Red Rum

Red Rum

A Story by Brinleigh Bailey
"

Micky Abbott must choose between admitting to a crime she didn't commit, or running from those who believe she did.

"
This is what I remember.
 
May 15, 2015
              There was a knock on the door.  "Margaret Abbott?"  More banging.  I sat up in bed, mumbling to myself.  "Margaret Abbott?  LAPD."  I rolled off the bed, stumbling to my feet. 
 
              "Coming," I croaked, turning the corner out of my bedroom.  Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I walked directly into the coffee table, stubbing my toe on the wooden edge.  "Damn it," I mumbled, hopping on one leg as I cradled my foot. 
 
              More banging on the door.  "Alright, alright!"  I limped over to the front door, tucking my bedhead behind my ears before flinging the front door open.  "What's this about?  It's like three in the morning-" Two guns were clocked simultaneously before being shoved in my face. 
 
              "Margaret Abbott.  We have reason to believe you are guilty of the murder of Peter Crowell.  You have the right to remain silent," the first officer grabbed my wrist, jerking me towards him and slapping a cuff on my arm.  "If you do decide to say anything, it can and will be used against you in a court of law."  The second cuff.  "You have the right to a lawyer present during any questioning.  If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you if you so desire."
 
              The sudden pull towards the police car snapped me out of shock.  "Wait-What?  What are you talking about?   Murder of who?  I don't even know a Peter!  Hey!  Get your hands off me!"  The officer flung open the door to the police car, shoving me in.  I braced myself on the side, resisting.  "Please," I begged.  "Tell me what's happening."
 
              The officer, whose nametag read Will, narrowed his eyes.  "You're being convicted of first degree murder." 
 
The day before...

© 2015 Brinleigh Bailey


Author's Note

Brinleigh Bailey
Just something I had started on... Let me know what you think and whether or not you'd like to read more. Slowly getting through my read requests (there are MANY) but don't worry, I haven't forgotten about you. I also recently created a contest titled "Blind Life" in which through some form, you capture the feelings and/or senses of a blind person. Maybe through a story of someone living with the disability, a poem, etc. There are more details on the actual contest page. Any and all feedback is appreciated, thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes, very good. The way you have written is quite suspenseful and good. :) Waiting for what happens next. Send me a read request as soon as you write more!

Posted 8 Years Ago


A sharp beginning, and it works. Nothing worse than a boring opening, and this is far from that. The reader will definitely want to read on after this. Nice work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


"You're being convicted of first degree murder." This line should probably read "charged with"!

Posted 8 Years Ago


I'm very excited to read more!!! This is so good and suspenseful!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Well penned!
Very interesting piece of work, enjoyed the read:)
Thanks for sharing and b-blessed!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Hm, I'm certainly intrigued in where you take this! Very interesting if you purposely had the officer say "convicted" instead of "charged with". Is he impersonating a cop? Can't wait to read more!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Brinleigh Bailey

8 Years Ago

Thank you! I hope you stay tuned!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
Aah, Red Rum, murder in a mirror. How could Will say you were being "convicted of murder?" Has the justice system taken cost-cutting measures to streamline the system, "guilty until proven...well, just guilty!" Brinleigh, your writing is so good that I had to jump on that live wire before it hurt someone. Judging from just a small sample of your storytelling it's easy to see you have that gift...I know I told you that I can't read long writes (stories, chapters and books) due to my bipolar and anxiety disorders, but parceled out in this size writes I could read your work if it was "War and Peace." Just please tell me how one can be convicted before being arraigned? Can't wait to see 'the day before.' Your writing is excellent, so please ignore my insolence. Nice basis for a wonderful story. take care...dan

Posted 8 Years Ago


Brinleigh Bailey

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much! There is some deceit involved as far as being "convicted" goes, but I don't want.. read more
dan

8 Years Ago

Oh so it WAS intentional. Now that's a horse of a different color. Like blue. Now I REALLY can't wai.. read more
Sounds like it could be an interesting story! :) The only thing I would change is maybe the cop should say "charged with first degree murder." Unless him saying convicted was for a particular purpose (like he's in on framing her or knows something about it). Otherwise... innocent until proven guilty, and she wouldn't be convicted until the end of her trial. But good start! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Brinleigh Bailey

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much! And you're seeing into the forthcoming chapters... I don't want to give anything.. read more
Shawna

8 Years Ago

I'm seeing a lot of comments similar to mine, even though it was likely purposeful that this officer.. read more

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

863 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 6, 2015
Last Updated on June 6, 2015
Tags: police, conviction, guilty, innocent


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..