Dear, Lover

Dear, Lover

A Story by James Lord
"

Forever. I did throw that word around like it was going to mean something.

"
Dear Kylie,
Forever. I did throw that word around like it was going to mean something. I should have listened to you when you told me to not say it. I thought that maybe one day I would prove you wrong. Reality came though, reality to life...reality to love and it hit hard. I am stuck on what to put down now, I do not know what to say anymore, and the more I continue to type...the more it reminds me that I may never see you again. I have moved on, I can honestly say that, but my feelings for you will always be there, I still long for what we use to have.

It is kind of funny looking back on things, I remember one day walking you to choir and we talked about our senior year like we had everything planned out. You told me how we were going to win homecoming king and queen, semi-formal king and queen, prom king and queen - but that was just our hopes and wishes; reality decided for things to happen, the reality that the only person I want to tell about my day is now the only person I can rarely talk to anymore.

In the first weeks that you were gone, I started the process of organizing my life without you in it. Awkwardly filling the gaps that you once occupied with new activities, old friends, revisiting our memories together, and more Twinkies I would care to admit. Despite all my efforts to charge ahead and leave you behind, I keep thinking back that to that day you broke up with me...I should have fought back, I should have argued saying that this could work. That we could still have been together...instead I stood there, looking at you crying and wondering what I did wrong; even though you were repeatedly telling me I did nothing with non stop tears falling. We then walked away with one last hug and I kissed your forehead softly and uttered I love you trying to hold back the tears.

Either way, I am going to start a new life, a new page to this concrete, confusing world. I will be joining the Air Force to get out of this hell hole town; but I am nervous to join. You are the one person who knows how to calm me down and when I will be leaving home without you telling me that I can do it, that I am going to be great, that I should not be scared, and that you cannot wait to hear all about it. I am going through my life now, each and every day putting one foot in front of the other, with another woman, and while working hard to convince myself that you are somewhere else, doing something else, with someone else. I will put you out of my mind and simply carry on. Until I see your favorite candy bar at the grocery store; until that song comes on; or until I scrape my fork against my teeth.

Reality though has led me to smiling at a new candy bar, free to scrape my fork, and a new song. Reality has come and given a new path in life to face. I hope everything is perfect for you and that you are happy, that is all I want from you and wanted, you deserve it. I cannot thank you enough for everything that you have done for me in the 950 days of knowing you. You have taught me the importance of everyone around me and in myself; you have given me strength and a reason to continue. 

Goodbye Kylie, I wish to see you someday in the future and remember...I love you, not knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride. So I love you because I know no other way. 

© 2014 James Lord


Author's Note

James Lord
Honest review would be nice, and thanks for taking the time to read it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Amazing start! I'm not one for emotional love letters, but I could actually stomach reading this. It's beautiful. It's sweet without being creepy, sorrowful without being depressing, and hopeful without being grossly optimistic. The ending was phenomenal too - "I love you because I know no other way". I've always wondered how much of what we call love comes from our heads, and how much comes from...I don't know, fate or something.
You HAVE to submit this to The Challenge: Poem Prompt #2 contest. I'm serious. It probably isn't fair for me to tell you so since I'm judging, but I'm telling you to do it anyway. It must be done. Do it now. Right now. Go!
Great job :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

James Lord

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the review, I am really happy you liked this I cannot tell you how much it mea.. read more



Reviews

I really liked this; I enjoyed the emotion that is pouring out of the words being strung together by memories and people. It is inspirational and beautiful.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is really deep. It seems like you have a lot of feelings for the person you are writing the poem about. It was well written and the way you introduced her and ended this piece of writing was really good. Thanks for sending me a read request, I really enjoyed this piece a lot.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Hey James,

This is a nice piece of writing. Something I think most people can relate to and I get the feeling like it's more truth than fiction. As for some feedback, I spotted a few errors:
"more Twinkies THAN I would care to admit"
" I keep thinking back that to that day you broke up"

Through the majority of the story you seem to be love sick over Kylie, and then in the second last paragraph you suddenly switch to having a different and positive outlook on your life without her. I understand that it's acceptance, but I feel a paragraph or a few short sentences describing the change or coming to terms with it would be suited.
Other than that, good job man!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Simply lovely. The strength the words formed were simply breath-taking. The amount of emotion put into this was perfect; remorse, love, and sadness. It all mushed together in a smooth motion of expressing one's feelings to another. I'm not a huge fan of these types of writing, but I can make an exception for this one. I loved the wording and the smooth pacing. The sentences felt solid and didn't carry any bumps or anything awkward. Loved the simple and honest message it conveyed. An amazing write! :D

Posted 9 Years Ago


THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!...........there I said it.............well shouted it :)...........

Posted 9 Years Ago


Damn... this really changed my outlook on people getting over each other. Well, I wouldn't know how it is really because I have not yet experienced this area in life. I loved this. It actually made me more hopeful and added a ray of light in the dark tunnel for me.

This was so worth my time to read. I have read many other love poems/love letters on this website, but they were too cheesy. I just couldn't review them... haha...

But this piece of yours was something else. You pulled it off, James. I applaud you for that.

I enjoyed every word of it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

James Lord

9 Years Ago

Wow that means a lot to me. Im really glad you enjoyed this, thank you for the time you took reading.. read more
I like the concept here.. it feels like you have put more than just words on paper.. I wonder if you are planning on developing a larger story..

I did notice a few things....

" I remember on day" on or one..?
"and more Twinkies would care to admit. " confusing.. can you clarify the sentence..?
"I keep thinking back that day you broke up with me. " again.. confusing..
"wondering what I did when wrong" feels to me like there should be more words here..

do keep writing.. you managed to hold me all the way to the end..

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

olla

9 Years Ago


welcome... one of the things we never get to quit doing is re-editing... the value of peer r.. read more
James Lord

9 Years Ago

Yes, I agree and thank you for that.
olla

9 Years Ago

I came back to revisit and to see how it wore through the day.. I am glad you got some good feedbac.. read more
Amazing start! I'm not one for emotional love letters, but I could actually stomach reading this. It's beautiful. It's sweet without being creepy, sorrowful without being depressing, and hopeful without being grossly optimistic. The ending was phenomenal too - "I love you because I know no other way". I've always wondered how much of what we call love comes from our heads, and how much comes from...I don't know, fate or something.
You HAVE to submit this to The Challenge: Poem Prompt #2 contest. I'm serious. It probably isn't fair for me to tell you so since I'm judging, but I'm telling you to do it anyway. It must be done. Do it now. Right now. Go!
Great job :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

James Lord

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the review, I am really happy you liked this I cannot tell you how much it mea.. read more
Simply beautiful. It is well written and emotional. Even shed a tear here and there.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Emotional letter, points during the letter I almost got teary eye ha! Writing was great, especially with imagery, you can tell you went through some pain. Way to end it and way to start it!

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

379 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 7, 2014
Last Updated on December 7, 2014
Tags: love, sad, lost

Author

James Lord
James Lord

Bandon, OR




Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Focus Focus

A Poem by Afraa