THE ETERNAL QUESTION

THE ETERNAL QUESTION

A Story by Boris

Alexander was in his late twenties at the time of the conversation, more an acquaintance than a friend, and a distant relative. Our remote consanguinity produced a certain awkwardness in our relations. I was never quite certain whether I could be open with him, as one usually is with kinsmen.

Our previous meetings were too fleeting, too fragmentary. A christening here, a wedding there. Certainly not the right place to strike a friendship.

Only one salient impression from our prior meetings remains in my mind. It was a wedding, if I remember correctly. I chanced to direct my gaze at the opposite table, and just at that moment, a certain uneasiness or perhaps rather a vague anxiety crossed Alexander's face, like a shadow, and was gone in an instant. Such a mien stood out like a dark rock amongst the sea of bland, drunken faces.

The Fates, whose ways are unknown to the common man, noticed our separate paths. And so it came to be that on the last weekend of September 19-- an invitation was extended for me to attend a gathering at the country estate of my maternal grandaunt. It was unclear to me of what relation she was to Alexander. Nonetheless Alexander too received an invitation.

I gladly accepted the invitation, being only too happy to leave the metropolis where I had spent the last ten years working for the local mining company.

As I remember, we had a long happy day of outdoor activities. We were carefree and acted almost like children in our innocent happiness. The fresh country air was a welcome change and we savoured it like a delicacy. Our dogs took eagerly to the great open spaces of which they had no prior inkling, having been brought up in the crowded city.

It was nearing the eleventh hour. The wonderful day was coming to an end. Our companions had long retired to bed, sleeping the sleep of the saints. Such a sleep only comes when one knows that all that possibly could have been done in a day has been done. Too often sleep is an interruption, an annoyance that prevents us from engaging in our favourite activities. And so we retire to sleep in frustration and have dreams for consolation. The sleep of the saints is without dreams, for dreams are for those who do not live their lives to the full.

I, too, longed for the saints' sleep. But Alexander was in the study room with me. A fire, the only illumination in the room, was greedily devouring its offerings. Now and then I could see Alexander's face lit up by the last flicker of a dying ember. Deep thought was etched into every line of his face, ageing him indefinably.

It occurred to me that I have waited long for this moment, to be close to Alexander, to glimpse into his unfathomable soul.

I believe it was the combination of the lateness of the hour, our seclusion and the wonderfulness of the day that had passed that allowed him to open up to me, as he had never done before.

He started speaking, his voice detached and hoarse, his speech directed more at fire than at me. But I listened, avariciously catching every word that passed from his lips, my yearning for bed long gone.


"Every word is a bloodless being, its life-force sucked out from it a long, long time ago. An insurmountable mount exists between the sublimeness of the feelings that filled my inner being as I gazed into the infinitude of the heavens tonight and the utter mediocrity of the words that we use to describe our precious inner possessions. These thoughts, these sensations are the very essence of my identity and to equate them with some words is to deny the very uniqueness of my experience. Yet tonight I feel an inexplicable desire to communicate.

Throughout my life a certain question has held a pincers-like grip on my mind, refusing to vacate its dwellings, until it has been demolished by the indubitable answer, a proof. To quench that insatiable doubt became of paramount significance and overshadowed all other interests that a normal, balanced young man would possess. I often wondered if I was the only one affected by this damned malaise. A thought terrorized me: was this question, this doubt a valid concern or was it due to the wanderings of a spoilt mind, the product of an undisciplined and self-absorbed character.

If the question could be given a crude physical form, then it roughly translates into something like: why am I here on this Earth? Who is responsible for my existence? My parents, that is obvious, are directly responsible. But I wanted to search out the fundamental raison d'être. I believe I have finally found it. History holds the ultimate responsibility. My chronic doubts were soothed by the indubitable facts of the past.

So often people scorn history. But history is people acting in unison, people being more than just independent units. The whole becomes greater than the sum of the parts. The depth and ferocity of pent-up frustration, aggression and idealism that is liberated by the great historical events is unparalleled in any other human endeavour. People become prey to rabble-rousers, willing to sacrifice all that is precious to them for the Great Cause.

