The Grave

The Grave

A Story by Brooklyn

I followed my mother and father through the iron gates and into the cemetery. They walked side by side up the dirt path. They had long ago memorized the way to the particular headstone that we were walking toward. My mother knelt by the grave as she always did. The autumn leaves crunched under her weight. The trees had mostly shed their leaves by this time in November. November seventeenth. My birthday.

My mother’s shoulder quaked in sobs and she buried her face in her hands. My father knelt down to comfort her. He held her as she cried and soon tears began their shaky path down his tanned face, dampening his black beard.

I stood near by, watching them. I looked sadly at the grave and decided to join my parents by it. I put my hand on my mother’s shoulder and she shivered.

We stayed like that for a long time. Until my mother’s tears run dry and she stood up. She took my father’s hand and turned away from the headstone. They began walking tot the silver Saturn parked by the road outside of the gates.

She looked back at the grave fleetingly. “We’ll be with you one day,” she whispered to the stone. Sooner than you think, I thought, but didn’t say anything out loud.

 I know what happens next. I know that my mother begins to cry again in the car as she is driving. She’s not going to see the little boy who runs into the road after his ball. When she does see him, all there is left to do is swerve. The impact of them hitting an oak causes her to die instantly and my father to die seconds later.

I take one last look at the headstone. Alexandra Carla Morgan~ born and died on November 17th 1995.

I’ll see you very soon, Mother.  

© 2012 Brooklyn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. It's ... heart-touching. It makes one think about death and how easily it can happen.

Someting I picked up:
Line 3: ...walking towardS
3rd paragraph: "near by" is one word.

xx

Posted 11 Years Ago


I love this, like, omg.
the only thing is I'd take out the birthday thing at the beginning, it gives it away and if it hadn't, I probably would have burst into tears when you come out right and say it.
Amazing story :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Brooklyn, I did not see it coming. I assumed that this was a new child with them. Wow! ~shivers down my spine~

You have a way with crafting words. You take your time with your characters and you gave me a chance to get to know them in that short while.

Very good write...I really enjoyed it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Oh

Posted 11 Years Ago


Really sad story!! But I still love it! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Well, that was a plot twist. I really like this, great job, Brooklyn

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

310 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 30, 2012
Last Updated on August 30, 2012

Author

Brooklyn
Brooklyn

why do you want to know?, MA



About
I'm a fourteen year old girl that is now in her freshman year of highschool. wish me luck!. I'm awful at spelling, and I need to work on "down time" in stories. I also can't seem to write one book for.. more..

Writing
But Not But Not

A Poem by Brooklyn


Nightmares Nightmares

A Poem by Brooklyn


Insanity Insanity

A Story by Brooklyn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


But Not But Not

A Poem by Brooklyn