I WROTE THE STORY OF MY LIFE BUT NEVER ONCE DID I STOP TO READ IT

I WROTE THE STORY OF MY LIFE BUT NEVER ONCE DID I STOP TO READ IT

A Poem by Boris

I wrote the story of my life but never once did I stop to read it.

 

Words, plots, characters gushed out of me, yet never once did I take the time to see

 

If the words were apt, if the plot had inner consistency, if the characters were realistic and likeable.

 

Not once did I peruse the footnotes and attempt to research further the story I was writing.

 

Not once did I check for for the minor spelling and grammar errors nor contemplated whether indeed the whole construction of my work-in-progress was fundamentally flawed from the very first word on the very first page.

 

Never once did I  pay heed to the better advice of my elders, to keep a constant tone to my novel, to not portray realism as fantasy, to not turn tragedy into comedy,   

 

But recklessly I mixed passages of horror with passages of humour, blended magic realism with surrealism and clumsily juxtaposed soaring poetry with indifferent pedestrianism.

 

Not once did I look back to see if my story made any sense, leaving it instead to others to try and make sense of the story of my life.

 

And so preoccupied was I with the writing of this book that I forgot all about existence and my life instead became this book itself.

 

And now as I come to the final page, I think to myself:

 

 
Is there still time enough to begin the book anew?

© 2008 Boris


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Boris,

Wow, what a really deep poem of self-awareness. That is a dangerous light for a poet to share is feelings, but I think you did so nicely. I like the fractured nature of the lines, it makes them seem like thoughts rather than something spun for the reader. It is as if you are letting us see the hidden soul within.

Very nice!

Posted 15 Years Ago


No, don't - I think that the free flowing nature of such a thing would be quite miraculous and powerful. I adore your use of so many types of writing styles and the duality of them bouncing off of one another would be quite an intriquing read. Thank you. Great write.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
jen
yes! really enjoyed this and can so identify.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is an amazing write, it is so true. We all go along life without thinking about hat has happened in our story, i love the word descriptions.

Posted 15 Years Ago


You didn't need to do all those things because you are a natural writer. : )

Posted 16 Years Ago


This makes me think of "Extremely Loud and Incredibly CLose" by Johnathon Safran Foer. The grandmother writes her life story, but there is no ink in the typewriter. She knows, but her husband thinks she doesn't, because she's almost blind. So he just pretends to know what it says.

Posted 16 Years Ago


great question in the last line. some deft internal rhyme. love the whimsical subject matter.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Wishing to change something that seemed so right at the time, yes, youth is wasted on the young. Very well done!

Posted 16 Years Ago


peruse the footnotes and attempt to research further the story I was writing

love it boris... i think maybe i have a long way to go , when i read your poems.. i am just but a beginner

Posted 16 Years Ago


Not once did I check for for the minor spelling and grammar errors nor contemplated whether indeed the whole construction of my work-in-progress was fundamentally flawed from the very first word on the very first page ...love it

I like the content alot, very thoughtful. If it were mine I wouldn't categorize it as a poem, but that is just me.

Posted 16 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

351 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 28, 2008

Author

Boris
Boris

Melbourne, Australia



About
My life-long ambition is to become a child prodigy when I grow up. I have but one humble aim - to change the very fabric of space-time itself. My hobbies in my spare time include conducting my o.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..