My very existence is directly and intimately caused by one such cataclysmic historical event. My genesis was a catastrophe, war was the seed from which my existence germinated. A chain of cause and effect links connect my life to that of my ancestors in those momentous times. Somehow I feel that time to be an integral part of my very being.

The turning point in the life of my forebears was the Revolution. The Revolution facilitated the union of the maternal and paternal branches of my family tree. It would not be inaccurate to say that the maternal branch was grafted onto the paternal tree trunk. Only the Revolution could make this kind of intermixing possible.

The paternal side was always a seemingly incongruous mixture of lofty idealism and urbane sophistication. If one word could characterise it, it would be the word "intelligentsia".

Before the Revolution the paternal side threw itself into a wide range of intellectual enterprises and philanthropic activities. When the Revolution made its fiery entry, the forebears on my father's side unhesitatingly accepted its demanding principles.

All over the country at that time intellectuals who previously fought only with words and ideas were asked to defend the aims of the Revolution with arms. My paternal side did so outstandingly, volunteering for the local revolutionary brigade. I believe some of them were machine-gunners on an armoured train.

While these momentous historical events were taking place, the maternal side of my family was busy looking after their old decrepit grocery store in a sleepy provincial town. They came from a long line of small traders, and had a decidedly narrow outlook on life and its possibilities.

They welcomed the Revolution for pragmatic reasons. It was their hope that the new regime would help them solve the problem that the old regime was never able to solve. For years the family had been trying to obtain the shop next door as they wanted to expand their business. Year after year the case went in and out of court. The family had to endure the legendary inefficiency and ineptitude of a bureaucracy in its waning years. Those were the nadir years of the monarchy. I will not bore you at this hour with the petty case details."


The last ember died away, giving up the vain fight against the primordial all-consuming blackness. I did not stir for the fear of interrupting Alexander's story. He continued, his inner truth providing the illumination that was lacking without.

 

 

"One fine September day, as the summer was bidding its adieu, the Great War arrived, unwelcome and unheralded. It brought with it suffering on an unprecedented scale. No longer was there time to deal with cases not vital to the security and well-being of the country. The family's hopes of settling the case collapsed.

With the Revolution came the heartfelt belief that all the wrongs would be righted and true justice would prevail. It would not be inaccurate to say that the grocer's family were not interested in the new social order nor in fighting for the principles of the Revolution. They were the quintessential opportunists and looked excitedly to the day when the new rulers would cut the Gordian knot and enable them to obtain the shop next door.

Little did they know that the new regime had its own ideas on the concept of private ownership; ideas which, unheard of at the time, were justified by the abstruse field of philosophy.

The family, of course, was unable to obtain the shop next door. The real tragedy befell the hapless family soon after the take over of the town by the insurgents. Their own shop was confiscated by the revolutionaries and became the national property of the Greater Socialist Collective - a dubious honour.

One of my ancestors on the father's side was a rising star in the revolutionary battalion, which was stationed for a time in the grocer family's town. He cut a striking figure: fiery black eyes, a great moustache that was curled up according to the fashion of the day, splendid insignia and uniform as befitting his high rank.

The duty of justifying the actions of the revolutionaries to the local populace fell on his shoulders. It was no easy task under any circumstances. The heads of the families of the town were asked to attend a meeting at the local public hall. To say that the atmosphere of the meeting was charged would be a great understatement. Amongst the audience was the grocer still hoping that somehow, in some way, the flow of the events could be reversed. But the tide of history is irreversible.

Always a man of action and never lost for words, the enterprising grocer managed to persuade the revolutionary to come to his home by the promises of delicacies and a comforting drink. The revolutionary, having endured the hell of soldier life, was an easy target for the grocer's bribes.

The grocer had a young daughter, barely out of adolescence, shy and always quick to blush, and possessing a certain homespun charm.

An unlikely match they were! He, a revolutionary commissar, imbued with the fresh principles of Justice, Equality and Freedom. She, a mousy daughter of a provincial grocery store owner.

He needed the comfort of a family that was sadly missing from his hectic life, she wanted to break out from the claustrophobic, stifling atmosphere of her home. They fulfilled each other's needs to perfection.

Their fates became intertwined during those heady days, months and years of the post-revolutionary society. As events rolled inexorably towards their climax, a child was born, a child of the Revolution."


