The Pursuit Of Happiness

The Pursuit Of Happiness

A Story by broken_souvenir
"

This is actually an experiment. a girl sets out to find a meaning to her life.......not quite impressive.....but nothing is bad in experimenting!!!!

"

Is life all about coming in and going out? No, I don’t think so. Did we enter this world to simply run for the exit? No, I don’t think so. Do things come and go out of your life as if they never existed? No, I don’t think so. Were we born to die? No, I didn’t think so. And that’s when I stopped looking at the dirt under my feet and started looking at my opened palm. Those stretched out fingers seemed to point a direction! I was so curious about the direction my fingers were pointing to that I decided of knowing it at any cost! Then I asked a passing by old man, “sir, do you know where my fingers are pointing?” he replies with a smile, “where are you expecting it to? Off course it is pointing straight towards the end of your life.” I thanked him and started walking. After a few meters I met a young lady and again I asked her the same question. She said, “Towards your desires!” I thanked her and walked away. After sometime I met a small kid and I didn’t fell shy to ask him the same question. He thought for some time and answered, “I guess your fingers are pointing at the pond over there!” I thanked him too and walked to the pond.

I reached the pond and bent down at the clear water. And I saw a girl who looked so familiar! I asked her, with my palms open, “where do my fingers point?” but before the girl could say anything, I saw my fingers pointing straight down ay her! I was quite taken aback and asked her or almost shouted at her. “was I born to reach you? Did I take all the efforts to reach you and end my journey in you?” the girl in the water seemed to smile. And she spoke in my mind. “oh! Poor girl, I’m not ‘the girl’……. I’m ‘the you’! you were born to recognize yourself and place yourself within the world. You didn’t end your journey in you but have started it. It’s not about people entering your world and staying or not, its all about the impression they create. Just recall your journey. What did the old man say? He talked of the end because he represents the society that has fulfilled all its duty and have found the meaning of their life. Then, the young lady, she represents the society which is on its way to its destiny. She talks of the pursuit to fulfill your needs and desires. The kid talks the present. He represents the society that is yet to set out like you, yet to open its palm. Those were some characters that came and went by. Now let’s see the impressions they have made in you. The kid helped you to realize who you were. Unless you had seen the pond you wouldn’t have known it. The young lady helped you to respect your desires. The old man showed you the right direction you had to go after you were done with everything. Each character we saw reflected happiness. The lady reflected the happiness of discovering yourself, the old man reflected the happiness of feeling of contempt, the kid reflected the happiness of entering the new world. So, ‘you’ make your world. Life is not about entry and exit. It’s about the time you spend between the two doors. Its about realizing yourself and discovering your passion. Its about the pleasure you give and take!” 

Those words of the girl seemed to drive away all the mist from my eyes! I stood and looked around at the huge world and the long life lying in front of me. It all seemed so new to me. And that’s when I realized that life was all about the pursuit of happiness!!!!!

 

© 2014 broken_souvenir


Author's Note

broken_souvenir
ignore any spelling or grammar errors.......i'm expecting some advise.!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on September 23, 2014
Last Updated on September 23, 2014
Tags: life, happiness, lessons

Author

broken_souvenir
broken_souvenir

India



About
a 18 year old out in the ocean of writers....finding a way to reach her summit. more..

Writing