Red Rum

Red Rum

A Story by Brinleigh Bailey
"

Micky Abbott must choose between admitting to a crime she didn't commit, or running from those who believe she did.

"
This is what I remember.
 
May 15, 2015
              There was a knock on the door.  "Margaret Abbott?"  More banging.  I sat up in bed, mumbling to myself.  "Margaret Abbott?  LAPD."  I rolled off the bed, stumbling to my feet. 
 
              "Coming," I croaked, turning the corner out of my bedroom.  Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I walked directly into the coffee table, stubbing my toe on the wooden edge.  "Damn it," I mumbled, hopping on one leg as I cradled my foot. 
 
              More banging on the door.  "Alright, alright!"  I limped over to the front door, tucking my bedhead behind my ears before flinging the front door open.  "What's this about?  It's like three in the morning-" Two guns were clocked simultaneously before being shoved in my face. 
 
              "Margaret Abbott.  We have reason to believe you are guilty of the murder of Peter Crowell.  You have the right to remain silent," the first officer grabbed my wrist, jerking me towards him and slapping a cuff on my arm.  "If you do decide to say anything, it can and will be used against you in a court of law."  The second cuff.  "You have the right to a lawyer present during any questioning.  If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you if you so desire."
 
              The sudden pull towards the police car snapped me out of shock.  "Wait-What?  What are you talking about?   Murder of who?  I don't even know a Peter!  Hey!  Get your hands off me!"  The officer flung open the door to the police car, shoving me in.  I braced myself on the side, resisting.  "Please," I begged.  "Tell me what's happening."
 
              The officer, whose nametag read Will, narrowed his eyes.  "You're being convicted of first degree murder." 
 
The day before...

© 2015 Brinleigh Bailey


Author's Note

Brinleigh Bailey
Just something I had started on... Let me know what you think and whether or not you'd like to read more. Slowly getting through my read requests (there are MANY) but don't worry, I haven't forgotten about you. I also recently created a contest titled "Blind Life" in which through some form, you capture the feelings and/or senses of a blind person. Maybe through a story of someone living with the disability, a poem, etc. There are more details on the actual contest page. Any and all feedback is appreciated, thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was good.............

Posted 8 Years Ago


All right, I finally was ready to read your work and I am really glad I did. Don't know where it's going or where it's been, but it will be a fun ride i expect. Very captivating. Thank you so much for writing. I am not attempting to handle content as this sounds like a work in process.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Not much really to say about the piece (simply because most of what I would critique has already been said) but keep up the work!

Posted 8 Years Ago


There's something there... I certainly look forward to the next installment.
But unless you're hinting (perhaps too obviously then) that these aren't really police officers (because they would not act the way they did or say the things they said as you presented them) you need to spruce up that section.

I liked it though. Making us want more is a big part of a successful tale.
Bravo

Posted 8 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Aya
Not a fan of crime-stories, but it was interesting...maybe just because I have no such knowledge of the law and such, so always crime movies leaves me half confused . I wonder what she will choose, to get blamed or run away and hide/ look for real criminal...but then if she even doesn't know the victim..how come she got blamed for it? Looking forward to see how you will spin this :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Really great work. Very intreauging.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Great work here, I enjoyed it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Nice work... for those that understand law more so than others they will see right through and lose attention and not believe the story. But for those that don't they will enjoy it. I like the wording :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


I'm no law aficionado but barring any legalese you might look into (I am assuming he meant the part where the officer said "you're being convicted" - I guess an officer can only arrest and read the charge....

anyway, that wasn't my point... I really enjoyed this and want to know what happens next... it is a great cliff hanger... I've read police novels and what you have done so far makes me want to buy the book lol

Posted 8 Years Ago


You need to do a little more research on your legal procedures. I am making this suggestion because I have a background, and a degree, in law, and the suspension of disbelief was broken when I read that part of the scene. However, on the whole, it is a very intriguing hook.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Brinleigh Bailey

8 Years Ago

Could you tell me exactly what I need to brush up on? I actually did do research, the only thing co.. read more
Solitaireman

8 Years Ago

You are correct about using the wrong terminology. A person is not 'convicted' of a crime until a ju.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

853 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 6, 2015
Last Updated on June 6, 2015
Tags: police, conviction, guilty, innocent


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..