Alexander fell silent for what seemed to be an unbearable duration. I was not sure which would cause the greater offence: my staying or my leaving, and I let my mind wander over the fine points of etiquette. My restless ruminations were cut short by his words, spoken slowly and decisively, without the shadow of the inner torment that darkened his earlier speech.

 

 

"When the winds of change blow, we are merely leaves, picked up, carried by the current and arbitrarily rearranged.

But I have said enough for tonight. It is time that we retire to beds."



On waking up the following morning the memory of the late night conversation immediately came to my mind. After attending to the morning toilet, I almost ran out of the room so eager was I to see Alexander again. But, alas, he was nowhere to be found. The hostess was in the dining room. I enquired of his whereabouts only to be informed that he left early in the morning without leaving any message or even saying adieu. The groundsman who saw him leave said that he looked rather distressed and seemed to be in much hurry to get out of the estate.

I have never seen Alexander since. His closest relatives have given me only vague answers to my persistent enquiries as to where I could locate him. Even if he does not want to see me again, his words will be with me forever.

© 2008 Boris


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Something about this reminds me of Steinbeck, maybe it is the wording you use.

"Every word is a bloodless being, its life-force sucked out from it a long, long time ago. An insurmountable mount exists between the sublimeness of the feelings that filled my inner being as I gazed into the infinitude of the heavens tonight and the utter mediocrity of the words that we use to describe our precious inner possessions. These thoughts, these sensations are the very essence of my identity and to equate them with some words is to deny the very uniqueness of my experience."

This paragraph is so beautiful, a really amazing way to start of Alexanders monolouge. A very interesting read, thank you for sending it my way.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Obviously, you are educated. I would guess that you majored in some unique field of philosophy spurned on by your intense introspection. Or should.

This story was laborious to read. It is detrimental to the pacing of the story to put long sections in italics. It is the same as PUTTING ALL YOUR WORDS IN CAPS AND, ESSENTIALLY, MAKES THE READER SLOW DOWN AND LOSE INTEREST BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WANT TO FOCUS ON EVERY LITTLE THING THAT IS SAID.
They want to read a story. Correction, they want the story to draw them in.

I think, no, I know, that you are the type of person I would love to have long conversations over the nature of phenomenal and noumenal qualities of the universe - long dialectic discourses that illumine the crevices of the soul, but I have problems getting into your stories.

They don't read like stories. They read like mini-lectures. Which, personally, I love to death, but not when I want a good piece of fiction.

Posted 15 Years Ago


What an intriguing story! I was reminded a little of Poe in your beginning descriptions of Alexander and his words. Excellently written.

Posted 15 Years Ago


First, I adore you description of sleep in the beginning section of this write. The sleep of the saints as not to dream...well spoken. Secondly, Alexander's conversation has a ring of Kantian philosophy to me - 'the whole being greater than the sum of its parts'. Very intriquing. Great story. Thank you.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 15 Years Ago


Alexander raises the ultimate questions that we ponder in life...

I still feel his rambling is a bit disconnected.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I like your idea about a dreamless sleep........

Why does Alexander suddenly decide to open up and speak so prophetically to the narrator? What was the point of the story? The story and Alexander's last words do not seem connected.

The story within the story is unfinished as is the frame story - so it feels to me.

There are certain areas that I think you got too verbose. I would tighten the narrative a bit. However, it reads like an excellent English novel.

I am now going to reread it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Though equally deep and detailed to your other stories, I found this one harder to get through. I read Gary Alexander's review and I agree with him on that Alexander's monologue seemed a bit rehearsed. It may just be that the tone of the story seemed much more old fashioned, almost like a victorian novel such as Dracula, but the way he spoke was very formal and thus harder for me to read. Not that it isnt good! It's just a bit mature for my taste, and I'm sure it is better suited for older, more experienced literature readers. :-)
Contrary to what GA said, I much prefer your other stories.
But keep in mind that this is still better by a landslide than most things i read.
-sara :-)

