Love and Family

Love and Family

A Story by Braden Freeman
"

This is a fictional story about my trip across the border to visit my brother.

"

Mounting the train I feel anxious. Aside from the obvious, the fact that I have never been on a train, most of my fear comes from my strained relationship with my brother. I have not seen him in years. He moved to the United States to pursue work; being less adventurous, I opted to stay put in my hometown of Calgary, Canada.


The train ride from my home to the United States is several hours, so I decide that I have plenty of time to ponder over, and worry about, my upcoming encounter with my brother. I decide to sit down next to an Asian women, hoping that she will mind her business and leave me with my thoughts. To my surprise, she starts up a conversation, asking me about my trip and intended destination.


I notice that English is not her first language, so as I respond I am mindful that I need to speak slowly and clearly to ensure proper understanding. I tell her about my brother, how we were close as children but have grown apart as a result of the trials and tribulations of life. I explain how this trip is a chance for us to restore the bond of family, the bond of love. She begins to cry as I talk about my love for my brother.


Evidently she is also travelling to the USA to visit a loved one. Her sister lives in the United States with a man who is very unkind and verbally abusive. She is not travelling merely for purposes of pleasure: she is on a mission to save her sister. She hopes to convince her sister to leave this bad man and flee with her to Canada. I offer my empathy and support for her situation. She seems to settle down, and I propose that we get some rest so we are refreshed and ready for our big days. We slowly nod off.


A few hours later, I open my eyes and notice the train has stopped. I eventually realize that we have arrived in the United States and that it is time for us to meet our loved ones. I wake up the lovely lady next to me. Together we look out the window, hoping to see our family members. She immediately spots her sister and is overwhelmed with joy. Shortly thereafter I see my brother, and father, off in the distance. The family was together again.  

© 2015 Braden Freeman


Author's Note

Braden Freeman
Comments are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like how the story comes to a hopeful end, however as a reader i'd quite like to understand more of the context regarding what disputes went on with in the family to cause this separation. I like the connection between the two strangers however there is some grammar issues I couldn't help noticing, for example the unnecessary semi colon in the first paragraph which should just be 'and'. I hope you find this constructive, I enjoyed reading your work :-)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well with the amount of words allotted. I think my passenger was a bitter old man at first before ditching him in a later draft. I'm glad I did because I hate stepping on othe writers ideas. Nicely worded.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like how the story comes to a hopeful end, however as a reader i'd quite like to understand more of the context regarding what disputes went on with in the family to cause this separation. I like the connection between the two strangers however there is some grammar issues I couldn't help noticing, for example the unnecessary semi colon in the first paragraph which should just be 'and'. I hope you find this constructive, I enjoyed reading your work :-)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 28, 2015
Last Updated on June 28, 2015
Tags: Family, Travel, Love

Author

Braden Freeman
Braden Freeman

Calgary, SW, Canada



About
I live a simple life in Calgary, Alberta. I currently work with the homeless. I want to make the world a better place, and writing is one way compassionate beings uplift the human race. more..

Writing
Nature Nature

A Story by Braden Freeman