yesterday once more chapter 1 rewrite

yesterday once more chapter 1 rewrite

A Chapter by brezybaby3
"

revised version of chapter 1

"

Chapter one

 

He heard rustling in the house so he knew they were home.  Yet he couldn’t seem to knock.   He had the paper with the ad for a handyman and the note he’d written directions on. Come on, Landon, he told himself, knock.  But he couldn’t raise his hand.

Would TayLynn know it was him?  He knew he looked different. He had brown hair now instead of blond, but his eyes were still a very distinct blue.  He was also much shorter at 6’0” then the 6’7” he had once been. Being given a body that didn’t belong to you was a difficult thing.

To be here, to see her and his daughter, had been worth it though.  Jacob said she wouldn’t know him and that he couldn’t tell her, but how could he not?

Finally he knocked.  His daughter answered the door and for a moment he was speechless.  She really did look just like him.  Had that been a comfort to Tay?  Or had it just made things more difficult?

“Hi” He managed, “I’m Lance. Is Mrs. Coleman in?”

A dazzling smile took him by surprise.  “Sure, I’ll get mom. And it’s Ms.  She’s not married.”  She winked. “I’m Jasmine, but everyone calls me Jazzy.” and was gone before he could comment.

He just smiled.  He sensed a mischievousness in her that had once been a part of Tay. 

“Mom, he’s here.” He heard her call.

Soon he heard little feet running followed quickly by the tread of grown feet.  A little blond bombshell rounded the corner followed by Tay carrying a matching one on her hip.  She was breathless when she extended her hand.

“Hi, I’m TayLynn Coleman.  You must be Lance.”

 The name sounded awkward to him coming from her lips. But it was the name that belonged to him now. He took her hand and felt electricity sizzle up his arm. He wondered if she felt it too. “Hi, nice to meet you.” He smiled. That was all he could manage to say.

She smiled that perfect smile.  “I’ll put the twins in Jazzy’s room with a movie. Then we can talk.”

“Okay.”  Why couldn’t he put two thoughts together?  Maybe it was seeing her up close for the first time in 14 years. Or smelling her perfume, which was still the same.  Or just being here, in the same room, where he could talk to her and touch her.

 

She led him to a sofa in the next room then grabbed the hand of the little guy.  “I’ll be right back.  Can I get you something to drink? Coffee, tea, soda?”

“Pepsi?” He asked.

“Sure” she smiled.  He noticed it was the same smile that had lit up his daughter’s face moments ago and it captured his heart with memories.

She was so much more beautiful now then he’d last seen her.  Her eyes were still a startling crystal blue, and her hair was still long and blond, pulled into her perpetual ponytail.  But age and life had just made her more beautiful.  She seemed taller, but that was probably because he was shorter.  In fact, he thought, his daughter was probably taller than her.

She came back with two cans of Pepsi and one glass of ice.  “They are cold from the fridge, but I thought you might like a glass.” A wistful smile played at her lips. “My dad always did so I always check.”

“Did?” He asked gently

Her eyes glistened for a moment and he saw her visibly draw strength to stop it.   Same Tay there.  She never had liked to cry. In front of anyone, especially someone she thought was a stranger.  “He died last year of a stroke.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s ok.  Just still gets me sometimes.  But we have to move on.  So, you want the job as my handyman here. Why?”

“It sounded intriguing.  I’m between jobs right now and could use the work.” Thank you, Jacob, he said silently, for preparing me.

“A lot of the projects are small ones. Just things that were partly finished by my dad.”  She chuckled. “My dad was terrible at finishing things.  You can paint then?  There is a lot of it.  Any electrical experience?

He nodded his head, “I enjoy painting.  It’s very relaxing.  Have some electrical experience.  It’s enough to get by and not get shocked.”

“That should do.  I work from home, so I will be here all day.  My mom comes to pick up the boys at 10 and Jazzy brings them home after school”.  She smiled. “I don’t know how much work you would get done with them underfoot.”

“That does sound difficult” He smiled back.

They talked over a few other job specifics and then, “The job is yours if you want it Lance.”

He smiled, “I’ll take it.” And TayLynn’s heart flip-flopped. She felt that smile all the way to her toes.

She walked him out, “I’ll see you at 10” she said hoping she sounded normal. She figured she must have when he nodded and left.  She closed the door and leaned against it.  When was the last time she had been so affected by a simple smile?  She laughed to herself. Not since she met Jazzy’s dad almost 18 years ago she guessed.

Her smile faded slowly.  How she missed Landon.  Three kids, a failed marriage and 14 years hadn’t changed that.  Would the ache in her heart for him ever go away? She didn’t think so.

She shook off her mood and went to Jazzy’s room “Hey, if you are ok with the boys, I’m going to call your aunt.”

Jazzy looked at her brothers seated in front of the TV watching JUNGLE BOOK.  “I think they are fine for another half hour or so.” She smiled.

“Ok”

“So, did you hire him?” Jazzy questioned her mom.

“Yes, I did. I think he will work out fine.”

“So do I” Her smile was wide.

TayLynn shook her head at her daughter, “No matchmaking, young lady.”

“He didn’t have a ring on, mom” She shook her head

“He could have a girlfriend or a fiancé’”

“So I’ll ask” Her midnight blue eyes, so like her fathers, twinkled.

“Jazzy, I don’t need a relationship to be happy.  I’m content with just you, me and the boys.”

“I know, mom, but they need a dad.”

“I’m not getting into a relationship just to give them a dad. Besides, they have lots of uncles to help out.”

“True. Well, how bout because you fall in love?” Jazzy’s whole look was hopeful.

She tousled her daughters long blond hair and laughed. “That would take a miracle, Jazzy.  I still love your dad.  But if it happened, then I might be willing to get into a relationship again.”

Jazzy’s face got serious.  “Well, Mom, I have been praying for a miracle.  But you have to be open to it happening.”

She sighed, knowing she wouldn’t win. “Look, Jazzy, I’ll be open to it.  But so far no one has made me feel like your dad did. And I tried to settle for less.  Never again.”

“Adam was awful, mom, but not all guys are like that.”

“I know. Look at Aunt Cami.  She got a good one finally”.  Her best friend Cami, had recently married for the fourth time. This time it looked like she had married a keeper.  “And Uncle Jake and Aunt Savannah have been married forever.  I think those two are the last good guys around.”

“Nah, Mom.  To quote aunt Cami there’s a good one out there for you too.”

TayLynn smiled at her ever persistent daughter, “I’m ending  this so I can call your aunt and let her know I hired someone.”

Jazzy smiled and turned over ways in her mind to find out if this cute new guy would be someone for her mom. “Let her know he’s cute for an old guy.”



© 2015 brezybaby3


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on December 5, 2015
Last Updated on December 5, 2015


Author

brezybaby3
brezybaby3

napavine, WA



About
I started writing in 8th grade when the teacher put up a writing prompt for our journal and the story just flowed from my pen. I have had several poems published. I am currently going through my poe.. more..

Writing
Its just a day Its just a day

A Chapter by brezybaby3