Posted 16 Years Ago


Boris,
Before I leave today, I wanted to have a look at this story. I should read it much more closely. But first let me say I believe it is SO much better written than the earlier piece I read. So, So much better. Written almost like by a different hand. However, let me say this...overall: Although intelligently done and quite an effort I have a few suggestions (some perhaps I was in a hurry), I feel you could trim this considerably. I think it should read more simply...be more palatible. The bulk of the story...Alexander's speech struck me a difficult to get through (Do people really talk that way? At the "drop of a hat?" It seemed a bit much and preachy!) I think this kind of speech is asking too much of the reader. It's a lot to sawllow...not only the content and concepts...but the credibility of someone launchinginto this kind of lecture...in this kind of rather unconversational language. Do people talk this way?) In re some of what might be trimmed...this is throughout...but just a few examples to give you the idea: "remains IN MY MIND"...(where else?) "If I remember correctly" (all of this is unnecessary...just tell it. After all, it IS YOUR story!)...I felt a CERTAIN UNEASINESS" (forget "certain." I felt UNEASY is sufficient)...And look at all the unnecessary indefinite words here: OR...PERHAPS...RATHER...a VAGUE...anxiety. (This was all at the start of ONE sentence!) Every one of those words suggest INDEFINITE. You must be clear. Concise. Definite! Just the word "anxiety" creates enough of what you want to say. ("Anxiety" is that condition generally given rise to by the UNCLEAR...and the UNEXPECTED!) You have phrases like...the "common man." What is that? It's a little vague...and overused. You have phrases like: "Only too happy!" How about simply "happy." And you used "As I remember..." again, this IS YOUR story. You don't need to tell us who is remembering! (lol!) You wrote: "acted ALMOST LIKE"..."almost" is indefinite and vague...and "like" is for a simile. Be more direct. You wrote: "Savored LIKE a delicacy." Savored would have been enough. Get the idea? Hey! It's only a question of YOU being aware of this stuff. It's a habit. Be on the lookout for it...the story will read better...and for impatient people like myself...it'll read a lot SHORTER! (And you won't be losing much at all!)
Best,
GA

Posted 16 Years Ago


A subtle work with powerful meaning. Are we basically a random collection of atoms brought together by energy to be shuffled around for a brief period only to break down and merge once more in another form? The world blows hot and cold and we along with it. A thought provoking story well written. Cheers.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Wow, best piece of yours I have written so far. Revolution and being-here, indeed what a mixture it is. Marx is indispensable of course to existentialism and everything that comes after it, but the problem with Marx is that of course he never really dared to understand human nature as it relates to socio-political reality to its fullest extremes, It is like meteorology, wherever there is a lower pressure, there the wind will blow too; similarly with a vacuum of power … it will get filled very quickly, and it’s occupation will come like a hurricane. Look how quickly the October revolution into Stalin’s regime of hand and whip! So there is something quite essential that Marx forgot, namely the dynamics of men together.
I noticed that Ms. Serpahin compares you to Steinbeck, I have not read him yet but I know that such is quite a compliment. Actually I am planning to read him soon since I am expecting the majority of his collection from the ‘Library of America’; I did see that one film ‘lifeboat’ of Hitchcock which was based on one of his films.
I appreciate your understanding of ‘reality’. One of the first things you ever told me is that you want to extend the work of Kafka; I can really see this here, because Kafka also had this awareness of ‘reality’ of the ‘life-world’. The world we find around us, it is a saga really, we all are actors and cannot help but to be dragged into that whole framework, but that causes us to be alienated without us even being aware of that; it is the humanistic variant of Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle; once you remove yourself however and come to look at the world, at history from outside of it, from atop that mountain just beyond the horizon … it is most remarkable how different things look.

Steven

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Something about this reminds me of Steinbeck, maybe it is the wording you use.

"Every word is a bloodless being, its life-force sucked out from it a long, long time ago. An insurmountable mount exists between the sublimeness of the feelings that filled my inner being as I gazed into the infinitude of the heavens tonight and the utter mediocrity of the words that we use to describe our precious inner possessions. These thoughts, these sensations are the very essence of my identity and to equate them with some words is to deny the very uniqueness of my experience."

This paragraph is so beautiful, a really amazing way to start of Alexanders monolouge. A very interesting read, thank you for sending it my way.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

278 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 28, 2008
Last Updated on March 21, 2008

Author

Boris
Boris

Melbourne, Australia



About
My life-long ambition is to become a child prodigy when I grow up. I have but one humble aim - to change the very fabric of space-time itself. My hobbies in my spare time include conducting my o.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..