AN ODE TO THE CENTURY PAST

AN ODE TO THE CENTURY PAST

A Poem by Boris

That was the age of despair, disrepair
but this is now, the New Utopia.

That was the time when we killed off our muses
throwing their remains to the ravenous dogs.

Our innocence disemboweled, our hopes quartered
with five hollow-point bullets on that cold december night.

When six million replaced six six six as the accursed number
of all eternity and
six million nameless faces, six million faceless names
were extinguished for that greatest crime of all -
Existence.

But this is now, the Neo-Utopia.

That was the age of despair, disrepair
When raven-black sun  
threw rays of shadow upon the earth and
giant bullfrogs ate pygmy antelopes
hooves, bones and all.

But still we fought on, hoping for meaning to appear
yet when it arrived, it was only in our dreams
dissipating as soon as we awoke and tried to grab at its
gossamer threads with our crude, clumsy hands.

And this is now, the Last Utopia.

© 2008 Boris


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Such a powerful piece of writing!!!!!!! So deep. So dark. And so true. Your imagery is so prevailing. This is a superb piece!!!!!!!!!!

Keep it up, Boris. You have AMAZING talent!!!

Josie


Posted 15 Years Ago


Such a brilliant depth exposing our horrid darkness. You so vividly define a world bent on destruction, yet grasping for hope and peace. Excellent!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love the dark, somewhat eerie, imagery in your poem. It's insightful and a true reflection of the reality we live in.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I like the work, even the symmetry of the loss of one with the loss of millions. Have you thought about going back and adding more stanzas? The century was full or many more examples. Just provides you the ability to make a much longer work. Just an idea, I like it how it is.


Posted 15 Years Ago


Hi Boris, People are under the mistaken impression that the 666 is a myth...silly people. We are heading into rough seas and a cashless society, which in turn means "Micro-chipping" It is already compulsory for pets...we're next...not me! Utopia indeed...don't think so! Have you ever seen any of Barry Smith's DVD's?
Worth having a gander at.
I like your form, placement and use of words. An intelligent piece of writing.
Cheers,
Helen:-)

Posted 15 Years Ago


I agree as well with the previous reviews. Although we all live by the moment we cannot help but experience the "Now" and what effects it may have upon us and our scope of understanding the future while respecting the past. Great imagery and reflection!

Posted 15 Years Ago


I completely agree with Siddartha. The poem is very captivating, and there are some cataclysmic elements in it. However, it shows hope for the future as well, and I find that very uplifting. It's difficult to explain how a poem can have optimistic and pessimistic sides to it, but that's what you've created in this piece. I particularly like the fact that you didn't use a pattern for how many lines you have in stanzas. I'm just breaking out of that habit, and this is a good example of that technique. Great write!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Powerful words - definitely apocalyptic in tone - if we are the Last Utopia - then it seems the end is near in this writing. Gives one much to ponder although so many atrocities have happened for centuries before us as well. You definitely have a wonderful writing style - I was mesmerized from beginning to end. Thank you.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 15 Years Ago


Well written, beautifully penned. Thank you for sharing. Debileah

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is a beautiful piece of writing, even with it's enumeration of sad events and appocalyptic vision. The wordplay is excellent (internal rhyming of "despair/disrepair") and the clever "nameless faces/faceless names." Themes emerge from themes and images build on images. If I were being picky (and I'm not) I could find a few places where you might want to add a comma (after "muses" or "antelopes"), but overall it's so powerful, and appeals to me personally for obvious reasons (if you see my last name, you know). I hope you submit this for publication in a poetry journal or ezine. I'm sure it would be accepted.

Posted 15 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

577 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 28, 2008

Author

Boris
Boris

Melbourne, Australia



About
My life-long ambition is to become a child prodigy when I grow up. I have but one humble aim - to change the very fabric of space-time itself. My hobbies in my spare time include conducting my o.. more..

Writing