopeless in that she doesn't try to run away or stand up for herself, and if this is what you intended I predict a character arc revolving around her regaining hope, confidence and all that jazz and being assertive to stand up for herself. Then again, maybe I'm entirely wrong in which case I'd sound like a pretentious rambler right now...anywho...

The other characters are explained and described well enough, the thing about them I'd list as negative is that their respective relationships with one another aren't entirely clear. For instance, is Luke Eva's age or an adult? And more importantly, do the Cranes know about him Romeo-ing into their territory to talk to Eva? Or that he even exists? And as for the Cranes, as I said it's not really clear within the story whether they're slaveowners or just a really twisted family that kidnapped a girl and are holding her hostage. You really should explain the setting and time of the story as well as evaluate on the situation.

Also, a side note, you detail the Crane family as if they were normal farm kids and weren't, you know, four sadistic psychopaths. The one kid is so great at hunting animals...He lives in a family that captivates and abuses a little girl, connection? Maybe there's a reason he's so good at killing things and enjoys it so much... just a thought, something to work with.

I shall continue to read/review this as it goes on and as I have the time. Keep writing, hope I get a review from you soon. Peace


Posted 10 Years Ago


bookworm0812

10 Years Ago

I do see your point, I will make sure that in the further chapters there are more ways to realize th.. read more
Excellent read and I really loved it. I got something new to read from you today - bookworm0812
Good Work... This is your 1st story.. I hope and you did a fair justice with your work :)
I loved it :)
- Singh :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


bookworm0812

10 Years Ago

Excellent. Make sure to review!
Vikrantsingh

10 Years Ago

Certainly dear :)
bookworm0812

10 Years Ago

:) that makes my day!
A fantastic read, I very much enjoyed the story. The characters are all likable, which is always a bonus. Though ellipsis should consist of three dots, so watch that in future. A few typos, but overall they didn't distract me from the story too much. Overall, extremely well written! Well done. I look forward to reading more!

Posted 10 Years Ago


bookworm0812

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much for giving reading this a try at all! I'm laughing a bit at the "The characters.. read more
Beautifully written, I couldn't stop reading! I so far love the setting and the differences between all the characters, which makes the story so interesting, and attention grabbing from the second I started reading. I can't wait for more!

Posted 10 Years Ago


bookworm0812

10 Years Ago

Glad to hear it. There is another chapter though, ha ha. And if you'd like, feel free to send me a c.. read more
Lexi Richard

10 Years Ago

I've read it, I'm waiting for more! But yeah, I could send you a character:)
bookworm0812

10 Years Ago

Oh, ok. Ha ha. Send it whenever, I'll try to put up a chapter with them in it soon after you send i.. read more
oh expressing the sadness of Evangeline and the scene you made me to imagine while i was reading..........its great writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


bookworm0812

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much. I'm glad you like it. Evangeline is a very sad character. I adore writing her t.. read more
good, sad, start,
i need to read it twice. if you need help I'm right here ,All you have to do is call my name that does not means I'm not a jini, lol

Posted 10 Years Ago


Laminators Dubai

10 Years Ago

I'm glad that you follow rules, and I'm not joking, I obey my parents too, that's why their is no pi.. read more
Laminators Dubai

10 Years Ago

i glad you smart and your parents trust you. I'm just as you too, me and my mum we share the same br.. read more
bookworm0812

10 Years Ago

Yeah, I have my picture up, but that's it.
You have done a great job of writing.

The first paragraph is good and interesting how you introduce your main character.

The second paragraph sets the mood it grabs the reader into feeling for the character.

The following paragraphs are interesting how she admired them for their looks and also the people from the outside world, but once inside their home it was different.

Those people are very evil, they already started beating their child before it was born.

Posted 10 Years Ago


bookworm0812

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the review! I know right, Elijah and his boys are terrible people.
This chapter is very descriptive... the way you write this narrative... as a reader I just sat back and enjoyed the relative nature of the whole event... the way the characters are introduced and their mannerism... a great skill, but yet an even greater evil presides over them...

Evangeline seems to be put in an a battle zone where she is a silent enemy... yet treated like a prisoner of war... and comes along a hero to save the day... hopefully... since that is where this chapter comes to a close... Gives a lot to ponder what the other chapters will reveal and how the plot will thicken...

Posted 10 Years Ago


bookworm0812

10 Years Ago

You, dear sir, understand this so perfectly. I'm happy it came across so well.
Poor Eva! I want to hug her so badly right about now. As for being accused of stealing, gotta love the classism going on their- they WOULD immediately blame an "inferior" and not an "equal". Luke is awesome for comforting her the way he does!

Posted 10 Years Ago


bookworm0812

10 Years Ago

Thank you! Oh my goodness, that is what I was going for!!!!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

513 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 31, 2013
Last Updated on July 31, 2013


Author

bookworm0812
bookworm0812

Somewhere over the rainbow, DE



About
I'm a high school student who adores writing, about anything and everything that pops into my mind. I love reading, singing, dancing, and acting as well. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..